Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Adding tag or rating to picture returns unexpected error 0x88982F5

microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2007
=?Utf-8?B?Q2FzZXk=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Adding tag or rating to picture returns unexpected error 0x88982F5
When I attempt to add a tag or rating to my photos, I get the message "An
unexpected error is preventing the operation" and "Error 0x88982F50". Does
anyone have a clue about why this is happening and what I could do to fix it?

Vista is getting exceedingly frustrating. So many of its features would be
really cool -- if they worked!

Thanks for any help.

-Casey
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2007
=?Utf-8?B?Q2FzZXk=?=
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Adding tag or rating to picture returns unexpected error 0x88982F5


"Casey" wrote:

> When I attempt to add a tag or rating to my photos, I get the message "An
> unexpected error is preventing the operation" and "Error 0x88982F50". Does
> anyone have a clue about why this is happening and what I could do to fix it?


To make things more interesting:

A day after posting this, I tried adding tags again -- and it worked! I
added tags to a year's worth of pictures. I was able to sort them any way I
wanted. It was great. Life was good. (I backed everything up afterward to
my external drive too.)

Then today I downloaded more pictures from my camera and attempted to add
tags. Guess what? Unexpected Error. I then tried adding tags on the pics
that I had worked on the night before. Unexpected Error. I changed the
directory view so that I could see the tags column for each picture, and on
all but 4 pics the tag data was gone. The ratings were still intact, oddly
enough. But stranger yet, if I searched the directory using one of my tag
terms, all the correct pics were displayed. So, the data still exists
somewhere evidently.

(I checked my backups and sure enough, the tag data is invisible there too.)

What's wrong with Vista?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2007
cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Adding tag or rating to picture returns unexpected error 0x88982F5
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 23:04:02 -0700, Casey

>> When I attempt to add a tag or rating to my photos, I get the message "An
>> unexpected error is preventing the operation" and "Error 0x88982F50". Does
>> anyone have a clue about why this is happening and what I could do to fix it?


I have seen this, but there may be two possible causes:
- known-dubious RAM in test PC (Vista64 RTM)
- experimenting with tags containing the "/" character

The crashes didn't happen before the first use of "/", and thereafter
happened when accessing tags in files other than that which had a tag
containg the "/" character.

>A day after posting this, I tried adding tags again -- and it worked! I
>added tags to a year's worth of pictures. I was able to sort them any way I
>wanted. It was great. Life was good. (I backed everything up afterward to
>my external drive too.)


>Then today I downloaded more pictures from my camera and attempted to add
>tags. Guess what? Unexpected Error. I then tried adding tags on the pics
>that I had worked on the night before. Unexpected Error. I changed the
>directory view so that I could see the tags column for each picture, and on
>all but 4 pics the tag data was gone. The ratings were still intact, oddly
>enough. But stranger yet, if I searched the directory using one of my tag
>terms, all the correct pics were displayed. So, the data still exists
>somewhere evidently.


>(I checked my backups and sure enough, the tag data is invisible there too.)


I thought the behavior of "/" in tags was a bug, but was told it's a
feature for creating a heirarchy of tags. The behavior is that when
one or more "/" characters are in a tag, only hte text after the last
"/" is displayed, though the full tag is shown in the ToolTip.



>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

Our senses are our UI to reality
>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2007
=?Utf-8?B?Q2FzZXk=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Adding tag or rating to picture returns unexpected error 0x889
Thanks for the reply.

My RAM has tested OK using Vista's Memory Diagnostics Tool on the standard
setting. Perhaps I'll try it on Extended as well.

I don't recall ever trying to use the "/" character in my tags. Perhaps I
typed another reserved character on accident at one point.

I wrote:
>But stranger yet, if I searched the directory using one of my tag
>terms, all the correct pics were displayed. So, the data still exists
>somewhere evidently.


Now searches only work on the 4 pictures that still have their tags. I
think the search must have been using cached data at the time.

Any troubleshooting ideas? I'm considering reinstalling Vista at this point
to see if the problem persists.

Thanks,
Casey
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2007
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Adding tag or rating to picture returns unexpected error 0x88982F5
It may depend on exactly the format of your pictures what is happening. As
there are compatability metadata issues (your tags may exist in older and
newer data structures). If Vista reads from an old data structure (or it
exists) then tags get written to both new and old.

The fact that it works sometimes may mean below is a good thing to try.
Tests to see if other software is causing problem.

Search Google for "Advanced clean boot troubleshooting" as MS has nobbled
Vista's Help. (Google will find it - Vista won't).

Also review these pages in case one contains a solution
http://www.google.com.au/search?num=...a=lr%3Dlang_en

"Casey" <Casey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:74568CEF-BC53-4697-B360-8665D621025E@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "Casey" wrote:
>
>> When I attempt to add a tag or rating to my photos, I get the message "An
>> unexpected error is preventing the operation" and "Error 0x88982F50".
>> Does
>> anyone have a clue about why this is happening and what I could do to fix
>> it?

>
> To make things more interesting:
>
> A day after posting this, I tried adding tags again -- and it worked! I
> added tags to a year's worth of pictures. I was able to sort them any way
> I
> wanted. It was great. Life was good. (I backed everything up afterward
> to
> my external drive too.)
>
> Then today I downloaded more pictures from my camera and attempted to add
> tags. Guess what? Unexpected Error. I then tried adding tags on the
> pics
> that I had worked on the night before. Unexpected Error. I changed the
> directory view so that I could see the tags column for each picture, and
> on
> all but 4 pics the tag data was gone. The ratings were still intact,
> oddly
> enough. But stranger yet, if I searched the directory using one of my tag
> terms, all the correct pics were displayed. So, the data still exists
> somewhere evidently.
>
> (I checked my backups and sure enough, the tag data is invisible there
> too.)
>
> What's wrong with Vista?


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2007
=?Utf-8?B?Q2FzZXk=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Adding tag or rating to picture returns unexpected error 0x889


"." wrote:

> It may depend on exactly the format of your pictures what is happening. As
> there are compatability metadata issues (your tags may exist in older and
> newer data structures). If Vista reads from an old data structure (or it
> exists) then tags get written to both new and old.


FWIW, I grabbed some jpegs off the web, just to make sure it wasn't a
problem with my camera/pics, and I have the same error with all pics.


> The fact that it works sometimes may mean below is a good thing to try.
> Tests to see if other software is causing problem.
>
> Search Google for "Advanced clean boot troubleshooting" as MS has nobbled
> Vista's Help. (Google will find it - Vista won't).
>
> Also review these pages in case one contains a solution
> http://www.google.com.au/search?num=...a=lr%3Dlang_en
>


Thanks for the ideas. I've investigated things pretty much as far as I can
now. I disabled all startup programs, every non-windows service, and every
windows service that wasn't absolutely necessary (there were 3 of these).
The error remains.

I was able to get the tags to display one time after I had gone into Event
Viewer/File/Options and hit the Delete Files button. I wanted to see if I
had really fixed it, so I restarted the computer and the error came back. I
haven't been able to repeat my success.

I'm off to try more random things before reinstalling.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2007
=?Utf-8?B?Q2FzZXk=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Adding tag or rating to picture returns unexpected error 0x889
I hadn't tried using Photo Gallery before, but all tags/ratings etc work from
within that tool!

It's just outside of that tool that I can't update tags or even edit the
picture itself. Doesn't matter if the picture is in the Pictures folder, on
my desktop, or somewhere else. For example, if I right-click a photo on my
desktop, select Properties/Details, add a tag and hit OK, the Unexpected
Error message comes up.

Anyone have any idea why adding tags and editing the photo would work from
within Photo Gallery but not elsewhere?

Thanks,
Casey
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KMS Client Activation returns 0xC004F039 error William Luo microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 6 05-05-2010 17:20
"Windows Setup experienced an unexpected error - Error Code: 0x0" =?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 06-16-2008 23:31
Unexpected error, =?Utf-8?B?bWlja2llbHlubg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 3 03-23-2007 23:07
Tag and Rating Martin Racette microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 0 02-28-2007 22:09




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:10.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120