Windows Explorer Cursor Keys

Mike

Windows Explorer Cursor Keys
How do I enable the cursor keys in Windows Explorer to automatically open
the folder I have selected?

I use a notebook computer and most times while navigating explorer I use
cursor keys. In the folders pane I can use cursor keys to navigate, however
to view the contents of the selected folder I have to hit enter or spacebar.

If you don't understand what I'm saying, compare using the cursers keys in
Windows Explorer to using the cursor keys in Registry Editor. I want
explorer to work the same way as regedit.

Re: Windows Explorer Cursor Keys
By pressing it. It does.
"Mike" <reply@togroup.com> wrote in message
> How do I enable the cursor keys in Windows Explorer to automatically open
> the folder I have selected?
>
> I use a notebook computer and most times while navigating explorer I use
> cursor keys. In the folders pane I can use cursor keys to navigate,
> however to view the contents of the selected folder I have to hit enter or
> spacebar.
>
> If you don't understand what I'm saying, compare using the cursers keys in
> Windows Explorer to using the cursor keys in Registry Editor. I want
> explorer to work the same way as regedit.

Mike

Re: Windows Explorer Cursor Keys
By pressing what?

<.> wrote in message news:ug3WgqjcHHA.4984@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> By pressing it. It does.
> "Mike" <reply@togroup.com> wrote in message
>> How do I enable the cursor keys in Windows Explorer to automatically open
>> the folder I have selected?
>>
>> I use a notebook computer and most times while navigating explorer I use
>> cursor keys. In the folders pane I can use cursor keys to navigate,
>> however to view the contents of the selected folder I have to hit enter
>> or spacebar.
>>
>> If you don't understand what I'm saying, compare using the cursers keys
>> in Windows Explorer to using the cursor keys in Registry Editor. I want
>> explorer to work the same way as regedit.

Cal Bear '66

Re: Windows Explorer Cursor Keys
I believe that he means that using the arrow keys to move around in an explorer window does not open the highlighted folder until you press enter or spacebar. I too find this annoying.

"Mike" <reply@togroup.com> wrote in message news:%23XiQ4QocHHA.2332@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> By pressing what?
>
> <.> wrote in message news:ug3WgqjcHHA.4984@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> By pressing it. It does.
>> "Mike" <reply@togroup.com> wrote in message
>>> How do I enable the cursor keys in Windows Explorer to automatically open
>>> the folder I have selected?
>>>
>>> I use a notebook computer and most times while navigating explorer I use
>>> cursor keys. In the folders pane I can use cursor keys to navigate,
>>> however to view the contents of the selected folder I have to hit enter
>>> or spacebar.
>>>
>>> If you don't understand what I'm saying, compare using the cursers keys
>>> in Windows Explorer to using the cursor keys in Registry Editor. I want
>>> explorer to work the same way as regedit.

Re: Windows Explorer Cursor Keys
You have to live with it then. I looked at things like keystrokes going to
the silly search box trying to work out what he meant (that can happen in
the listview). Also if simple folder view prevents keys from working.

Explorer folder list and listview window (where the files are) have always
been loosly, not tightly, linked. Going on flimsy evidence such as
appearance it looks even looser.

The folder window is the true view at least in earlier versions of windows.
"Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
I believe that he means that using the arrow keys to move around in an
explorer window does not open the highlighted folder until you press enter
or spacebar. I too find this annoying.

"Mike" <reply@togroup.com> wrote in message
> By pressing what?
>
> <.> wrote in message news:ug3WgqjcHHA.4984@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> By pressing it. It does.
>> "Mike" <reply@togroup.com> wrote in message
>>> How do I enable the cursor keys in Windows Explorer to automatically
>>> open
>>> the folder I have selected?
>>>
>>> I use a notebook computer and most times while navigating explorer I use
>>> cursor keys. In the folders pane I can use cursor keys to navigate,
>>> however to view the contents of the selected folder I have to hit enter
>>> or spacebar.
>>>
>>> If you don't understand what I'm saying, compare using the cursers keys
>>> in Windows Explorer to using the cursor keys in Registry Editor. I want
>>> explorer to work the same way as regedit.

Mike

Re: Windows Explorer Cursor Keys

I could always buy a mac.

<.> wrote in message news:uz0bT1ucHHA.2404@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> You have to live with it then. I looked at things like keystrokes going to
> the silly search box trying to work out what he meant (that can happen in
> the listview). Also if simple folder view prevents keys from working.
>
> Explorer folder list and listview window (where the files are) have always
> been loosly, not tightly, linked. Going on flimsy evidence such as
> appearance it looks even looser.
>
> The folder window is the true view at least in earlier versions of
> windows.
> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
> I believe that he means that using the arrow keys to move around in an
> explorer window does not open the highlighted folder until you press enter
> or spacebar. I too find this annoying.
>

> "Mike" <reply@togroup.com> wrote in message
>> By pressing what?
>>
>> <.> wrote in message news:ug3WgqjcHHA.4984@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> By pressing it. It does.

Re: Windows Explorer Cursor Keys
Last I saw a mac they didn't have hideous tree views/

> I could always buy a mac.
>

> <.> wrote in message news:uz0bT1ucHHA.2404@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> You have to live with it then. I looked at things like keystrokes going
>> to the silly search box trying to work out what he meant (that can happen
>> in the listview). Also if simple folder view prevents keys from working.
>>
>> Explorer folder list and listview window (where the files are) have
>> always been loosly, not tightly, linked. Going on flimsy evidence such as
>> appearance it looks even looser.
>>
>> The folder window is the true view at least in earlier versions of
>> windows.
>> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
>> I believe that he means that using the arrow keys to move around in an
>> explorer window does not open the highlighted folder until you press
>> enter or spacebar. I too find this annoying.
>>

>> "Mike" <reply@togroup.com> wrote in message
>>> By pressing what?

Gary

Re: Windows Explorer Cursor Keys

Yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about. In XP, you simply
click cursor up and instantly see the contents of the highlighted
folder. Now in Vista you have to press the SPACE bar after you press
the cursor key. I really hate that. Slows me down.