Problem combining seperate partitions in VISTA

atomicular87

Problem combining seperate partitions in VISTA

Hi

I have a desktop with windows vista and windows xp installed both on
SEPERATE PARTITIONS (same drive, i have a HDD of 500 GB)

XP Pro is installed on C which is a ''logical drive'' and Vista
Ultimate is installed on D which is a ''primary partition'', i have
total 7 partitions (C, D, E, F, G, H, I) which i made using the windows
installations software when installing windows XP Pro, all partitions
have the NTFS file system.

This was the background

Now i filled D partition and wanted to extend it, i read a thread about
the vista computer management thingy and using that i shrinked drive H
and I and the free space combined biving me a free space of some 75 GB,

now i want to merge this with D but i cant, when i right click on the D
partition in the utility programme, the EXTEND PARTITION option is in
grey (i.e. not available) the only option available is delete drive, i
right clicked on the free space block and it gives me only one option
new simple drive,

after this i emptied the D partition and move the data to other
partitions temporarily, deleted the D partition but in vein, the free
space from D doesent combine with the free space i got from H and I so
now i have a 100GB of free space and a 75 GB of free space two seperate
blocks which do not combine,

if they dont combine its not a problem but when i try to create the D
partition again using the NEW SIMPLE PARTITION option (the only option
available) the total free space available for the partition is 100 GB
and not 175 GB.

I know this thread has gone quite long but i have a problem and i need
to tell you the complete story,

Anyone who can help me please help me i am really stuck

Waiting for your replies

Cheers

--
atomicular87
atomicular87's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/83055.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Mike Torello

Re: Problem combining seperate partitions in VISTA
atomicular87 <atomicular87.3pm3rb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have a desktop with windows vista and windows xp installed both on
>SEPERATE PARTITIONS (same drive, i have a HDD of 500 GB)
>
>XP Pro is installed on C which is a ''logical drive'' and Vista
>Ultimate is installed on D which is a ''primary partition'', i have
>total 7 partitions (C, D, E, F, G, H, I) which i made using the windows
>installations software when installing windows XP Pro, all partitions
>have the NTFS file system.
>
>This was the background
>
>Now i filled D partition and wanted to extend it, i read a thread about
>the vista computer management thingy and using that i shrinked drive H
>and I and the free space combined biving me a free space of some 75 GB,
>
>now i want to merge this with D but i cant, when i right click on the D
>partition in the utility programme, the EXTEND PARTITION option is in
>grey (i.e. not available) the only option available is delete drive, i
>right clicked on the free space block and it gives me only one option
>new simple drive,
>
>after this i emptied the D partition and move the data to other
>partitions temporarily, deleted the D partition but in vein, the free
>space from D doesent combine with the free space i got from H and I so
>now i have a 100GB of free space and a 75 GB of free space two seperate
>blocks which do not combine,
>
>if they dont combine its not a problem but when i try to create the D
>partition again using the NEW SIMPLE PARTITION option (the only option
>available) the total free space available for the partition is 100 GB
>and not 175 GB.
>
>I know this thread has gone quite long but i have a problem and i need
>to tell you the complete story,
>
>Anyone who can help me please help me i am really stuck
>
>Waiting for your replies
>
>Cheers

You need a third-party partitioning manager. Vista's isn't robust
enough.

Google EASEUS to find a good freebie.

If you don't mind paying for one, Google Acronis Disk Director.
Fantastic.
atomicular87

Re: Problem combining seperate partitions in VISTA

thanks for the reply

actually i have found a different alternative although it was very time
consuming but it worked

I created D partition again then shrinked it to smaller size which is
equal to another partition

then deleted the old partition so the free space comes next to the free
space i got from H and I partition and created a 175 GB partition

its like if you get free space in one line with no other partition in
between you can get this right