Explorer hangs, can't delete large .mpg files

=?Utf-8?B?QW1hbmRh?=

Explorer hangs, can't delete large .mpg files
Using Windows Vista basic.........I have several large .mpg files on one hard
drive, this is where I record video to. But I can't delete any of these files
to make room for others. Windows Explorer hangs and will not process the
"calculating time remaining' for sending to the recycle bin. AND it uses 100%
CPU while trying to accomplish it. If I try to just wait & let it do it,
Explorer eventually crashes (Vista wants to close it.) I can COPY the files
elsewhere, but it takes hours. I do have lots of RAM and good CPU.
I found a fix on microsoft that addresses this exact problem BUT it is for
an update to WIN XP SP2, and I am runnng Vista basic. Does anyone know if
there is a fix for this for Vista?
Amanda (newbie to forums)

--
Amanda B

Re: Explorer hangs, can't delete large .mpg files
Use cmd. Find the folder that has the folder that has the files in it. Shift
+ Right Click - Command Prompt Here - Type in it

del filename.mpg

Do if file is fred.mpeg

del fred.mpeg

These won't be put into the recycle bin.
"Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using Windows Vista basic.........I have several large .mpg files on one
> hard
> drive, this is where I record video to. But I can't delete any of these
> files
> to make room for others. Windows Explorer hangs and will not process the
> "calculating time remaining' for sending to the recycle bin. AND it uses
> 100%
> CPU while trying to accomplish it. If I try to just wait & let it do it,
> Explorer eventually crashes (Vista wants to close it.) I can COPY the
> files
> elsewhere, but it takes hours. I do have lots of RAM and good CPU.
> I found a fix on microsoft that addresses this exact problem BUT it is for
> an update to WIN XP SP2, and I am runnng Vista basic. Does anyone know if
> there is a fix for this for Vista?
> Amanda (newbie to forums)
>
> --
> Amanda B

=?Utf-8?B?QW1hbmRh?=

Re: Explorer hangs, can't delete large .mpg files
THANK YOU this solved part of the problem. I was able to delete 2 large files
with this method. But two files still remained. The blinking cursor just kept
blinking forever, and never deleted. Also, explorer started using 100% CPU
again, and eventually stopped responding. I tried renaming the files, but
that caused the same problem. I'm going to try to rename them in the command
prompt instead of in windows contest menu & see if that works.
--
Amanda B

"." wrote:

> Use cmd. Find the folder that has the folder that has the files in it. Shift
> + Right Click - Command Prompt Here - Type in it
>
> del filename.mpg
>
> Do if file is fred.mpeg
>
> del fred.mpeg
>
> These won't be put into the recycle bin.
> "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Using Windows Vista basic.........I have several large .mpg files on one
> > hard
> > drive, this is where I record video to. But I can't delete any of these
> > files
> > to make room for others. Windows Explorer hangs and will not process the
> > "calculating time remaining' for sending to the recycle bin. AND it uses
> > 100%
> > CPU while trying to accomplish it. If I try to just wait & let it do it,
> > Explorer eventually crashes (Vista wants to close it.) I can COPY the
> > files
> > elsewhere, but it takes hours. I do have lots of RAM and good CPU.
> > I found a fix on microsoft that addresses this exact problem BUT it is for
> > an update to WIN XP SP2, and I am runnng Vista basic. Does anyone know if
> > there is a fix for this for Vista?
> > Amanda (newbie to forums)
> >
> > --
> > Amanda B

=?Utf-8?B?QW1hbmRh?=

Re: Explorer hangs, can't delete large .mpg files
WOW, perseverance paid off. But I had to use different methods for wach file
I wanted to delete. For some reason no one method worked on all.
Here's what finally worked (thanks to you)
I used the DEL command as you suggested. (cmd.exe. I had thought of trying
a command prompt, but had not yet figured out where to find it in Vista!)
This worked for two of the files.
I got rid of another file by the following method (suggested in another
group): When right clicking on the actual file, I held the shift key, and
chose delete. This brought up a dialog 'are you sure you want to permanly
delete' so I chose Yes, and it did it.
The last file, I used the REN command in the cmd.exe, and renamed the file
to just the name, with no extension. Then the DEL command, that worked!
Not sure why each file needed it's own method to work. Each file was
recorded & saved by the same program in the same manner.
At any rate, I now have the hard drive space back, so I feel ok to record
more.
THANKS!!
--
Amanda B

"." wrote:

> Use cmd. Find the folder that has the folder that has the files in it. Shift
> + Right Click - Command Prompt Here - Type in it
>
> del filename.mpg
>
> Do if file is fred.mpeg
>
> del fred.mpeg
>
> These won't be put into the recycle bin.
> "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Using Windows Vista basic.........I have several large .mpg files on one
> > hard
> > drive, this is where I record video to. But I can't delete any of these
> > files
> > to make room for others. Windows Explorer hangs and will not process the
> > "calculating time remaining' for sending to the recycle bin. AND it uses
> > 100%
> > CPU while trying to accomplish it. If I try to just wait & let it do it,
> > Explorer eventually crashes (Vista wants to close it.) I can COPY the
> > files
> > elsewhere, but it takes hours. I do have lots of RAM and good CPU.
> > I found a fix on microsoft that addresses this exact problem BUT it is for
> > an update to WIN XP SP2, and I am runnng Vista basic. Does anyone know if
> > there is a fix for this for Vista?
> > Amanda (newbie to forums)
> >
> > --
> > Amanda B

Re: Explorer hangs, can't delete large .mpg files
Good.