how do I search for specific file types?

=?Utf-8?B?RGFubm8xMTE=?=

how do I search for specific file types?
In XP I could search for Video's with a simple click. I didn't need to know
all the file types. How do I do this in Vista? And, what if I want all my
Excel files created in the past 2 days? Do I have to search for everything
with an XLS extension to find my files? This is okay if I know the
extension, but in XP, I could use the drop down to identify the file type I
wanted to search for. Is there any way to do this in Vista?

Sorry if this is a duplicate question. I asked in the general group before
realizing this sub group existed. And, I don't know how to remove my
question from the general group.

Thanks,
Dan
Keith Miller MVP

Re: how do I search for specific file types?
For videos, in the Search box type:

kind:video

Date range search for a specific file type is easiest via Advanced Search
which should be accesible via the right-hand pane of your start menu. Click
the drop arrow labeled 'Advanced Search' and you can specify creation date
after a specified date. You can use '.xls' in the Name box or 'type:Excel'
in the Search box.

The Help & Support topic named 'Tips for finding files' is a good
introduction to searching in Vista.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Danno111" <Danno111@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In XP I could search for Video's with a simple click. I didn't need to
> know
> all the file types. How do I do this in Vista? And, what if I want all
> my
> Excel files created in the past 2 days? Do I have to search for
> everything
> with an XLS extension to find my files? This is okay if I know the
> extension, but in XP, I could use the drop down to identify the file type
> wanted to search for. Is there any way to do this in Vista?
>
> Sorry if this is a duplicate question. I asked in the general group
> before
> realizing this sub group existed. And, I don't know how to remove my
> question from the general group.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Daniel Noll

Keith Miller MVP wrote:
> For videos, in the Search box type:
>
> kind:video
>
> Date range search for a specific file type is easiest via Advanced
> Search which should be accesible via the right-hand pane of your start
> menu. Click the drop arrow labeled 'Advanced Search' and you can
> specify creation date after a specified date. You can use '.xls' in the
> Name box or 'type:Excel' in the Search box.

I wonder why it's type: for one and kind: for another.

I guess I'd expect kind:spreadsheet to pull up Excel files, i.e. "kind:"
is generic whereas "type:" is specific.

Daniel

Keith Miller MVP

Re: how do I search for specific file types?
Kind is a 'rollup' of file types. .bmp, .jpg, ,tif are all of the kind
'picture'

You can select the 'Kinds' column in a detail view in Explorer to see what
is assigned for Excel spreadsheets. (I haven't installed Office under Vista
yet, I only have it under XP, which doesn't have 'kinds'.

--

"Daniel Noll" <daniel@nuix.com> wrote in message
> Keith Miller MVP wrote:
>> For videos, in the Search box type:
>>
>> kind:video
>>
>> Date range search for a specific file type is easiest via Advanced Search
>> which should be accesible via the right-hand pane of your start menu.
>> Click the drop arrow labeled 'Advanced Search' and you can specify
>> creation date after a specified date. You can use '.xls' in the Name box
>> or 'type:Excel' in the Search box.

> I wonder why it's type: for one and kind: for another.
>
> I guess I'd expect kind:spreadsheet to pull up Excel files, i.e. "kind:"
> is generic whereas "type:" is specific.
>
> Daniel

Daniel Noll

Keith Miller MVP wrote:
> Kind is a 'rollup' of file types. .bmp, .jpg, ,tif are all of the kind
> 'picture'
>
> You can select the 'Kinds' column in a detail view in Explorer to see
> what is assigned for Excel spreadsheets. (I haven't installed Office
> under Vista yet, I only have it under XP, which doesn't have 'kinds'.

Unfortunately it's a "document", which isn't really appropriate and is
unhelpful in an office environment where 90% of the content is *actual*
documents which clutter the search results.

But oh well... it can probably be fixed via hacking the registry to
change the kind of this type of file. I might as well add the
OpenDocument ones while I'm at it. :-)

Daniel