Remove annoying scan and fix

Peter Hucker

Remove annoying scan and fix
Since XP, we don't have to "safely remove hardware" to take out a USB memory stick, write-behind caching is sensibly disabled for removable devices. But Vista is very annoyingly telling me off every time I put the stick back in. How do I turn this awful message off?

Richard Urban

Re: Remove annoying scan and fix
If you are using a U3 memory stick it is the U3 programming that is yelling
at you - not Vista.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Peter Hucker" <none@spam.com> wrote in message newsp.ura45xyp4buhsv@i7...
> Since XP, we don't have to "safely remove hardware" to take out a USB
> memory stick, write-behind caching is sensibly disabled for removable
> devices. But Vista is very annoyingly telling me off every time I put the
> stick back in. How do I turn this awful message off?
>
> --
> http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
> http://www.petersphotos.com

> signature database 3957 (20090324) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3957 (20090324) __________

http://www.eset.com

Gordon

Re: Remove annoying scan and fix
"Peter Hucker" <none@spam.com> wrote in message newsp.ura45xyp4buhsv@i7...
> Since XP, we don't have to "safely remove hardware" to take out a USB
> memory stick,

It's here on my Vista Home Premium...are you sure it's not been hidden in
the Systray?

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Peter Hucker

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:19:17 -0000, Gordon <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Peter Hucker" <none@spam.com> wrote in message newsp.ura45xyp4buhsv@i7...
>> Since XP, we don't have to "safely remove hardware" to take out a USB
>> memory stick,

> It's here on my Vista Home Premium...are you sure it's not been hidden in
> the Systray?

I don't want to use it though! It's not necessary! Only Windows 2000 and earlier were stupid enough to delay writes to a USB stick so you didn't know if it had finished or not. XP and Vista leave the "copying" dialog etc on the screen until it's finished. Plus there is the flashing LED on the stick itself. And if you're only reading from the stick....

What's meaner than a pit bull with AIDS?
The guy that gave it to him.
R. C. White

Re: Remove annoying scan and fix
Hi, Peter.

See if this helps...

In Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc), right-click on the disk (in the left
column of the Graphical View) and choose Properties. On the Policies tab,
make sure to set it to Optimize for Quick removal (no cache), rather than
for Better Performance. Quick removal is the default, but it may have been
changed somehow.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 01:31:41 -0000, R. C. White <rc@grandecom.net> wrote:

> Hi, Peter.
>
> See if this helps...
>
> In Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc), right-click on the disk (in the left
> column of the Graphical View) and choose Properties. On the Policies tab,
> make sure to set it to Optimize for Quick removal (no cache), rather than
> for Better Performance. Quick removal is the default, but it may have been
> changed somehow.
>
> RC

Is that setting saved to the USB stick, or is it in the machine's registry? If it's in the registry, will it then apply to any stick with that drive letter? I use a lot of different sticks.

Two men dressed in pilots’ uniforms walk up the aisle. Both are wearing dark glasses, one is using a guide dog, and the other is tapping his way along the aisle with a cane. Nervous laughter spreads through the cabin, but the men enter the cockpit, the door closes, and the engines start up. The passengers begin glancing nervously around, searching for some sign that this is just a little practical joke. None is forthcoming. The plane moves faster and faster down the runway, and the people sitting in the window seats realize they’re headed straight for the water at the edge of the airport territory. As it begins to look as though the plane will plough into the water, panicked screams fill the cabin. At that moment, the plane lifts smoothly into the air. The passengers relax and laugh a little *****ishly, and soon all retreat into their magazines, secure in the knowledge that the plane is in good hands.
In the cockpit, one of the blind pilots turns to the other and says, “You know, Bob, one of these days, they’re gonna scream too late and we’re all gonna die.”