Universal Metadata with Photo Gallery?

mxh

Universal Metadata with Photo Gallery?
I have recently started using Vista Ultimate's Photo Gallery tagging system.
This works great in spite of PG's limitations. Also, the tags and star
ratings show up in PhotoShop Bridge and presumably other image organizing
software as well.

So here is my concern: How are the tags and ratings applied? Are they
somehow written to the image, or are they stored in windows. If the former,
great! If the latter, how does one back up the tags and ratings or transfer
them to other machines?

For example, I wish to set up Photo Gallery on other Vista machines on my
network. I want them to be able to search on the tagging and rating info
I've already entered. Is this possible?

Thanks for any information,
mxh

Malke

Re: Universal Metadata with Photo Gallery?
mxh wrote:
> I have recently started using Vista Ultimate's Photo Gallery tagging
> system. This works great in spite of PG's limitations. Also, the tags
> and star ratings show up in PhotoShop Bridge and presumably other image
> organizing software as well.
>
> So here is my concern: How are the tags and ratings applied? Are they
> somehow written to the image, or are they stored in windows. If the
> former, great! If the latter, how does one back up the tags and ratings
> or transfer them to other machines?
>

> For example, I wish to set up Photo Gallery on other Vista machines on
> my network. I want them to be able to search on the tagging and rating
> info I've already entered. Is this possible?
>
> Thanks for any information,
> mxh

You've already posted this in two of the Vista newsgroups which is where
it belongs. Photo Gallery has nothing to do with Windows XP.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
mxh

"mxh" <mxh@att.net> wrote in message
>I have recently started using Vista Ultimate's Photo Gallery tagging
>system. This works great in spite of PG's limitations. Also, the tags and
>star ratings show up in PhotoShop Bridge and presumably other image
>organizing software as well.
>
> So here is my concern: How are the tags and ratings applied? Are they
> somehow written to the image, or are they stored in windows. If the
> former, great! If the latter, how does one back up the tags and ratings or
> transfer them to other machines?
>

> For example, I wish to set up Photo Gallery on other Vista machines on my
> network. I want them to be able to search on the tagging and rating info
> I've already entered. Is this possible?
>
> Thanks for any information,
> mxh

mxh

Re: Universal Metadata with Photo Gallery?
It appears that it is indeed written to the file and can be read by any
program using XMP, as per:

http://blogs.msdn.com/pix/archive/20...16/702780.aspx