Can't clear read-only attribute on Temp folder

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZEBub3NwYW0ubm9zcGFt?=

Can't clear read-only attribute on Temp folder
I need to clear the RO attribute on C:\Temp. I log-in as Administrator, run
Windows Explorer as administrator, right click on C:\Temp, Properties,
Security and set Full control for all user groups. Then, General tab, clear
Read-only, Apply then on the Confirm Attribute Changes dialog select Apply
changes to this folder, subfolders and files, OK, OK. But when I check
properties again the Read-only attribute is checked!

Please help!

Thanks! ;^)
Richard
Keith Miller MVP

Re: Can't clear read-only attribute on Temp folder
That check box doesn't set or clear the read-only attribute for the folder,
only the contents of the folder. Also know that the read-only attribute on
a folder doesn't prevent a user from writing files to the folder, it just
tells Explorer to process the folder's desktop.ini file.

That being said, to accurately determine whether or not the read-only
attribute is set on a folder, add the attributes column to a detail view in
Windows Explorer. To set or clear the attribute, use the 'attrib' command
from a command prompt window.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

<Richard@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>I need to clear the RO attribute on C:\Temp. I log-in as Administrator,
>run
> Windows Explorer as administrator, right click on C:\Temp, Properties,
> Security and set Full control for all user groups. Then, General tab,
> clear
> Read-only, Apply then on the Confirm Attribute Changes dialog select Apply
> changes to this folder, subfolders and files, OK, OK. But when I check
> properties again the Read-only attribute is checked!
>
> Please help!
>
> Thanks! ;^)
> Richard

R. C. White, MVP

Re: Can't clear read-only attribute on Temp folder
Hi, Richard.

The RO attribute on folders/directories does not mean what it used to.
Perhaps this KB article will help:
You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549/en-us

To quote one sentence from that KB:
"Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a
folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories,
and other programs."

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

<Richard@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>I need to clear the RO attribute on C:\Temp. I log-in as Administrator,
>run
> Windows Explorer as administrator, right click on C:\Temp, Properties,
> Security and set Full control for all user groups. Then, General tab,
> clear
> Read-only, Apply then on the Confirm Attribute Changes dialog select Apply
> changes to this folder, subfolders and files, OK, OK. But when I check
> properties again the Read-only attribute is checked!
>
> Please help!
>
> Thanks! ;^)
> Richard

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZEBub3NwYW0ubm9zcGFt?=

Re: Can't clear read-only attribute on Temp folder
Thanks Keith,
I'm trying to install Adobe Reader. Part way through the installation I get
an error dailog that says: "Windows Installer The Temp folder is on a drive
that is full or is inaccessible. Free up space on the drive or verify that
you have write permission on the Temp folder." I have 107G of free space on
C: so I'm assuming it's a write permission problem. I've tried clearing the
RO attribute on C:\Temp, C:\Windows\Temp and Local Settings\Temp. All show
no R attribute in Explorer details Atributes column but still no luck
installing Reader.

"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

> That check box doesn't set or clear the read-only attribute for the folder,
> only the contents of the folder. Also know that the read-only attribute on
> a folder doesn't prevent a user from writing files to the folder, it just
> tells Explorer to process the folder's desktop.ini file.
>
> That being said, to accurately determine whether or not the read-only
> attribute is set on a folder, add the attributes column to a detail view in
> Windows Explorer. To set or clear the attribute, use the 'attrib' command
> from a command prompt window.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> <Richard@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> >I need to clear the RO attribute on C:\Temp. I log-in as Administrator,
> >run
> > Windows Explorer as administrator, right click on C:\Temp, Properties,
> > Security and set Full control for all user groups. Then, General tab,
> > clear
> > Read-only, Apply then on the Confirm Attribute Changes dialog select Apply
> > changes to this folder, subfolders and files, OK, OK. But when I check
> > properties again the Read-only attribute is checked!
> >
> > Please help!
> >
> > Thanks! ;^)
> > Richard

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZEBub3NwYW0ubm9zcGFt?=

Re: Can't clear read-only attribute on Temp folder
OK, so the RO attribute doesn't mean the folder is read-only. Any ideas as
to why Adobe Reader installer says it's read-only?

"R. C. White, MVP" wrote:

> Hi, Richard.
>
> The RO attribute on folders/directories does not mean what it used to.
> Perhaps this KB article will help:
> You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders
>
> To quote one sentence from that KB:
> "Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a
> folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories,
> and other programs."
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> <Richard@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> >I need to clear the RO attribute on C:\Temp. I log-in as Administrator,
> >run
> > Windows Explorer as administrator, right click on C:\Temp, Properties,
> > Security and set Full control for all user groups. Then, General tab,
> > clear
> > Read-only, Apply then on the Confirm Attribute Changes dialog select Apply
> > changes to this folder, subfolders and files, OK, OK. But when I check
> > properties again the Read-only attribute is checked!
> >
> > Please help!
> >
> > Thanks! ;^)
> > Richard

Richard G. Harper

Re: Can't clear read-only attribute on Temp folder
Ignore the warning, turn UAC back on, install Adobe, then if you must, turn
UAC back off.

<Richard@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>I need to clear the RO attribute on C:\Temp. I log-in as Administrator,
>run
> Windows Explorer as administrator, right click on C:\Temp, Properties,
> Security and set Full control for all user groups. Then, General tab,
> clear
> Read-only, Apply then on the Confirm Attribute Changes dialog select Apply
> changes to this folder, subfolders and files, OK, OK. But when I check
> properties again the Read-only attribute is checked!
>
> Please help!
>
> Thanks! ;^)
> Richard

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZEBub3NwYW0ubm9zcGFt?=

Re: Can't clear read-only attribute on Temp folder
Thanks Richard,
How do I turn UAC on/off?

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Ignore the warning, turn UAC back on, install Adobe, then if you must, turn
> UAC back off.

> <Richard@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> >I need to clear the RO attribute on C:\Temp. I log-in as Administrator,
> >run
> > Windows Explorer as administrator, right click on C:\Temp, Properties,
> > Security and set Full control for all user groups. Then, General tab,
> > clear
> > Read-only, Apply then on the Confirm Attribute Changes dialog select Apply
> > changes to this folder, subfolders and files, OK, OK. But when I check
> > properties again the Read-only attribute is checked!
> >
> > Please help!
> >
> > Thanks! ;^)
> > Richard

dean-dean

Re: Can't clear read-only attribute on Temp folder
Maybe this article from Adobe will help:

Error, "The Temp folder is on a drive that is full..." when installing
Acrobat 8 trial or Adobe Reader 8 (Windows Vista):
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled....cfm?id=333643

> Thanks Richard,
> How do I turn UAC on/off?
>
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> Ignore the warning, turn UAC back on, install Adobe, then if you must,
>> turn
>> UAC back off.

>> <Richard@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> >I need to clear the RO attribute on C:\Temp. I log-in as Administrator,
>> >run
>> > Windows Explorer as administrator, right click on C:\Temp, Properties,
>> > Security and set Full control for all user groups. Then, General tab,
>> > clear
>> > Read-only, Apply then on the Confirm Attribute Changes dialog select
>> > Apply
>> > changes to this folder, subfolders and files, OK, OK. But when I check
>> > properties again the Read-only attribute is checked!
>> >
>> > Please help!
>> >
>> > Thanks! ;^)
>> > Richard

krichey is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't clear read-only attribute on Temp folder
I had the same issue with trying to install Adobe Reader. Solved it by locating the Adobe install file in Downloads folder and then right clicking it and selecting "Run as Administrator".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-dean View Post