Low on Disk Space

=?Utf-8?B?QmFyYmFyYQ==?=

Low on Disk Space
I keep getting the "Low on Disk Space" message. I looked through the threads
and found "many" posts with the same problem. I tried all the suggestions
(hibernate, disk space for restore, etc.) but, still get the message. Since
there are so many of us with this problem, could there be a more global "fix"
from MS? I checked the files used on my D drive for backup and it only takes
up 7.67GB and my C drive is just under half of the space used. (I use Vista
Ultimate 64bit)

Does anyone know if there is a "fix" for this problem from Microsoft for
everyone? Or has anyone had success after trying the fixes provided from the
technical folks in the discussion groups?

Thanks,
--
Barbara
JerryM \(ID\)

Re: Low on Disk Space
Have you tried Disk Cleanup?
Also, when was the last time you did Disk Defragmenter?

"Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I keep getting the "Low on Disk Space" message. I looked through the
>threads
> and found "many" posts with the same problem. I tried all the suggestions
> (hibernate, disk space for restore, etc.) but, still get the message.
> Since
> there are so many of us with this problem, could there be a more global
> "fix"
> from MS? I checked the files used on my D drive for backup and it only
> takes
> up 7.67GB and my C drive is just under half of the space used. (I use
> Vista
> Ultimate 64bit)
>
> Does anyone know if there is a "fix" for this problem from Microsoft for
> everyone? Or has anyone had success after trying the fixes provided from
> the
> technical folks in the discussion groups?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Barbara

=?Utf-8?B?QmFyYmFyYQ==?=

Re: Low on Disk Space
My computer is brand new. I've had it for one month. Yes, I did run a defrag,
and I went through the process to do a disk clean-up, (repeated this process
again today).

--
Barbara

"JerryM (ID)" wrote:

> Have you tried Disk Cleanup?
> Also, when was the last time you did Disk Defragmenter?
>
> "Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I keep getting the "Low on Disk Space" message. I looked through the
> >threads
> > and found "many" posts with the same problem. I tried all the suggestions
> > (hibernate, disk space for restore, etc.) but, still get the message.
> > Since
> > there are so many of us with this problem, could there be a more global
> > "fix"
> > from MS? I checked the files used on my D drive for backup and it only
> > takes
> > up 7.67GB and my C drive is just under half of the space used. (I use
> > Vista
> > Ultimate 64bit)
> >
> > Does anyone know if there is a "fix" for this problem from Microsoft for
> > everyone? Or has anyone had success after trying the fixes provided from
> > the
> > technical folks in the discussion groups?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Barbara

Gerry Cornell

Re: Low on Disk Space
Barbara

How much RAM memory? Right click on the Computer icon on your
Desktop and select Properties to get information.

Whilst there select Advanced Settings, Advanced, Performance
Settings, Advanced, Virtual Memory. What is the setting? Then click
on Change and increase the maximum by 500 mb above what it was set
to. Click on Apply and OK and restart your computer. Please let us
know if that stops the "Low on Disk space" messages appearing?

Are you using graphics / photographic programmes?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> My computer is brand new. I've had it for one month. Yes, I did
> run a defrag,
> and I went through the process to do a disk clean-up, (repeated
> this process
> again today).
>
> --
> Barbara
>

> "JerryM (ID)" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried Disk Cleanup?
>> Also, when was the last time you did Disk Defragmenter?
>>
>> "Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I keep getting the "Low on Disk Space" message. I looked through
>> >the
>> >threads
>> > and found "many" posts with the same problem. I tried all the
>> > suggestions
>> > (hibernate, disk space for restore, etc.) but, still get the
>> > message.
>> > Since
>> > there are so many of us with this problem, could there be a
>> > more global
>> > "fix"
>> > from MS? I checked the files used on my D drive for backup and
>> > it only
>> > takes
>> > up 7.67GB and my C drive is just under half of the space used.
>> > (I use
>> > Vista
>> > Ultimate 64bit)
>> >
>> > Does anyone know if there is a "fix" for this problem from
>> > Microsoft for
>> > everyone? Or has anyone had success after trying the fixes
>> > provided from
>> > the
>> > technical folks in the discussion groups?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > --
>> > Barbara

Steve Urbach

Re: Low on Disk Space
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 12:30:01 -0700, Barbara
<Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My computer is brand new. I've had it for one month. Yes, I did run a defrag,
>and I went through the process to do a disk clean-up, (repeated this process
>again today).

How long you have had a computer has NO (OK little) bearing on needing
a defragment. Updates on a new system alone, will fragment the disk
severely when hundreds of files are updated from the initial release.
Add updating Adobe, Flash Quicktime and other "common" programs found
on most users computers leaves a lot of debris. Using programs with
local, sizable databases (offline news readers, lots of web browsing)
will cause more.
Sounds like a misbehaving Program (open task manager and see where
your memory has gone). REBOOT. Many computers default to HIBERNATE,
which does not clear memory leaks. Check that your "Virtual memory"
has not been incorrectly configured. Lastly, there is no substitute
for RAM, 1G or more of it.

=?Utf-8?B?QmFyYmFyYQ==?=

Re: Low on Disk Space
Hi Gerry,

OK...I completed everything you suggested and then some. However, something
strange (to me) came up at the end of my data collection. D drive is full
according to all the monitors and system checks.

When I click on D drive I see two folders. One folder is titled, "DATA" and
the other one, "RECOVERY". When I click on "DATA" there is another folder
called, "EN". When I click on "EN" there are 21 files, all titled
"FACTORY001, FACTORY002, FACTORY003, and so on. They were all last modified
on 11-29-2001 and all are the exact same size of 48,768KB.

Then, when I go back and click on the "RECOVER" folder, there is absolutely
nothing...no files, no folders, nothing.

I really don't know much about the technical details with computers but, do
you think I should reformat D drive or something? I hope this information
helps. I wasn't sure what was applicable and what wasn't. I was going to
attach or paste a screen capture (I use Snagit8) of a couple of these windows
but couldn't figure out how to do it.

In any case, I hope this helps - and I hope we can get it fixed. Following
are more data for your reading enjoyment. :-)

Thanks again -Barbara

Finally, the information you asked for (and then some) is as follows:
Disk Size/Usage: C drive=44.0GB free of 99.4GB and D drive=32.5MB free of
11.2GB.
RAM=1.96GB
VIRTUAL MEMORY: Total paging size for all drives = 2800MB (I increased it
last night by approximately 500 following your suggestion).
DEFRAG= ran this twice yesterday and again today.
RELIABILITITY AND PERFORMANCE MONITOR=D drive free clusters=8326 total
clusters=2,954,202. 2 partitions on D - sizes 12,124,062,720 start
offset:106,829,936,640 (compared to C drive at 32,256)
RESOURCE OVERVIEW=Nic Broadcom 802.11g network adaptor using 41,960 bits and
has 50,065,574 bits capacity. Disk I/O=Readwrite=Reads 140.7secs + Writes
64/sec

--
Barbara

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> Barbara
>
> How much RAM memory? Right click on the Computer icon on your
> Desktop and select Properties to get information.
>
> Whilst there select Advanced Settings, Advanced, Performance
> Settings, Advanced, Virtual Memory. What is the setting? Then click
> on Change and increase the maximum by 500 mb above what it was set
> to. Click on Apply and OK and restart your computer. Please let us
> know if that stops the "Low on Disk space" messages appearing?
>
> Are you using graphics / photographic programmes?
>
> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My computer is brand new. I've had it for one month. Yes, I did
> > run a defrag,
> > and I went through the process to do a disk clean-up, (repeated
> > this process
> > again today).
> >
> > --
> > Barbara
> >

> > "JerryM (ID)" wrote:
> >
> >> Have you tried Disk Cleanup?
> >> Also, when was the last time you did Disk Defragmenter?

=?Utf-8?B?QmFyYmFyYQ==?=

Re: Low on Disk Space
Steve,

I appreciate your explanation about the defrag on new computers. I checked
task manager and didn't see anything (as far as I could tell), that would eat
up the memory.

I just posted a longer synopsis of what I have done and what I found above -
that is the culprit instead of RAM? In any case, I am in over my head on the
technical side of this problem and am glad you all are here to help.

Thanks,

Barbara

--
Barbara

"Steve Urbach" wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 12:30:01 -0700, Barbara
> <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >My computer is brand new. I've had it for one month. Yes, I did run a defrag,
> >and I went through the process to do a disk clean-up, (repeated this process
> >again today).

> How long you have had a computer has NO (OK little) bearing on needing
> a defragment. Updates on a new system alone, will fragment the disk
> severely when hundreds of files are updated from the initial release.
> Add updating Adobe, Flash Quicktime and other "common" programs found
> on most users computers leaves a lot of debris. Using programs with
> local, sizable databases (offline news readers, lots of web browsing)
> will cause more.
> Sounds like a misbehaving Program (open task manager and see where
> your memory has gone). REBOOT. Many computers default to HIBERNATE,
> which does not clear memory leaks. Check that your "Virtual memory"
> has not been incorrectly configured. Lastly, there is no substitute
> for RAM, 1G or more of it.

Dustin Harper

Re: Low on Disk Space
It sounds like it may be reporting the low disk space on the recovery
partition.

Try making this change in the registry to disable the low disk space
warning, since you know you have the space:

Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
Open HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\
Policies\ Explorer.
If it's not there, create a DWORD value and call it NoLowDiskSpaceChecks.
Double-click on NoLowDiskSpaceChecks, and enter the value 1, and press OK.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
> Steve,
>
> I appreciate your explanation about the defrag on new computers. I checked
> task manager and didn't see anything (as far as I could tell), that would
> eat
> up the memory.
>
> I just posted a longer synopsis of what I have done and what I found
> above -
> space
> that is the culprit instead of RAM? In any case, I am in over my head on
> the
> technical side of this problem and am glad you all are here to help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barbara
>
> --
> Barbara
>

> "Steve Urbach" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 12:30:01 -0700, Barbara
>> <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >My computer is brand new. I've had it for one month. Yes, I did run a
>> >defrag,
>> >and I went through the process to do a disk clean-up, (repeated this
>> >process
>> >again today).

>> How long you have had a computer has NO (OK little) bearing on needing
>> a defragment. Updates on a new system alone, will fragment the disk
>> severely when hundreds of files are updated from the initial release.
>> Add updating Adobe, Flash Quicktime and other "common" programs found
>> on most users computers leaves a lot of debris. Using programs with
>> local, sizable databases (offline news readers, lots of web browsing)
>> will cause more.
>> Sounds like a misbehaving Program (open task manager and see where
>> your memory has gone). REBOOT. Many computers default to HIBERNATE,
>> which does not clear memory leaks. Check that your "Virtual memory"
>> has not been incorrectly configured. Lastly, there is no substitute
>> for RAM, 1G or more of it.

R. C. White, MVP

Re: Low on Disk Space
Hi, Barbara.

> When I click on "EN" there are 21 files, all titled
> "FACTORY001, FACTORY002, FACTORY003, and so on. They were all last
> modified
> on 11-29-2001 and all are the exact same size of 48,768KB.

I suspect this is at least a large part of your problem. Let's see, 21 * 48
MB = just over 1 GB. That doesn't explain all your problem, but my guess is
that this relates to it in some way. And all were modified in 2001? Vista
files don't go back that far! You need to do some serious examination of
what EN means and how it got onto your computer!

Speaking of your computer: You say it's new (just one month), and you gave
us some statistics, but you haven't told us the make or model. Some
manufacturers use hidden partitions and other techniques, so knowing the
maker might give some of us (not me) a clue as to where to look for
"missing" disk space.

> Then, when I go back and click on the "RECOVER" folder, there is
> absolutely
> nothing...no files, no folders, nothing.

Another possible hiding spot for "lost" stuff. Have you set Vista to show
you hidden files and folders? There are two ways for you to see the hidden
stuff. First, in the Control Panel, click Folder Options | View and make 3
changes: Set it to Show hidden files and folders, to NOT Hide extensions
for known file types (doesn't relate to your current problem but, as long as
you're here...), and to NOT Hide protected operating system files (note the
warning and then go ahead).

My favorite way to see EVERYTHING is to open a Command Prompt window and
then use the old Dir command with the /s and /a switches. Dir shows a
listing of files in a Directory (the former name for Folder); the /s
switches lists contents of Subdirectories as well, and /a shows All files,
including Hidden, System, etc., files. At the prompt, type:
dir d:\ /s /a

Be prepared for a long wait as thousands of filenames scroll past. When it
finishes, check the totals to see how many files and folders are there and
how many GB they use; you probably will be amazed! Then, to start narrowing
down your search, look at a folder at a time:
dir d:\recover /s/a

This should show you what is in that Recover folder and you can decide
whether any of it is worth keeping. It may truly be empty, or it might hold
tons of stuff. You might want to try this on that EN folder, too, to see if
there are files in addition to the ones you've seen. Post the names and
sizes here if you are unsure.

In those stats you posted, there is some terminology confusion that we
should clear up:
> RELIABILITITY AND PERFORMANCE MONITOR=D drive free clusters=8326 total
> clusters=2,954,202. 2 partitions on D - sizes 12,124,062,720 start
> offset:106,829,936,640 (compared to C drive at 32,256)

That line about "2 partitions on D" can't be correct. "Drive D:" IS a
partition and can't be further partitioned. Each partition is assigned a
"drive" letter. How many physical hard drives do you have? You probably
have a single "Disk 0" that is partitioned into Drive D: and Drive C:. To
see just how this works, use Disk Management: Run diskmgmt.msc

Don't be surprised, though, if all this searching and deleting does no good
at all. Sometimes, a poorly-programmed application or utility does not know
how to work with today's big hard drives and will complain of not enough
drive space for no good reason. If all the ideas we've piled on you so far
don't work, we may have to start looking at the specific programs on your
computer.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> [...]
>
>> Barbara
>>
>> How much RAM memory? Right click on the Computer icon on your
>> Desktop and select Properties to get information.
>>
>> Whilst there select Advanced Settings, Advanced, Performance
>> Settings, Advanced, Virtual Memory. What is the setting? Then click
>> on Change and increase the maximum by 500 mb above what it was set
>> to. Click on Apply and OK and restart your computer. Please let us
>> know if that stops the "Low on Disk space" messages appearing?
>>
>> Are you using graphics / photographic programmes?
>>
>> --
>>

>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gerry
>>
>> "Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My computer is brand new. I've had it for one month. Yes, I did
>> > run a defrag,
>> > and I went through the process to do a disk clean-up, (repeated

=?Utf-8?B?QmFyYmFyYQ==?=

Re: Low on Disk Space
Dustin, et al,

I ran the dir commands on D drive. It showed 1869 files GB 12,062,061,174
and 237 folders GB 34,103,296 (free). I don't understand the "free" part but
that's what I got.

I was trying to remember all the things I've been doing on this computer and
it finally dawned on me that the disk full problem on the d drive might be
from the two computer transfers I did. After I got the computer, I transfered
the files from my two old computers to this one. I suspect this might be the
problem.

So, if you agree this may have caused this problem, can I just reformat the
d drive? I am scared to make any changes to the registry. I was hoping there
is a way around getting into the registry because I am not technical enough
and totally uncomfortable getting in over my head here.

By the way - sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I had some serious
medical issues come up that took all my time. I didn't want you to think I
just dropped out of sight.

Thanks,

Barbara

--