Convert WD 640GB Elements FAT32 to NTFS

Bob

Convert WD 640GB Elements FAT32 to NTFS
It's a new drive with nothing on it.
I started converting it from an Amin command prompt
about 5 hours ago.

The LED on the drive is flashing and the Task Manager
shows it's running but other than that I have no indication
that it is in fact actually running.

Below is what the command prompt window displays.
It has not changed at all in the 5 hours.

Has anyone else experienced this?

How long does this process usually take?

Windows is verifying files and folders...
File and folder verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.
624,976,672 KB total disk space.
160 KB in 5 hidden files.
32 KB in 1 folders.
32 KB in 1 files.
624,976,416 KB are available.

32,768 bytes in each allocation unit.
19,530,521 total allocation units on disk.
19,530,513 allocation units available on disk.

Determining disk space required for file system conversion...
Total disk space: 625129272 KB
Free space on volume: 624976416 KB
Space required for conversion: 843485 KB
Converting file system
Tom

Re: Convert WD 640GB Elements FAT32 to NTFS
I think I recall that converting an empty drive or partition took very
little time...

-tom

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 17:00:12 -0700, wrote:

> It's a new drive with nothing on it.
> I started converting it from an Amin command prompt
> about 5 hours ago.
>
> The LED on the drive is flashing and the Task Manager
> shows it's running but other than that I have no indication
> that it is in fact actually running.
>
> Below is what the command prompt window displays.
> It has not changed at all in the 5 hours.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?
>
> How long does this process usually take?

Peter Foldes

Re: Convert WD 640GB Elements FAT32 to NTFS
2 minutes for 500 GIG drive here

--
Peter

"Tom" <none@no.net> wrote in message newsp.urg8afuxts5gvq@daddy3...
>I think I recall that converting an empty drive or partition took very
> little time...
>
> -tom
>
> On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 17:00:12 -0700, wrote:
>
>> It's a new drive with nothing on it.
>> I started converting it from an Amin command prompt
>> about 5 hours ago.
>>
>> The LED on the drive is flashing and the Task Manager
>> shows it's running but other than that I have no indication
>> that it is in fact actually running.
>>
>> Below is what the command prompt window displays.
>> It has not changed at all in the 5 hours.
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this?
>>
>> How long does this process usually take?

LVTravel

"Bob" <nowhere@nowhere/net> wrote in message
> It's a new drive with nothing on it.
> I started converting it from an Amin command prompt
> about 5 hours ago.
>
> The LED on the drive is flashing and the Task Manager
> shows it's running but other than that I have no indication
> that it is in fact actually running.
>
> Below is what the command prompt window displays.
> It has not changed at all in the 5 hours.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?
>
> How long does this process usually take?
>

> Windows is verifying files and folders...
> File and folder verification is complete.
> Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.
> 624,976,672 KB total disk space.
> 160 KB in 5 hidden files.
> 32 KB in 1 folders.
> 32 KB in 1 files.
> 624,976,416 KB are available.
>
> 32,768 bytes in each allocation unit.
> 19,530,521 total allocation units on disk.
> 19,530,513 allocation units available on disk.
>
> Determining disk space required for file system conversion...
> Total disk space: 625129272 KB
> Free space on volume: 624976416 KB
> Space required for conversion: 843485 KB
> Converting file system

Why convert an empty drive. Simply reformat with NTFS. Much better than
attempting the convert as there may be issues with sector boundaries. See
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php

Bob

Re: Convert WD 640GB Elements FAT32 to NTFS
Thanks LVTravel!

That is exactly what I eventually did and it worked
like a charm.

LVTravel wrote:

> "Bob" <nowhere@nowhere/net> wrote in message
>> It's a new drive with nothing on it.
>> I started converting it from an Amin command prompt
>> about 5 hours ago.
>>
>> The LED on the drive is flashing and the Task Manager
>> shows it's running but other than that I have no indication
>> that it is in fact actually running.
>>
>> Below is what the command prompt window displays.
>> It has not changed at all in the 5 hours.
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this?
>>
>> How long does this process usually take?
>>

>> Windows is verifying files and folders...
>> File and folder verification is complete.
>> Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.
>> 624,976,672 KB total disk space.
>> 160 KB in 5 hidden files.
>> 32 KB in 1 folders.
>> 32 KB in 1 files.
>> 624,976,416 KB are available.
>>
>> 32,768 bytes in each allocation unit.
>> 19,530,521 total allocation units on disk.
>> 19,530,513 allocation units available on disk.
>>
>> Determining disk space required for file system conversion...
>> Total disk space: 625129272 KB
>> Free space on volume: 624976416 KB
>> Space required for conversion: 843485 KB
>> Converting file system

> Why convert an empty drive. Simply reformat with NTFS. Much better
> than attempting the convert as there may be issues with sector
> boundaries. See http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php

Trying to convert external drive from Fat32 to NTFS G@ry microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 07-22-2010 03:43
Keine Rechte bei Convert von Fat32 zu NTFS Sven Brodler microsoft.public.de.windows.vista.administration 1 08-09-2008 11:40
FAT32 to NTFS WIBLEY Software Problems 0 05-25-2008 06:02
Help FAT32 convert to NTFS =?Utf-8?B?SmF5IFBlZQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 4 02-26-2007 05:50
Convert drive from NTFS to FAT32 in Vista =?Utf-8?B?bWFya3VzYWxsZW4=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 5 12-14-2006 12:07