Vista SEARCH Can't FIND - Any Ideas?

Confused_in_Houston

Vista SEARCH Can't FIND - Any Ideas?
I bought this HP laptop about a month ago, loaded with Vista (home version I
guess). I'm trying to search a directory that has txt files. And Vista
never finds anything there. I've searched for words in the contents of the
file - words I know are there and it brings back nothing. I've searched for
file-titles that I can see while I'm typing in the search term and it returns
nothing. What gives? Is there a work-around or a patch or does Microsoft
just not care?

Thanks!!
Mike Torello

Re: Vista SEARCH Can't FIND - Any Ideas?
Confused_in_Houston <ConfusedinHouston@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I bought this HP laptop about a month ago, loaded with Vista (home version I
>guess). I'm trying to search a directory that has txt files. And Vista
>never finds anything there. I've searched for words in the contents of the
>file - words I know are there and it brings back nothing. I've searched for
>file-titles that I can see while I'm typing in the search term and it returns
>nothing. What gives? Is there a work-around or a patch or does Microsoft
>just not care?
>
>Thanks!!

One of the most frequent complaints about Vista is its search
function.

I disabled it and indexing (Admin Tooks, Services) right out of the
chute and use Agent Ransack for my searches.

A newer, prettier one is Super Finder XT with all the bells and
whistles. It's not as fast as Agent Ransack.

Mike Torello <torellom@chicoplt.com> wrote:

>Confused_in_Houston <ConfusedinHouston@discussions.microsoft.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I bought this HP laptop about a month ago, loaded with Vista (home version I
>>guess). I'm trying to search a directory that has txt files. And Vista
>>never finds anything there. I've searched for words in the contents of the
>>file - words I know are there and it brings back nothing. I've searched for
>>file-titles that I can see while I'm typing in the search term and it returns
>>nothing. What gives? Is there a work-around or a patch or does Microsoft
>>just not care?
>>
>>Thanks!!

>One of the most frequent complaints about Vista is its search
>function.
>
>I disabled it and indexing (Admin Tooks, Services) right out of the
>chute and use Agent Ransack for my searches.
>
>A newer, prettier one is Super Finder XT with all the bells and
>whistles. It's not as fast as Agent Ransack.

Forgot to mention: both are FREE.
R. C. White

Re: Vista SEARCH Can't FIND - Any Ideas?
Hi, Confused.

> I bought this HP laptop about a month ago, loaded with Vista (home version
> guess).

Please don't guess about something this important. With Vista, as with any
Windows version in the past decade or more, to find your version, just press
<Win>+<Break>. That is, use the Windows logo key (often labeled "Start" -
it has the little flag on it) like a Shift key while you press the
Pause/Break key (in the upper right area of most keyboards).

The System Properties page should pop up on your screen and there at the top
it will show your exact "Windows edition". Then you won't have to guess
anymore. Also, further down the page, after "System type:", it will say if
it is a 64-bit Operating System. It will also tell you much more
information that you need to know about your computer and your Vista
operating system.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA