Why Does It Take So Long To Delete Files?

Pat

Why Does It Take So Long To Delete Files?
When I'm deleting a large number of files, it takes forever. Why is this?
This a new laptop which is supposed to be faster. It has 4 gig memory & a
large hard drive. It is also very slow when emptying the recycle bin. In
fact, everything in Vista seems to be slower than in XP, even though the
older computer was 4 years old. What's the big deal with Vista supposed to
be better? IMO it's not at all.

Pat

Frank Holman

Re: Why Does It Take So Long To Delete Files?
"Pat" <patetc@gmail.com> wrote:

>When I'm deleting a large number of files, it takes forever. Why is this?
>This a new laptop which is supposed to be faster. It has 4 gig memory & a
>large hard drive. It is also very slow when emptying the recycle bin. In
>fact, everything in Vista seems to be slower than in XP, even though the
>older computer was 4 years old. What's the big deal with Vista supposed to
>be better? IMO it's not at all.
>
>Pat

We shall alert the media.
oscar

Re: Why Does It Take So Long To Delete Files?
If it's a new laptop then contact the manufacturer. Before doing that, run an
antivirus scan on your computer. Yahoo! or Google "antivirus software". Also,
get rid of the bloatware.

"Frank Holman" wrote:

> "Pat" <patetc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >When I'm deleting a large number of files, it takes forever. Why is this?
> >This a new laptop which is supposed to be faster. It has 4 gig memory & a
> >large hard drive. It is also very slow when emptying the recycle bin. In
> >fact, everything in Vista seems to be slower than in XP, even though the
> >older computer was 4 years old. What's the big deal with Vista supposed to
> >be better? IMO it's not at all.
> >
> >Pat

> We shall alert the media.

Pat

Re: Why Does It Take So Long To Delete Files?
It's a new HP 1247 laptop and I'm new to Vista (I have 64 bit). It's used
as a personal home computer with no network and no other users.

How do I find out what I can safely get rid of to reduce the bloat and make
it run faster? Is there a website that has a detailed listing in language
that I can understand to tell me what everything does?

I've already changed the setting to high performance rather than the
recommended
one.

Pat

> If it's a new laptop then contact the manufacturer. Before doing that, run
> an
> antivirus scan on your computer. Yahoo! or Google "antivirus software".
> Also,
> get rid of the bloatware.
>
> "Frank Holman" wrote:
>
>> "Pat" <patetc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >When I'm deleting a large number of files, it takes forever. Why is
>> >this?
>> >This a new laptop which is supposed to be faster. It has 4 gig memory &
>> >large hard drive. It is also very slow when emptying the recycle bin.
>> >In
>> >fact, everything in Vista seems to be slower than in XP, even though the
>> >older computer was 4 years old. What's the big deal with Vista supposed
>> >be better? IMO it's not at all.
>> >
>> >Pat

>> We shall alert the media.

Pete

RE: Why Does It Take So Long To Delete Files?
I'm having the same problem but have a work around.

Create a tempoarary folder
Select all of the files you want to delete.
Move them into the tempoarary folder by clicking and dragging, do not cut
and paste
Delete the temporary file.

It's not elegant but it works.