Why cant i edit a ini file in my notepad?

=?Utf-8?B?am15ZGNya3QxQHlhaG9vLmNvbQ==?=

Why cant i edit a ini file in my notepad?
I try to chage a few letters for a progrom to run. Needs to be modified and
running vista and with all these blocks wont let me save it. Tried to change
all my settings to run as admistrator too. If have an answer plz help me.
R. C. White, MVP

Re: Why cant i edit a ini file in my notepad?
Hi, jmydcrkt1.

At the risk of stating the obvious, is your .ini file set to Read Only?

Sometimes Vista's attempts to keep us from hurting ourselves go overboard.
You might need to take ownership of that file, or its folder or volume,
before you can give yourself permission to see it or change it.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"jmydcrkt1@yahoo.com" <jmydcrkt1@yahoo.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:FFCD9E61-DD54-49C8-93B0-EAA5C9F1D7C4@microsoft.com...
>I try to chage a few letters for a progrom to run. Needs to be modified and
> running vista and with all these blocks wont let me save it. Tried to
> change
> all my settings to run as admistrator too. If have an answer plz help me.

Re: Why cant i edit a ini file in my notepad?
I played with my permissions. But I don't think you have delete permissions
for Windows. Check using Effective Permissions in the Security Dialog (click
advanced a few time and you'll find it). If so then the editor may make a
difference. As there are no delete permission granted nothing can delete
files. Some editors edit files on disk using OLE or Virtual Memory tecniques
(like MSWord - but I don't know it works with text files this way, it does
with docs) - these should work because the same file stay in the same place
and only contents are changed and the file is not deleted. However Word
works on a copy of the file so has to delete the original to finalise the
save. Other editors overwrite the file, and others save to a temporary name,
if it works it then deletes the original and renames the temporary.

But you can't delete, take ownership, or change permissions.