"Copy as path" quoting

Daniel Noll

"Copy as path" quoting
I just recently discovered "Copy as path" when holding down shift and
right clicking a file or folder.

Problem is it turns out that it puts quotes around the path so I often
have to manually delete the quotes after pasting the path.

I don't suppose there is some way to change the default behaviour. :-)

Daniel

Lee

Re: "Copy as path" quoting

"Daniel Noll" <daniel@nuix.com> wrote in message
>I just recently discovered "Copy as path" when holding down shift and right
>clicking a file or folder.
>
> Problem is it turns out that it puts quotes around the path so I often
> have to manually delete the quotes after pasting the path.
>
> I don't suppose there is some way to change the default behaviour. :-)
>
> Daniel

I don't know but why do you want the quotes off?

Daniel Noll

Re: "Copy as path" quoting
Lee wrote:

> "Daniel Noll" <daniel@nuix.com> wrote in message
>> I just recently discovered "Copy as path" when holding down shift and
>> right clicking a file or folder.
>>
>> Problem is it turns out that it puts quotes around the path so I often
>> have to manually delete the quotes after pasting the path.
>>
>> I don't suppose there is some way to change the default behaviour. :-)
>>
>> Daniel

> I don't know but why do you want the quotes off?

1. Pasting a path into another application with the quotes on does not
work. Try pasting into Internet Explorer or Firefox, for example.

2. Pasting any string into an IDE might cause the IDE to escape the
quotes, and besides, in general you don't want the quotes on a path
in this scenario in the first place.

Daniel

Lee

Re: "Copy as path" quoting

"Daniel Noll" <daniel@nuix.com> wrote
> Lee wrote:
>>
>> "Daniel Noll" <daniel@nuix.com> wrote in message
>>> I just recently discovered "Copy as path" when holding down shift and
>>> right clicking a file or folder.
>>>
>>> Problem is it turns out that it puts quotes around the path so I often
>>> have to manually delete the quotes after pasting the path.
>>>
>>> I don't suppose there is some way to change the default behaviour. :-)
>>>
>>> Daniel

>> I don't know but why do you want the quotes off?

> 1. Pasting a path into another application with the quotes on does not
> work. Try pasting into Internet Explorer or Firefox, for example.

Why would you paste an application path into a browser?

> 2. Pasting any string into an IDE might cause the IDE to escape the
> quotes, and besides, in general you don't want the quotes on a path
> in this scenario in the first place.

I see. My point was that the Run line in Windows ignores quotes.

> Daniel

Daniel Noll

Re: "Copy as path" quoting
Lee wrote:
> Why would you paste an application path into a browser?

Presumably you wouldn't. I was talking about the path to folders and
files, which you would paste into a browser presumably because you would
want to view them.

>> 2. Pasting any string into an IDE might cause the IDE to escape the
>> quotes, and besides, in general you don't want the quotes on a path
>> in this scenario in the first place.

> I see. My point was that the Run line in Windows ignores quotes.

Yep. The "Run" command ignores quotes, but pasting a path into that
would be a waste of time since you might as well just double click on
the item itself. The Command Prompt sometimes requires quotes, and
sometimes doesn't. And most other applications do strange things unless
the quotes are removed.

> Lee wrote:
>> Why would you paste an application path into a browser?

> Presumably you wouldn't. I was talking about the path to folders and
> files, which you would paste into a browser presumably because you would
> want to view them.

OK, a little odd, I would use the Run interface for that.

>>> 2. Pasting any string into an IDE might cause the IDE to escape the
>>> quotes, and besides, in general you don't want the quotes on a path
>>> in this scenario in the first place.

>> I see. My point was that the Run line in Windows ignores quotes.

> Yep. The "Run" command ignores quotes, but pasting a path into that would
> be a waste of time since you might as well just double click on the item
> itself.

You might not be at the level of the particular file or folder at that time,
so pasting a whole path that you had on the clipboard would be quicker than
burrowing down with Explorer.

> The Command Prompt sometimes requires quotes, and sometimes doesn't. And
> most other applications do strange things unless the quotes are removed.

OK

Daniel Noll

Re: "Copy as path" quoting
Lee wrote:

> "Daniel Noll" <daniel@nuix.com> wrote in message
>> Lee wrote:
>>> Why would you paste an application path into a browser?

>> Presumably you wouldn't. I was talking about the path to folders and
>> files, which you would paste into a browser presumably because you
>> would want to view them.

> OK, a little odd, I would use the Run interface for that.

I wouldn't. The Firefox window is already there, I don't need a second
one. :-)

The programming use case is much more common anyway.

> Lee wrote:
>>
>> "Daniel Noll" <daniel@nuix.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Presumably you wouldn't. I was talking about the path to folders and
>>> files, which you would paste into a browser presumably because you would
>>> want to view them.

>> OK, a little odd, I would use the Run interface for that.

> I wouldn't. The Firefox window is already there, I don't need a second
> one. :-)

Not to beat a horse, but right above you said you wouldn't paste an
application path into a browser, but then you said you would. If you are
trying to confuse me you're succeeding.

> The programming use case is much more common anyway.

Among programmers, no doubt..

> Daniel

Daniel Noll

Re: "Copy as path" quoting
Lee wrote:
> "Daniel Noll" <daniel@nuix.com> wrote in message
>> Lee wrote:
>>>
>>> "Daniel Noll" <daniel@nuix.com> wrote in message

>>> OK, a little odd, I would use the Run interface for that.

>> I wouldn't. The Firefox window is already there, I don't need a
>> second one. :-)

> Not to beat a horse, but right above you said you wouldn't paste an
> application path into a browser, but then you said you would. If you are
> trying to confuse me you're succeeding.

I would not paste an *APPLICATION PATH* into a browser.

I would paste the path to *FOLDERS* and *FILES*.

There is no contradiction here. Just someone who isn't reading very
carefully.

Daniel

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: "Copy as path" quoting
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:44:44 +1000, Daniel Noll <daniel@nuix.com>

>I just recently discovered "Copy as path" when holding down shift and
>right clicking a file or folder.

>Problem is it turns out that it puts quotes around the path so I often
>have to manually delete the quotes after pasting the path.

It's tricky, because some contexts require these quotes (else the
first space is taken as delimiting between partameters) while other
contexts won't work with them (e.g. if appending to another path).

It's one of those "can't please everyone" things, or rather, can't be
compatible with all contexts. Perhaps there's an extra modifying key
hold to change the behaviour, e.g. Ctl+Shift?

I'm on a ten-year lunch break