Rename a public folder

=?Utf-8?B?SMOpbMOobmVfQg==?=

Rename a public folder
Hi! We have Windows Vista Ultimate (in French) and, we don't know why, the
folder called "Musique publique" (Public music) was suddenly renamed to
"Music". The original name of the folder was in French (as our version of
Windows Vista) and now the name is in English. When we try to rename it (with
the original name: "Musique publique"), it doesn't stick. We didn't make that
change: it happened... mysteriously! Does anyone know how to change it back?
Thanks for your help.

Re: Rename a public folder
You deleted the desktop.ini file in the folder that, among other things,
links to language specific display text for the folder and sometimes items
in the folder.

I don't know what foreign contents are in the file. This is the english one.
It is possible that yours is identical (the files it points to have french
so desktop.ini are same across language?).

The english one is usually exactly the same as the named item. This will
show Music (for english localisation taken from the shell locacalisation)
for the item called Music.

Another reason I haven't checked if Vista follows all previous rules but the
folder needs either the System or Read Only (doesn't mean anything on a
folder except read the desktop.ini as folders can't be read only) attribute
set. System is similar but on some folders you get a message "This is a
system folder, sure you want to delete?).

[LocalizedFileNames]
Amanda.wma=@%systemroot%\system32\SampleRes.dll,-118
Despertar.wma=@%systemroot%\system32\SampleRes.dll ,-120
Din Din Wo (Little Child).wma=@%systemroot%\system32\SampleRes.dll,-121
Distance.wma=@%systemroot%\system32\SampleRes.dll,-122
I Guess You're Right.wma=@%systemroot%\system32\SampleRes.dll,-124
I Ka Barra (Your Work).wma=@%systemroot%\system32\SampleRes.dll,-125
Love Comes.wma=@%systemroot%\system32\SampleRes.dll,-128
Muita Bobeira.wma=@%systemroot%\system32\SampleRes.dll,-130
OAM's Blues.wma=@%systemroot%\system32\SampleRes.dll,-131
One Step Beyond.wma=@%systemroot%\system32\SampleRes.dll,-132
Symphony_No_3.wma=@%systemroot%\system32\SampleRes .dll,-134
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21806

"Hélène_B" <Hélène_B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi! We have Windows Vista Ultimate (in French) and, we don't know why, the
> folder called "Musique publique" (Public music) was suddenly renamed to
> "Music". The original name of the folder was in French (as our version of
> Windows Vista) and now the name is in English. When we try to rename it
> (with
> the original name: "Musique publique"), it doesn't stick. We didn't make
> that
> change: it happened... mysteriously! Does anyone know how to change it
> back?
> Thanks for your help.

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Rename a public folder
'Music' is the actual name of the folder. The display name, "Musique
publique", is the result of a command in the 'desktop.ini' file in the
folder. This file is normally marked 'hidden' and 'system', so you need to
set Explorer's options to show these files. 'Desktop.ini' is an ordinary
text file that can be viewed in Notepad. For the Public Music folder, its
contents should be as follows:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21803
InfoTip=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-12689
IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-237

If the file doesn't exist, recreate it using Notepad. If the file does
exist, Explorer is not processing it because the folder has lost its
read-only attribute, which is what tells Explorer to process the contents of
the file. To reset the attribute, open a command prompt window & navigate
to:

"G:\Users\Public"

Type the following:

attrib +r music<Enter>