When Upgraded to Vista al files andprograms lost

=?Utf-8?B?Q3ViYnkyMw==?=

When Upgraded to Vista al files andprograms lost
OK so first I am running some stupid BIOS because I built my own computer. It
is the Award Workstaion from Phoenix something. Basically it just makes me
press F1 to start my computer now. Well when i first tried to uprgade I htink
this caused the problem. I then got on the phone for over 4 HOURS!!! and
finally I am running Vista. Well stupid me and stupid her the converstaion
had ended before I checked for files and programs. She conveniently told me
to check some websites that worked of course. I was reassured on the phone
about 100 times that I would have all of my files. I think we did a clean
install again and then upgrade again, possibly several times. It took over
four hours. Where are my files? Can I get them? I would be extremely
infuriated if I can't get these files. I have over one hundred school papers,
and all of my music. I really need this stuff back. Please help. Thanks in
advance.

To reiterate
Where are my files? Can I get them?
R. C. White, MVP

Re: When Upgraded to Vista al files andprograms lost
Hi, Cubby.

You left out some VERY important information: Did you reformat your hard
drive at any time in this process?

How many hard drives do you have? How are they partitioned? Were your
files and programs on the same partition as your operating system? Were
they backed up ANYWHERE?

And a few other such questions. You really haven't told us anything about
your computer except that it uses an Award BIOS - which my home-built
computer does, too. You didn't even tell us whether you upgraded (from
what?) or did a clean install.

We want to help you, but we can't if you don't give us some clues. You can
see your computer; we can't. All we know about it is what you tell us. So
far, that's not much.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Cubby23" <Cubby23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK so first I am running some stupid BIOS because I built my own computer.
> It
> is the Award Workstaion from Phoenix something. Basically it just makes me
> press F1 to start my computer now. Well when i first tried to uprgade I
> htink
> this caused the problem. I then got on the phone for over 4 HOURS!!! and
> finally I am running Vista. Well stupid me and stupid her the converstaion
> had ended before I checked for files and programs. She conveniently told
> me
> to check some websites that worked of course. I was reassured on the phone
> about 100 times that I would have all of my files. I think we did a clean
> install again and then upgrade again, possibly several times. It took over
> four hours. Where are my files? Can I get them? I would be extremely
> infuriated if I can't get these files. I have over one hundred school
> papers,
> and all of my music. I really need this stuff back. Please help. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> To reiterate
> Where are my files? Can I get them?

=?Utf-8?B?Q3ViYnkyMw==?=

Re: When Upgraded to Vista al files andprograms lost

OK after calling back again and talking to a manager aswell they were sorry
to say all my info was lost, BUT could be recovered by a tech guy, they say
that the tech guys have some recovery disks.

Although the problem is kinda solved here are the specs and please still
give replies

AMD 64 bit 3200+ 2.0 Ghz
2GB RAM DDR single channel
Radeon X800 GTO 256 RAM
One hard drive Maxtor 250GB
When i had the problem they had me partitioned into 2 parts one w/ the
windows on it and one empty. I have since made it jsut a C drive w/ the total
250GB capacity.
I upgraded from XP home. She had me do all kinds of thing w/ the vista, but
i believe it was a install then another upgrade. In the end I had went
through the "installing" period of 40+ minutes 3 times.
Files were never backed up and before attempting to install again I aksked
again and again if it was necessary they said no no no.
My most wanted files were my music files of which i got most of which sent
from a friend to me now. We share all the CDs anyway. So after a 7hour AIM
transer i got my 1300 songs back.

I would love to hear more back form you guys. And why did I lose my stuff?
And despite how apologetic they sounded I couldn't talk them into giving me
the new Office 2007
Thanks and I hope this is enough info
R. C. White, MVP

Re: When Upgraded to Vista al files andprograms lost
Hi, Cubby.

> OK after calling back again and talking to a manager aswell they were
> sorry
> to say all my info was lost, BUT could be recovered by a tech guy, they
> say
> that the tech guys have some recovery disks.

Calling back WHERE? The supplier who sold you the parts to build your own
computer (motherboard, CPU, RAM, hard disks, etc.)? Your messages say that
you were on the phone with "her" for 4 hours and then several calls after
that. It sounds like "they" are bending over backwards to try to help you.

Even with "some recovery disks", a "tech guy" can't recover files that are
no longer there - or were never there. Those "tech guys" who really know
how to do this charge hundreds or thousands of dollars to recover the files.
Are your files worth that much - to you? If not, you will have to "bite the
bullet", forget those files, and consider this an expensive lesson learned:
For important files, especially those that exist nowhere else in the world,
always have at least two copies stored separately so that one is safe even
if the other is lost.

> And why did I lose my stuff?

Probably because your hard drive got reformatted during your many upgrades
and installations. But it's not clear whether you lost your stuff from your
new HD or your old one.

Your explanation is far too convoluted for me to understand. You said you
got a new 250 GB HD from "them". But you also said you "upgraded" from
WinXP Home Edition. How did you get WinXP onto that new HD so that you
could upgrade from it? How did your precious data files get from your old
disk to the new one? Where is your original disk? Has it been reformatted?
Any chance you could get your files from it?

My long-distance advice (since I can't be there and see your computer) is to
wipe your new HD. Then think through how you want it to be partitioned.
Then boot from the Vista DVD and let Setup create and format at least the
System Partition and install Vista there (Drive C (if you want one or more
other partitions, leave space when creating Drive C . When Vista is up
and running, use Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) to create and format any
additional partitions you may want. Then reinstall all your applications.
Finally, restore whatever data files you are able to locate.

IF you still have your original HD, add it after you have Vista installed
and running. Physically connect it, then use Disk Management to see any
existing partitions. If they are there, use Windows Explorer to copy your
files to your new HD before retiring the old HD.

Good luck!

RC