Hyperlinks Broken To Files With Spaces In The Names

Ken at LHA

Hyperlinks Broken To Files With Spaces In The Names
Why is it that when clicking on my hyperlinks to files containing spaces in
their titles, the result I get is as follows:
*************************************
The address is not valid

Most likely causes:
There might be a typing error in the address.
If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.

What you can try:
Retype the address.

************************************
The links were all working on my machine with XP Pro. Where the spaces
appear in the filename Vista substitutes the space with '%20' in the
Internet Explorer address bar, and gives me the above error message. Why is
this and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks

Ken at LHA

Re: Hyperlinks Broken To Files With Spaces In The Names
Addendum: To give more insight to this:

If I open the *.mht document with spaces in the name directly with either
Internet Explorer OR Windows Explorer it opens just fine in an Internet
Explorer, and the address in the address bar contains the document title in
it original form (including the spaces).

However, if I attempt to open the same document via a hyperlink in MS Access
(2002) an Internet Explorer window opens BUT the spaces in the document
title have been substituted with %20.

The links work fine on my Dell XP Pro (SP2 and latest updates) machine with
Internet Explorer 7. However, this HP Vista Ultimate (latest updates)
machine gives me the error message. Seems to me to be Vista Ultimate
related.

Using MS Access (Office XP Pro - 2002)

"Ken at LHA" <Ken@LittleHornArchive.com> wrote in message
> Why is it that when clicking on my hyperlinks to files containing spaces
> in their titles, the result I get is as follows:
> *************************************
> The address is not valid
>
> Most likely causes:
> There might be a typing error in the address.
> If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.
>
> What you can try:
> Retype the address.

> ************************************
> The links were all working on my machine with XP Pro. Where the spaces
> appear in the filename Vista substitutes the space with '%20' in the
> Internet Explorer address bar, and gives me the above error message. Why
> is this and what can I do to fix it?
>
> Thanks

Mike Matheny

Ken at LHA wrote:

> Addendum: To give more insight to this:
>
> If I open the *.mht document with spaces in the name directly with
> either Internet Explorer OR Windows Explorer it opens just fine in an
> Internet Explorer, and the address in the address bar contains the
> document title in it original form (including the spaces).
>
> However, if I attempt to open the same document via a hyperlink in MS
> Access (2002) an Internet Explorer window opens BUT the spaces in the
> document title have been substituted with %20.
>
> The links work fine on my Dell XP Pro (SP2 and latest updates)
> machine with Internet Explorer 7. However, this HP Vista Ultimate
> (latest updates) machine gives me the error message. Seems to me to
> be Vista Ultimate related.
>
> Using MS Access (Office XP Pro - 2002)
>
> "Ken at LHA" <Ken@LittleHornArchive.com> wrote in message
> > Why is it that when clicking on my hyperlinks to files containing
> > spaces in their titles, the result I get is as follows:
> > ************************************* The address is not valid
> >
> > Most likely causes:
> > There might be a typing error in the address.
> > If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.
> >
> > What you can try:
> > Retype the address.

> > The links were all working on my machine with XP Pro. Where the
> > spaces appear in the filename Vista substitutes the space with
> > '%20' in the Internet Explorer address bar, and gives me the above
> > error message. Why is this and what can I do to fix it?
> >
> > Thanks

Try delimiting the hyperlink with < and >