Change hard drive icon

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQ=?=

Change hard drive icon
I use a seperate drive for all of my documents
I want to use the Vista documents icon for that drive. Where can I -
1) find the document icon
2) change the hard drive icon to that one

--
Thank you
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Change hard drive icon
Scott

You need to perform the following.

1. In the root of the drive where you want the icon to appear, rihgt click
and select New/Folder. Name the folder Autorun.

2. Open Notepad and enter the following text.

[autorun]
ICON=AUTORUN\xxxx.ICO

Save this file with the name Autorun.INF and place it in the root of
the drive.

The xxxx is trhe name of the Icon file you wish to use.

3. Place this icon in the Autorun Folder that you created.

The problem is finding the icon you wish to use. There are a lot of
different "document" icons in Vista. You may need to use an icon extraction
utility to get a copy of this icon. What program is this icon associated
with?

There are many websites that have many, many icons that are free of charge.
Just make sure that it is in the Windows .ICO format.

Use Google to search for "free icons"

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use a seperate drive for all of my documents
> I want to use the Vista documents icon for that drive. Where can I -
> 1) find the document icon
> 2) change the hard drive icon to that one
>
> --
> Thank you

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQ=?=

Re: Change hard drive icon
the picture here: http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/3231/foldermk3.jpg
shows the typical "Documenten" folder.
--
Thank you

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Scott
>
> You need to perform the following.
>
> 1. In the root of the drive where you want the icon to appear, rihgt click
> and select New/Folder. Name the folder Autorun.
>
> 2. Open Notepad and enter the following text.
>
> [autorun]
> ICON=AUTORUN\xxxx.ICO
>
> Save this file with the name Autorun.INF and place it in the root of
> the drive.
>
> The xxxx is trhe name of the Icon file you wish to use.
>
> 3. Place this icon in the Autorun Folder that you created.
>
> The problem is finding the icon you wish to use. There are a lot of
> different "document" icons in Vista. You may need to use an icon extraction
> utility to get a copy of this icon. What program is this icon associated
> with?
>
> There are many websites that have many, many icons that are free of charge.
> Just make sure that it is in the Windows .ICO format.
>
> Use Google to search for "free icons"
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I use a seperate drive for all of my documents
> > I want to use the Vista documents icon for that drive. Where can I -
> > 1) find the document icon
> > 2) change the hard drive icon to that one
> >
> > --
> > Thank you

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQ=?=

Re: Change hard drive icon
Thanks Ronnie
I would be perfectly happy with the default user "Documents" icon. the one
that's associated with the User folders in Vista.
I'm not interested in fancy free stuff, but if you would recommend an icon
extraction utility, that would help.
I really appreciate your help.
--
Thank you

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Scott
>
> You need to perform the following.
>
> 1. In the root of the drive where you want the icon to appear, rihgt click
> and select New/Folder. Name the folder Autorun.
>
> 2. Open Notepad and enter the following text.
>
> [autorun]
> ICON=AUTORUN\xxxx.ICO
>
> Save this file with the name Autorun.INF and place it in the root of
> the drive.
>
> The xxxx is trhe name of the Icon file you wish to use.
>
> 3. Place this icon in the Autorun Folder that you created.
>
> The problem is finding the icon you wish to use. There are a lot of
> different "document" icons in Vista. You may need to use an icon extraction
> utility to get a copy of this icon. What program is this icon associated
> with?
>
> There are many websites that have many, many icons that are free of charge.
> Just make sure that it is in the Windows .ICO format.
>
> Use Google to search for "free icons"
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I use a seperate drive for all of my documents
> > I want to use the Vista documents icon for that drive. Where can I -
> > 1) find the document icon
> > 2) change the hard drive icon to that one
> >
> > --
> > Thank you

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Change hard drive icon
That icon is here:

%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-112

autorun.inf doesn't seem to like that format, but the registry doesn't mind:

-------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\explorer\DriveIcons\D\DefaultIcon]
@="%SystemRoot%\\system32\\imageres.dll,-112"

--------------------------

Copy the text between the lines & save as a .reg file, them merge into the
registry. You'll need admin privledges to modify HKLM.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

> the picture here: http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/3231/foldermk3.jpg
> shows the typical "Documenten" folder.
> --
> Thank you
>

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Scott
>>
>> You need to perform the following.
>>
>> 1. In the root of the drive where you want the icon to appear, rihgt
>> click
>> and select New/Folder. Name the folder Autorun.
>>
>> 2. Open Notepad and enter the following text.
>>
>> [autorun]
>> ICON=AUTORUN\xxxx.ICO
>>
>> Save this file with the name Autorun.INF and place it in the root of
>> the drive.
>>
>> The xxxx is trhe name of the Icon file you wish to use.
>>
>> 3. Place this icon in the Autorun Folder that you created.
>>
>> The problem is finding the icon you wish to use. There are a lot of
>> different "document" icons in Vista. You may need to use an icon
>> extraction
>> utility to get a copy of this icon. What program is this icon associated
>> with?
>>
>> There are many websites that have many, many icons that are free of
>> charge.
>> Just make sure that it is in the Windows .ICO format.
>>
>> Use Google to search for "free icons"
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I use a seperate drive for all of my documents
>> > I want to use the Vista documents icon for that drive. Where can I -
>> > 1) find the document icon
>> > 2) change the hard drive icon to that one
>> >
>> > --
>> > Thank you

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Change hard drive icon
Scott

There is a program I use called Easy Extract Icon. Easy to use and works
well on Vista. Look near the bottom of the following website.

Easy Extract Icon:
http://www.abacre.com/download.htm

--

> Thanks Ronnie
> I would be perfectly happy with the default user "Documents" icon. the
> one
> that's associated with the User folders in Vista.
> I'm not interested in fancy free stuff, but if you would recommend an icon
> extraction utility, that would help.
> I really appreciate your help.
> --
> Thank you
>

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Scott
>>
>> You need to perform the following.
>>
>> 1. In the root of the drive where you want the icon to appear, rihgt
>> click
>> and select New/Folder. Name the folder Autorun.
>>
>> 2. Open Notepad and enter the following text.
>>
>> [autorun]
>> ICON=AUTORUN\xxxx.ICO
>>
>> Save this file with the name Autorun.INF and place it in the root of
>> the drive.
>>
>> The xxxx is trhe name of the Icon file you wish to use.
>>
>> 3. Place this icon in the Autorun Folder that you created.
>>
>> The problem is finding the icon you wish to use. There are a lot of
>> different "document" icons in Vista. You may need to use an icon
>> extraction
>> utility to get a copy of this icon. What program is this icon associated
>> with?
>>
>> There are many websites that have many, many icons that are free of
>> charge.
>> Just make sure that it is in the Windows .ICO format.
>>
>> Use Google to search for "free icons"
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I use a seperate drive for all of my documents
>> > I want to use the Vista documents icon for that drive. Where can I -
>> > 1) find the document icon
>> > 2) change the hard drive icon to that one
>> >
>> > --
>> > Thank you

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Change hard drive icon
Hi Keith,

I have used this registry trick before to do this. The problem I always have
is determining the number for the icon in the dll? Is there an easy way to
do this?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> That icon is here:
>
> %SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-112
>
> autorun.inf doesn't seem to like that format, but the registry doesn't
> mind:
>
> -------------------------
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\explorer\DriveIcons\D\DefaultIcon]
> @="%SystemRoot%\\system32\\imageres.dll,-112"
>
> --------------------------
>
> Copy the text between the lines & save as a .reg file, them merge into the
> registry. You'll need admin privledges to modify HKLM.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> the picture here: http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/3231/foldermk3.jpg
>> shows the typical "Documenten" folder.
>> --
>> Thank you
>>

>> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> Scott
>>>
>>> You need to perform the following.
>>>
>>> 1. In the root of the drive where you want the icon to appear, rihgt
>>> click
>>> and select New/Folder. Name the folder Autorun.
>>>
>>> 2. Open Notepad and enter the following text.
>>>
>>> [autorun]
>>> ICON=AUTORUN\xxxx.ICO
>>>
>>> Save this file with the name Autorun.INF and place it in the root
>>> of
>>> the drive.
>>>
>>> The xxxx is trhe name of the Icon file you wish to use.
>>>
>>> 3. Place this icon in the Autorun Folder that you created.
>>>
>>> The problem is finding the icon you wish to use. There are a lot of
>>> different "document" icons in Vista. You may need to use an icon
>>> extraction
>>> utility to get a copy of this icon. What program is this icon associated
>>> with?
>>>
>>> There are many websites that have many, many icons that are free of
>>> charge.
>>> Just make sure that it is in the Windows .ICO format.
>>>
>>> Use Google to search for "free icons"
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Ronnie Vernon
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Change hard drive icon
In this case, I just peeked at the desktop.ini file in the Documents folder
& copied that. If I don't know the #, I'll customize a folder with the icon
I want & then look at the desktop.ini file in that.

--

> Hi Keith,
>
> I have used this registry trick before to do this. The problem I always
> have is determining the number for the icon in the dll? Is there an easy
> way to do this?
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>> That icon is here:
>>
>> %SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-112
>>
>> autorun.inf doesn't seem to like that format, but the registry doesn't
>> mind:
>>
>> -------------------------
>> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\explorer\DriveIcons\D\DefaultIcon]
>> @="%SystemRoot%\\system32\\imageres.dll,-112"
>>
>> --------------------------
>>
>> Copy the text between the lines & save as a .reg file, them merge into
>> the registry. You'll need admin privledges to modify HKLM.
>>

>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>
>> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> the picture here: http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/3231/foldermk3.jpg
>>> shows the typical "Documenten" folder.
>>> --
>>> Thank you

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Change hard drive icon
Keith,

Excellent I did not even think about the desktop.ini file.

Thanks

--

> In this case, I just peeked at the desktop.ini file in the Documents
> folder & copied that. If I don't know the #, I'll customize a folder with
> the icon I want & then look at the desktop.ini file in that.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <rv@invalid.org> wrote in message
>> Hi Keith,
>>
>> I have used this registry trick before to do this. The problem I always
>> have is determining the number for the icon in the dll? Is there an easy
>> way to do this?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> That icon is here:
>>>
>>> %SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-112
>>>
>>> autorun.inf doesn't seem to like that format, but the registry doesn't
>>> mind:
>>>
>>> -------------------------
>>> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>>
>>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\explorer\DriveIcons\D\DefaultIcon]
>>> @="%SystemRoot%\\system32\\imageres.dll,-112"

>>> Copy the text between the lines & save as a .reg file, them merge into
>>> the registry. You'll need admin privledges to modify HKLM.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Good Luck,
>>>
>>> Keith
>>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]