Using junctions to organize program and user files?

=?Utf-8?B?RmFsY29uNjQ=?=

Using junctions to organize program and user files?
I'm running Vista x64 home premium edition.

I'd like to keep my program files and user files on separate partitions.

I'd prefer to setup a junction (symbolic link) to the separate partitions so
that the system automatically does its thing in the new partitions as if they
were in the original partition.

The problem is getting permission to move the files to the new partition and
delete the old files, etc.

I've tried to use the security tab in the advanced window to change the
owner and permissions but it works on some files and folders but not others.
After much effort I got it to work for all my user files but screwed up the
program files so I had to do a new install.

I've considered running cacl to raise my WIC level to "Trusted Installer"
but would rather try a simpler method if possible.

Are there any other options?

Re: Using junctions to organize program and user files?
Why? Junctions are there because Windows NT can run other operating systems.
One is Unix (OS/2 was the other but no longer included) so NT supports Unix
features such as junctions so unix programs will work. CSRSS (Client Server
Runtime Sub System) is the program that is the Windows OS. (Conversly 16 bit
windows and Dos are run in a Windows program that emulates Dos, not in a NT
sub system).

Windows has it's own way of doing things. Just redirect the folders. Or
Mount a drive in a folder.

"Falcon64" <Falcon64@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Vista x64 home premium edition.
>
> I'd like to keep my program files and user files on separate partitions.
>
> I'd prefer to setup a junction (symbolic link) to the separate partitions
> so
> that the system automatically does its thing in the new partitions as if
> they
> were in the original partition.
>
> The problem is getting permission to move the files to the new partition
> and
> delete the old files, etc.
>
> I've tried to use the security tab in the advanced window to change the
> owner and permissions but it works on some files and folders but not
> others.
> After much effort I got it to work for all my user files but screwed up
> the
> program files so I had to do a new install.
>
> I've considered running cacl to raise my WIC level to "Trusted Installer"
> but would rather try a simpler method if possible.
>
> Are there any other options?

Michael Price

Re: Using junctions to organize program and user files?
Why don't you just create a users folder on the other hard drive, then a
folder with your user ID. Then remap the locations of these files to the new
locations. When you change the location Vista will offer to move all your
files.

You can get to the place to change the locations, by selecting your name on
the start menu and then you will get an explorer window with all your
special folders. Right click and change the location.