Can't find downloaded files, part 2?

=?Utf-8?B?bXVtcHM=?=

Can't find downloaded files, part 2?
All, I saw the past posts regarding finding downloaded files, but didn't see
anything in them that answered the question and was wondering if there's been
any update on the situation. My specific problem: downloaded a demo version
of Acrobat 8. The download was handled through some download manager I've
never seen before (akamai?). When dl completed, it gave me the option to
"launch". Clicking this did nothing. Tried to find file where I saved it
(my user, documents), don't see it. Tried to download again, and the "save
as" that came up found the file. So...why can that dialog see the file but
Explorer can't? And any thoughts on where that download mgr came from and
why it wouldn't be able to launch the file?
=?Utf-8?B?cm9yeWIx?=

RE: Can't find downloaded files, part 2?
I had problems downloading and opening WMail att. The I found the fix at:
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx #3 look in red box. I uninstalled Norton and
Mcaffe control panel > Programs and features > select program and
uninstall. and everything works great .use all of vistas built in security
but you'll need a anti-virus program.

"mumps" wrote:

> All, I saw the past posts regarding finding downloaded files, but didn't see
> anything in them that answered the question and was wondering if there's been
> any update on the situation. My specific problem: downloaded a demo version
> of Acrobat 8. The download was handled through some download manager I've
> never seen before (akamai?). When dl completed, it gave me the option to
> "launch". Clicking this did nothing. Tried to find file where I saved it
> (my user, documents), don't see it. Tried to download again, and the "save
> as" that came up found the file. So...why can that dialog see the file but
> Explorer can't? And any thoughts on where that download mgr came from and
> why it wouldn't be able to launch the file?

=?Utf-8?B?bXVtcHM=?=

RE: Can't find downloaded files, part 2?
But...1) I'm not having trouble with attachments in e-mail (Eudora) and 2)
I'm not gonna uninstall Norton just so I can download a file!

"roryb1" wrote:

> I had problems downloading and opening WMail att. The I found the fix at:
> www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx #3 look in red box. I uninstalled Norton and
> Mcaffe control panel > Programs and features > select program and
> uninstall. and everything works great .use all of vistas built in security
> but you'll need a anti-virus program.
>
> "mumps" wrote:
>
> > All, I saw the past posts regarding finding downloaded files, but didn't see
> > anything in them that answered the question and was wondering if there's been
> > any update on the situation. My specific problem: downloaded a demo version
> > of Acrobat 8. The download was handled through some download manager I've
> > never seen before (akamai?). When dl completed, it gave me the option to
> > "launch". Clicking this did nothing. Tried to find file where I saved it
> > (my user, documents), don't see it. Tried to download again, and the "save
> > as" that came up found the file. So...why can that dialog see the file but
> > Explorer can't? And any thoughts on where that download mgr came from and
> > why it wouldn't be able to launch the file?

Michael Price

Re: Can't find downloaded files, part 2?
If you click on your name on the start menu it should pull up an explorer
view of all your "special" folders. You should see downloaded files there.

"mumps" <mumps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> All, I saw the past posts regarding finding downloaded files, but didn't
> see
> anything in them that answered the question and was wondering if there's
> been
> any update on the situation. My specific problem: downloaded a demo
> version
> of Acrobat 8. The download was handled through some download manager I've
> never seen before (akamai?). When dl completed, it gave me the option to
> "launch". Clicking this did nothing. Tried to find file where I saved it
> (my user, documents), don't see it. Tried to download again, and the
> "save
> as" that came up found the file. So...why can that dialog see the file
> but
> Explorer can't? And any thoughts on where that download mgr came from and
> why it wouldn't be able to launch the file?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Can't find downloaded files, part 2?
mumps

Where did you download the file from? Was it the Adobe website or a third
party website? It sounds like this Akamai may have been installed prior to
the file downloading? Many websites will install a download manager without
the users knowledge by placing a notice about the download manager being
installed in an obscure location.

Have you looked for a folder called Akamai on the system? Does Akamai appear
in the Control Panel / Programs and Features list as being installed? If
Akamai is a download manager, it probably saves files to it's own download
folder.

If you find any references to this download manager, I would uninstall it
immediately and go to the Adobe website to get the program.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP