Cd burning

=?Utf-8?B?YWxsNGthbGVi?=

Cd burning
I am trying to burn pictures on a cdrw, so that I can add them later. Well,
I went thru one burn and then put the cd back in to burn some more pictures
on it and it won't let me. Now it don't even recognize the pictures that
were already burnt on it. My computer is brand new(only 2 months old) I have
burned millions of pictures on windows xp, so I have an idea of what I am
doing. In Windows XP I never formatted a cdrw. Now when I tried to put a new
cdrw in and format it, it keeps telling me that the format can't be
completed. I am getting really irritated with it. How do you close a disc?
I just seem to be lost with this whole burning experience . I am just about
ready to go back to Windows XP. HELP!!!
Dave Johnson [MSFT]

Re: Cd burning
In Windows Vista, there are two ways to burn files to disc. The new system,
called Live File System, allows you to write to a CD just as if it was a
floppy disk, hard drive, or memory card. Remember that in Widnows XP, you
had to drag all your files to the disc at once. With LFS, each file is
copied to the disc as it's dragged to the CD.

If you are having problems with LFS for some reason, you can make discs the
"xp way," which is called Mastered discs.

To do that, when you insert a CD and see the "Burn a disc" dialog box, click
"Show formatting options" and choose "Mastered."

After that, burning a disc will be just like Windows XP. Note that there is
no need to close or finalize a CDwhen you use the Mastered format.

You can read more about burning discs in Vista in tese help topics:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...316981033.mspx

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...06cbe1033.mspx

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...88f5c1033.mspx

--
Dave Johnson
Windows User Assistance team

=?Utf-8?B?QWxpR2F0b3I=?=

Re: Cd burning
I need to finalize DVDs in order that they will play in my Panasonic
standalone recorder, but I cannot get Windows DVD Maker to do this when I
make a DVD from my Photo Gallery folder. After burning I've tried closing the
session from the context menu on the DVD R/W drive, but this does nothing.
The helpfile says that DVD Maker, by default, finalises discs before
ejection, but mine doesn't. I have confirmed that the default setting has not
been overwritten in my system. Can you suggest what I may be doing wrong,
please?

I have to workaround this problem by copying the DVD to a blank disc using
other burner software set to close the disc.

"Dave Johnson [MSFT]" wrote:

> In Windows Vista, there are two ways to burn files to disc. The new system,
> called Live File System, allows you to write to a CD just as if it was a
> floppy disk, hard drive, or memory card. Remember that in Widnows XP, you
> had to drag all your files to the disc at once. With LFS, each file is
> copied to the disc as it's dragged to the CD.
>
> If you are having problems with LFS for some reason, you can make discs the
> "xp way," which is called Mastered discs.
>
> To do that, when you insert a CD and see the "Burn a disc" dialog box, click
> "Show formatting options" and choose "Mastered."
>
> After that, burning a disc will be just like Windows XP. Note that there is
> no need to close or finalize a CDwhen you use the Mastered format.
>
> You can read more about burning discs in Vista in tese help topics:
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...316981033.mspx
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...06cbe1033.mspx
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...88f5c1033.mspx
>

> --
> Dave Johnson
> Windows User Assistance team
> Microsoft Corporation

Jdelfino16@yahoo.com

Re: Cd burning
On Apr 23, 10:12 am, AliGator <AliGa...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I need to finalize DVDs in order that they will play in my Panasonic
> standalone recorder, but I cannot get WindowsDVDMaker to do this when I
> make aDVDfrom my Photo Gallery folder. After burning I've tried closing the
> session from the context menu on theDVDR/W drive, but this does nothing.
> The helpfile says thatDVDMaker, by default, finalises discs before
> ejection, but mine doesn't. I have confirmed that the default setting hasnot
> been overwritten in my system. Can you suggest what I may be doing wrong,
> please?
>
> I have to workaround this problem by copying theDVDto a blank disc using
> other burner software set to close the disc.
>

> "Dave Johnson [MSFT]" wrote:
> > In WindowsVista, there are two ways to burn files to disc. The new system,
> > called Live File System, allows you to write to a CD just as if it was a
> > floppydisk, hard drive, or memory card. Remember that in Widnows XP, you
> > had to drag all your files to the disc at once. With LFS, each file is
> > copied to the disc as it's dragged to the CD.

> > If you are having problems with LFS for some reason, you can make discs the
> > "xp way," which is called Mastered discs.

> > To do that, when you insert a CD and see the "Burn a disc" dialog box, click
> > "Show formatting options" and choose "Mastered."

> > After that, burning a disc will be just like Windows XP. Note that there is
> > no need to close or finalize a CDwhen you use the Mastered format.

> > You can read more about burning discs inVistain tese help topics:

> >http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...eb51a-ea6d-4d9...

> >http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...64e60-60aa-4d7...

> >http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...35b0d-b280-458...

> > --
> > Dave Johnson
> > Windows User Assistance team
> > Microsoft Corporation- Hide quoted text -

I'm having the same problem.

AliGator

Re: Cd burning
I have been advised by Microsoft Technical Support that this is a known
problem for which there is a hotfix under test, which has not been made
public. I was given a copy of the hotfix but it did not solve my problem.
MS Technical Support were good and phoned me back to see if the hotfix had
worked. When I told them it hadn't they gave me a ticket # and said they
would escalate the problem. No news so far.
I am sticking with my workaround until Vista is fixed. It's no big deal.
It might help if you too phoned your local MS Support.
I was given a link to KB930917, which discusses the problem. Try:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930917/en-us

"Jdelfino16@yahoo.com" wrote:

> On Apr 23, 10:12 am, AliGator <AliGa...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > I need to finalize DVDs in order that they will play in my Panasonic
> > standalone recorder, but I cannot get WindowsDVDMaker to do this when I
> > make aDVDfrom my Photo Gallery folder. After burning I've tried closing the
> > session from the context menu on theDVDR/W drive, but this does nothing.
> > The helpfile says thatDVDMaker, by default, finalises discs before
> > ejection, but mine doesn't. I have confirmed that the default setting hasnot
> > been overwritten in my system. Can you suggest what I may be doing wrong,
> > please?
> >
> > I have to workaround this problem by copying theDVDto a blank disc using
> > other burner software set to close the disc.
> >

> > "Dave Johnson [MSFT]" wrote:
> > > In WindowsVista, there are two ways to burn files to disc. The new system,
> > > called Live File System, allows you to write to a CD just as if it was a
> > > floppydisk, hard drive, or memory card. Remember that in Widnows XP, you
> > > had to drag all your files to the disc at once. With LFS, each file is
> > > copied to the disc as it's dragged to the CD.

> > > If you are having problems with LFS for some reason, you can make discs the
> > > "xp way," which is called Mastered discs.

> > > To do that, when you insert a CD and see the "Burn a disc" dialog box, click
> > > "Show formatting options" and choose "Mastered."

> > > After that, burning a disc will be just like Windows XP. Note that there is
> > > no need to close or finalize a CDwhen you use the Mastered format.

> > > You can read more about burning discs inVistain tese help topics:

> > >http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...eb51a-ea6d-4d9...

> > >http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...64e60-60aa-4d7...

> > >http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...35b0d-b280-458...

> > > --
> > > Dave Johnson
> > > Windows User Assistance team
> > > Microsoft Corporation- Hide quoted text -

> I'm having the same problem.

cbrenth

Re: Cd burning

Will there ever be an option to change the default CD Burning format to
Mastered, or to eliminate the automatic Live File formatting? If I want
another floppy drive I will use a flash drive or a floppy drive. Having
to change the format every burn is easy to forget and irritating.

--
cbrenth