Can I set Search back to XP way?

=?Utf-8?B?bGZvcmJlcw==?=

Can I set Search back to XP way?
Hi,

I am having problems finding things with the search in Vista. With XP when I
set it to search system and hidden files it stayed that way. It also didn't
give me ABSOLUTELY everything including emails, favourites etc.

All I want to do is to be able to search for a file name and have it list
ONLY the files that have that name. However, I want it to search everywhere.
I would rather it be thorough and find the name than be "fast" and not.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Lara
Ilia Sacson [MS]

Re: Can I set Search back to XP way?
Hello Lara,

By default Vista only searches in the index. If you want it to search more
locations,
1) Open Start->Search,
2) Click on Advanced Search,
3) Check "include non-indexed, hidden, and system files" check box,
4) Under Locations, select where you want to search (like C: drive),
5) Under Name, enter the name of the file you are looking for,
6) Click Search button and wait for a while.

If you'd like to search with these settings often, you can save them by
clicking on the "Save Search" button. They will be stored in the Searches
folder in your user profile (next to Documents, Favorites and etc).

Thanks,
Ilia

"lforbes" <lforbes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am having problems finding things with the search in Vista. With XP when
> set it to search system and hidden files it stayed that way. It also
> didn't
> give me ABSOLUTELY everything including emails, favourites etc.
>
> All I want to do is to be able to search for a file name and have it list
> ONLY the files that have that name. However, I want it to search
> everywhere.
> I would rather it be thorough and find the name than be "fast" and not.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Lara

=?Utf-8?B?bGZvcmJlcw==?=

Re: Can I set Search back to XP way?
Thanks. I will try the SAVE Search option.

Lara