Windows Briefcase Fails Silently

retroman

Windows Briefcase Fails Silently
Hello folks,

I've used the briefcase feature for years, and currently use it under Vista Home
Basic to backup working files to a flash drive each day. Recently, I found that
briefcase updates were not completing properly (some files from synched folders were
missing). Looking into this, I found that the flash drive did not have enough free
space to synch all the files. This had been true for about a week. Even so, there
was *never* a warning message after updating the briefcase!

In previous versions of Windows, briefcase would warn "there was not enough room on
drive X to add the file....". I could continue to update the other files (if there
was room), but at least I knew there was a problem.

The nasty part is that the briefcase appears to have updated the flash drive
successfully, when in fact it has not. This could lead to unpleasant surprises when
trying to restore the "backed up" files. Or, when traveling, on arrival the expected
files are missing.

Can anyone reproduce this problem with briefcase on a flash drive under Vista? First,
set up a briefcase on a flash drive in the usual way and confirm that it updates
properly. Second, add files to one of the source folders on the hard disk so that
the total synched size exceeds the capacity of the flash drive. Third, update the
briefcase. If there is no warning message, you have confirmed my finding.

If confirmed, any suggestions on how best to report the problem to Microsoft?

Doug M. in NJ
=?Utf-8?B?SnVsaWFu?=

RE: Windows Briefcase Fails Silently
Yes Doug, it happened to me last week. Fortunately I spotted that the sync
process appeared to complete far too quickly...

And because I'm a persistent irritating limey I'm goign to keep hammering at
MS over Vista Briefcase - just search for Briefcase in the forums and you'll
find the issues... another one about to be posted.

Sorry to say I don't have any +ve suggestions for our shared problem

"retroman" wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I've used the briefcase feature for years, and currently use it under Vista Home
> Basic to backup working files to a flash drive each day. Recently, I found that
> briefcase updates were not completing properly (some files from synched folders were
> missing). Looking into this, I found that the flash drive did not have enough free
> space to synch all the files. This had been true for about a week. Even so, there
> was *never* a warning message after updating the briefcase!
>
> In previous versions of Windows, briefcase would warn "there was not enough room on
> drive X to add the file....". I could continue to update the other files (if there
> was room), but at least I knew there was a problem.
>
> The nasty part is that the briefcase appears to have updated the flash drive
> successfully, when in fact it has not. This could lead to unpleasant surprises when
> trying to restore the "backed up" files. Or, when traveling, on arrival the expected
> files are missing.
>
> Can anyone reproduce this problem with briefcase on a flash drive under Vista? First,
> set up a briefcase on a flash drive in the usual way and confirm that it updates
> properly. Second, add files to one of the source folders on the hard disk so that
> the total synched size exceeds the capacity of the flash drive. Third, update the
> briefcase. If there is no warning message, you have confirmed my finding.
>
> If confirmed, any suggestions on how best to report the problem to Microsoft?
>
> Doug M. in NJ

retroman

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 02:26:02 -0700, Julian <Julian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Yes Doug, it happened to me last week. Fortunately I spotted that the sync
>process appeared to complete far too quickly...
>
>And because I'm a persistent irritating limey I'm going to keep hammering at
>MS over Vista Briefcase - just search for Briefcase in the forums and you'll
>find the issues... another one about to be posted.
>
>Sorry to say I don't have any +ve suggestions for our shared problem

Hi Julian,

Three cheers for being persistent and irritating. It's weird that MS messed up
something as basic as Briefcase. It appears that they ignored the time-honored
principle: if it works, don't *#$%* with it!

Regards,

"retroman" wrote:

> Three cheers for being persistent and irritating. It's weird that MS messed up
> something as basic as Briefcase. It appears that they ignored the time-honored
> principle: if it works, don't *#$%* with it!

It's nice to be appreciated <g>

It is indeed a fine principle, but there's always someone who seems to think
that the circular wheel can be improved on. What I wouldn't give to see the
test schedule (esp. the usability tests) and results! Having managed s/w &
other developments, if one of my people had offered me this Briefcase as
their *first* - let alone best - effort I'd have chewed his/her head off!

Just because it's not a sexy 3-D window flipper it's no excuse for sloppiness.

Forgive me as I drift off the straight and narrow for a moment... might as
well have a little fun on the way!

Vista (courtesy of the OED): "A view or prospect, especially one seen
through an avenue of trees or other long and narrow opening." - in this case
seen through a long dark tunnel.

The grass is definitely greener on the other side... how do I get there?

Julian

PS OED also had this nice quote...

1888 Bryce Amer. Commw. lxxx. III. 50 They see a long vista of years
stretching out before them in which they will have time enough to cure all
their faults.