Need first frame thumbnails of AVI movies as folder icons

ute

Need first frame thumbnails of AVI movies as folder icons
Need first frame thumbnails of AVI movies as folder icons

What can I do to get the *first* frame of AVI movies displayed as thumbnails?
The icon frames which are shown at the moment are from within
the first 10 seconds (=300 frames) of my movies.
(BTW Most of my AVI movies are MJPEG Codec (1280 X 720, 30fps)
and came from a Windows computer (lossless cut using VirtualDub).)
I hope there is an easy way because I have lots of clips...
Thanks!!
ute

RE: Need first frame thumbnails of AVI movies as folder icons
Noone any idea...?

"ute" wrote:

> Need first frame thumbnails of AVI movies as folder icons
>
> What can I do to get the *first* frame of AVI movies displayed as thumbnails?
> The icon frames which are shown at the moment are from within
> the first 10 seconds (=300 frames) of my movies.
> (BTW Most of my AVI movies are MJPEG Codec (1280 X 720, 30fps)
> and came from a Windows computer (lossless cut using VirtualDub).)
> I hope there is an easy way because I have lots of clips...
> Thanks!!

Sonny Wortzik

Re: Need first frame thumbnails of AVI movies as folder icons
On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 11:13:02 -0700, ute
<ute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Noone any idea...?

Ain't lookin' good.

>"ute" wrote:
>
>> Need first frame thumbnails of AVI movies as folder icons
>>
>> What can I do to get the *first* frame of AVI movies displayed as thumbnails?
>> The icon frames which are shown at the moment are from within
>> the first 10 seconds (=300 frames) of my movies.
>> (BTW Most of my AVI movies are MJPEG Codec (1280 X 720, 30fps)
>> and came from a Windows computer (lossless cut using VirtualDub).)
>> I hope there is an easy way because I have lots of clips...
>> Thanks!!

ute

Re: Need first frame thumbnails of AVI movies as folder icons
No answer yet!

Is there a better place somewhere else to ask my question than here...?

Thanks for any help!

Mike Torello

Re: Need first frame thumbnails of AVI movies as folder icons
ute <ute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>No answer yet!
>
>Is there a better place somewhere else to ask my question than here...?

Nearly three weeks without an answer. And you're still here hoping
against hope.

Did it EVER freaking occur to you to try Googling "avi thumbnails
vista".

http://www.google.com/search?q=avi+t...S284US284&aq=t

There are plenty of things for you to check out there during the next
three weeks.
ute

Re: Need first frame thumbnails of AVI movies as folder icons
Google was my first idea, but I didn't find a solution.
(... really read hundreds of pages!!!)

"Mike Torello" wrote:

> ute <ute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >No answer yet!
> >
> >Is there a better place somewhere else to ask my question than here...?

> Nearly three weeks without an answer. And you're still here hoping
> against hope.
>
> Did it EVER freaking occur to you to try Googling "avi thumbnails
> vista".
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=avi+t...S284US284&aq=t
>
> There are plenty of things for you to check out there during the next
> three weeks.

Mike Torello

Re: Need first frame thumbnails of AVI movies as folder icons
ute <ute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Google was my first idea, but I didn't find a solution.
>(... really read hundreds of pages!!!)

Convert the AVI files to WMV files then and be done with it.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html

>"Mike Torello" wrote:
>
>> ute <ute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >No answer yet!
>> >
>> >Is there a better place somewhere else to ask my question than here...?

>> Nearly three weeks without an answer. And you're still here hoping
>> against hope.
>>
>> Did it EVER freaking occur to you to try Googling "avi thumbnails
>> vista".
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=avi+t...S284US284&aq=t
>>
>> There are plenty of things for you to check out there during the next
>> three weeks.

ute

Re: Need first frame thumbnails of AVI movies as folder icons
Thanks for the tip!

I know NCH as a producer of high quality audio software, but didn't know
they also make such stuff.
(BTW If you are already using this application: Are these conversions free
of quality loss...?)

Well... converting to WMV might enable to have the first frame as the
thumbnail, but I want to keep my files in AVI format, because I need to stay
compatible with Mac computers, where AVI is common but WMV is a bit exotic.

It's no problem to change the thumbnail of a AVI file which came from my
Vista PC to the first frame on a Mac, but as soon as the AVI file arrives
back on my Vista-PC it's changed back again! :-(

"Mike Torello" wrote:

> ute <ute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Google was my first idea, but I didn't find a solution.
> >(... really read hundreds of pages!!!)

> Convert the AVI files to WMV files then and be done with it.
>
> http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html

> >> Nearly three weeks without an answer. And you're still here hoping
> >> against hope.
> >>
> >> Did it EVER freaking occur to you to try Googling "avi thumbnails
> >> vista".
> >>
> >> http://www.google.com/search?q=avi+t...S284US284&aq=t
> >>
> >> There are plenty of things for you to check out there during the next
> >> three weeks.

Mike Torello

Re: Need first frame thumbnails of AVI movies as folder icons
ute <ute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the tip!
>
>I know NCH as a producer of high quality audio software, but didn't know
>they also make such stuff.
>(BTW If you are already using this application: Are these conversions free
>of quality loss...?)

Don't know. I use Replay Converter, which I paid for.