deleting news group files

John D

deleting news group files
Cant delete news group files--when I open them and click on file the delete
button is grayed out--must get rid of them !

R. C. White, MVP

Re: deleting news group files
Hi, John.

Could you please define what you mean by "news group files"?

Do you mean individual messages (posts)? Or News server accounts? Or
newsgroup subscriptions? Or something else?

And are you trying to delete them from within Windows Mail? Or Windows
Explorer? Or a Command Prompt window?

Generally speaking, newsgroup messages are stored on the news server, which
is out of the reader's control. We can only delete messages we've
downloaded to our own computer, and even that is not straightforward. For
example, we can Unsubscribe from that newsgroup, then Subscribe again and
set it to download New Messages Only.

SOME news servers will let you delete a message that YOU have posted, but
you'll have to find out if your own news server will let you do this - and
how, and how quickly. In most cases, though, it's like trying to "unring a
bell". And if I've already downloaded your post, you can't delete it from
MY computer.

Of course, you can also change the View to Hide Read Messages.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"John D" <jduruz2@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Cant delete news group files--when I open them and click on file the
> delete button is grayed out--must get rid of them !

John D

Re: deleting news group files
When I do a search for instance ".nws " the files I have accessed from a
newsgroup individual message it is still there. When I open the image and go
to file - delete the command "delete' is grayed out. I am not a subscriber
to any newsgroup. The file seems to reside in App Data but I cant find it.
That is about all the information I can supply
"R. C. White, MVP" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, John.
>
> Could you please define what you mean by "news group files"?
>
> Do you mean individual messages (posts)? Or News server accounts? Or
> newsgroup subscriptions? Or something else?
>
> And are you trying to delete them from within Windows Mail? Or Windows
> Explorer? Or a Command Prompt window?
>
> Generally speaking, newsgroup messages are stored on the news server,
> which is out of the reader's control. We can only delete messages we've
> downloaded to our own computer, and even that is not straightforward. For
> example, we can Unsubscribe from that newsgroup, then Subscribe again and
> set it to download New Messages Only.
>
> SOME news servers will let you delete a message that YOU have posted, but
> you'll have to find out if your own news server will let you do this - and
> how, and how quickly. In most cases, though, it's like trying to "unring
> a bell". And if I've already downloaded your post, you can't delete it
> from MY computer.
>
> Of course, you can also change the View to Hide Read Messages.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "John D" <jduruz2@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> Cant delete news group files--when I open them and click on file the
>> delete button is grayed out--must get rid of them !

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: deleting news group files
John

If you are using Windows Mail, all of the individual newsgroup files are
contained in,

C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail

Each newsgroup that you have previously subscribed to will have a sub-folder
there. Expand the newsgroup account folder and you will see individual
sub-folders for each newsgroup. You can delete the entire folder for that
newsgroup or individual .nws files.

You cannot open a .nws file and then try to delete it, because you cannot
delete a file that is open.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP