System Fonts

Deb

System Fonts
I purchased a font managing program called Extensis Suitcase. The theory of
it is that I can keep fonts that are NOT system fonts organized in this
"suitcase" so that the 100s of fonts (way too many) that are currently listed
under Windows\Fonts do not have to all load every time I start a program.
They are held in this "suitcase" and called for on an as needed basis. i.e.
I move them from Windows\Fonts into the "suitcase" and they then become no
longer listed/available under Windows\Fonts and won't all load each time I
open a program.

In order to use this font managing program, I am advised that I must NOT
move or otherwise mess with the required system fonts for Vista Ultimate. I
have discovered some of them for Vista (Calibri, Cambria and so forth) but I
do not know what they ALL are or where they are located.

I have looked everywhere, including system folders etc. and done searches
but am still unsure what fonts are necessary to make sure Vista runs as it
should. In other words, I won't want to mess things up but DO want to use
this font management program. Older Windows versions (Windows XP Pro and
before) seemed to make it easy to locate the system fonts required for those
operating systems - marlett, script, serife, ssseriff etc. and were pretty
easy to spot but with Vista I'm not sure.

My question is this: Does anyone know what the required system fonts are
for Vista Ultimate SP1 are and where they are located so I don't make a goof
and mess with ones I shouldn't?

TIA for any assistance.
Malke

Re: System Fonts
Deb wrote:

> I purchased a font managing program called Extensis Suitcase. The theory
> of it is that I can keep fonts that are NOT system fonts organized in this
> "suitcase" so that the 100s of fonts (way too many) that are currently
> listed under Windows\Fonts do not have to all load every time I start a
> program.
> They are held in this "suitcase" and called for on an as needed basis.
> i.e. I move them from Windows\Fonts into the "suitcase" and they then
> become no longer listed/available under Windows\Fonts and won't all load
> each time I open a program.
>
> In order to use this font managing program, I am advised that I must NOT
> move or otherwise mess with the required system fonts for Vista Ultimate.
> I have discovered some of them for Vista (Calibri, Cambria and so forth)
> but I do not know what they ALL are or where they are located.
>
> I have looked everywhere, including system folders etc. and done searches
> but am still unsure what fonts are necessary to make sure Vista runs as it
> should. In other words, I won't want to mess things up but DO want to use
> this font management program. Older Windows versions (Windows XP Pro and
> before) seemed to make it easy to locate the system fonts required for
> those operating systems - marlett, script, serife, ssseriff etc. and were
> pretty easy to spot but with Vista I'm not sure.
>
> My question is this: Does anyone know what the required system fonts are
> for Vista Ultimate SP1 are and where they are located so I don't make a
> goof and mess with ones I shouldn't?

A quick Google doesn't bring me anything definitive, but I do have this:

Unofficial but useful list of fonts in Vista -
http://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/archiv...6/1607855.aspx

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Wandering

Re: System Fonts

"Deb" <Deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased a font managing program called Extensis Suitcase. The theory
>of
> it is that I can keep fonts that are NOT system fonts organized in this
> "suitcase" so that the 100s of fonts (way too many) that are currently
> listed
> under Windows\Fonts do not have to all load every time I start a program.
> They are held in this "suitcase" and called for on an as needed basis.
> i.e.
> I move them from Windows\Fonts into the "suitcase" and they then become no
> longer listed/available under Windows\Fonts and won't all load each time I
> open a program.
>
> In order to use this font managing program, I am advised that I must NOT
> move or otherwise mess with the required system fonts for Vista Ultimate.
> have discovered some of them for Vista (Calibri, Cambria and so forth) but
> do not know what they ALL are or where they are located.
>
> I have looked everywhere, including system folders etc. and done searches
> but am still unsure what fonts are necessary to make sure Vista runs as it
> should. In other words, I won't want to mess things up but DO want to use
> this font management program. Older Windows versions (Windows XP Pro and
> before) seemed to make it easy to locate the system fonts required for
> those
> operating systems - marlett, script, serife, ssseriff etc. and were pretty
> easy to spot but with Vista I'm not sure.
>
> My question is this: Does anyone know what the required system fonts are
> for Vista Ultimate SP1 are and where they are located so I don't make a
> goof
> and mess with ones I shouldn't?
>
> TIA for any assistance.

Well I can't give you a list, but if you are talking about the fonts that
came with a new PC with Windows installed, you will spend far more time
fooling with the font management program over time than you ever will save
by using it. I have one two, freeware, but I realized I was spend lots of
time managing fonts, and gaining no real time anywhere else. There just
aren't that many, and they don't take that much time to load. In fact, after
adding a thousand more, the only program I ever found that took longer was
GIMP, and I don't use it now.

Have fun.

LVTravel

Re: System Fonts

"Deb" <Deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I purchased a font managing program called Extensis Suitcase. The theory
> of
> it is that I can keep fonts that are NOT system fonts organized in this
> "suitcase" so that the 100s of fonts (way too many) that are currently
> listed
> under Windows\Fonts do not have to all load every time I start a program.
> They are held in this "suitcase" and called for on an as needed basis.
> i.e.
> I move them from Windows\Fonts into the "suitcase" and they then become no
> longer listed/available under Windows\Fonts and won't all load each time I
> open a program.
>
> In order to use this font managing program, I am advised that I must NOT
> move or otherwise mess with the required system fonts for Vista Ultimate.
> have discovered some of them for Vista (Calibri, Cambria and so forth) but
> do not know what they ALL are or where they are located.
>
> I have looked everywhere, including system folders etc. and done searches
> but am still unsure what fonts are necessary to make sure Vista runs as it
> should. In other words, I won't want to mess things up but DO want to use
> this font management program. Older Windows versions (Windows XP Pro and
> before) seemed to make it easy to locate the system fonts required for
> those
> operating systems - marlett, script, serife, ssseriff etc. and were pretty
> easy to spot but with Vista I'm not sure.
>
> My question is this: Does anyone know what the required system fonts are
> for Vista Ultimate SP1 are and where they are located so I don't make a
> goof
> and mess with ones I shouldn't?
>
> TIA for any assistance.

This web site information was posted some time back on one of the Vista
Newsgroups and I archived the URL so here it is:

http://www.safalra.com/web-design/ty...upplied-fonts/

Tom Ferguson

Re: System Fonts
I do not know of any accurate list anywhere of "required" fonts. Such a list
is quite elusive depending as it does on what applications you have
installed (e.g. what fonts your Word templates use). It is even difficult to
get a useful one for the operating system depending as it does on the
language(s) in use.

Here is a list of supplied fonts for Vista Ultimate. I cannot attest that it
is complete. Not all fonts are "necessary". In any event, substitution will
be done for any that are missing when requested. Recent Windows versions do
not load any fonts that are not actually used. Note that windows Vista is
Unicode-enabled. I would suggest that you let the system look after its own
fonts and leave all fonts supplied with Vista installed.

Core Fonts:

Arial
Courier New
Times New Roman
Symbol
Wingdings

Core UI Fonts:

Microsoft Sans Serif
Segoe UI
Tahoma

ClearType Collection Fonts:

Calibri
Cambria
Candara
Consolas
Constantias
Corbel

Other Western Fonts:

Arial Black
Franklin Gothic Medium
Georgia
Impact
Lucida Console
Lucida Sans Console
Marlett
Palatino Linotype
Segoe Print
Segoe Script
Trebuchet MS
Verdana
Webdings

East Asian Fonts

Batang/BatangChe
DFKai-SB
Dotum/DotumChe
Fangsong
Gulim/GulimChe
Gungsuh/GungsuhChe
KaiTi
Malgun Gothic
Meiryo
Microsoft JhengHei
Microsoft YaHei
MingLiU_HKSCS/MingLiU_HKSCS-ExtB
MingLiU-ExtB/PMingLiU-ExtB
MS Gothic/MS PGothic/MS UI Gothic
MS Mincho/MS PMincho
SimHei
Simsun/NSimsun
SimSun-ExtB

Arabic Fonts:

Andalus
Arabic Typesetting
Microsoft Uighur
Simplified Arabic
Traditional Arabic

Hebrew Fonts:

Aharoni Bold
David
FrankRuehl
Gisha
Levenim
Miriam
Narkisim
Rod

Thai Fonts:

Angsana New/AngsanaUPC
Browallia New/BrowalliaUPC
Cordia New/CordiaUPC
DilleniaUPC
EucrosiUPC
FreesiaUPC
IrisUPC
JasmineUPC
KodchiangUPC
Leelawadee
LilyUPC

Indic Fonts:

Gautami
Iskoola Pota
Kalinga
Kartika
Latha
Mangal
Raavi
Shruti
Tunga
Vrinda

Other Fonts

DaunPenh
DokChampa
Estrangelo Edessa
Euphemia
Microsoft Himalaya
Microsoft Yi Baiti
Mongolian Baiti
MV Boli
Nyala
Plantagenet Cherokee
Sylfaen

--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Deb" <Deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased a font managing program called Extensis Suitcase. The theory
>of
> it is that I can keep fonts that are NOT system fonts organized in this
> "suitcase" so that the 100s of fonts (way too many) that are currently
> listed
> under Windows\Fonts do not have to all load every time I start a program.
> They are held in this "suitcase" and called for on an as needed basis.
> i.e.
> I move them from Windows\Fonts into the "suitcase" and they then become no
> longer listed/available under Windows\Fonts and won't all load each time I
> open a program.
>
> In order to use this font managing program, I am advised that I must NOT
> move or otherwise mess with the required system fonts for Vista Ultimate.
> have discovered some of them for Vista (Calibri, Cambria and so forth) but
> do not know what they ALL are or where they are located.
>
> I have looked everywhere, including system folders etc. and done searches
> but am still unsure what fonts are necessary to make sure Vista runs as it
> should. In other words, I won't want to mess things up but DO want to use
> this font management program. Older Windows versions (Windows XP Pro and
> before) seemed to make it easy to locate the system fonts required for
> those
> operating systems - marlett, script, serife, ssseriff etc. and were pretty
> easy to spot but with Vista I'm not sure.
>
> My question is this: Does anyone know what the required system fonts are
> for Vista Ultimate SP1 are and where they are located so I don't make a
> goof
> and mess with ones I shouldn't?
>
> TIA for any assistance.

Deb

Re: System Fonts
Thanks all for the information. I think " Wandering" hit the nail on the
head - so far I've spent too much time trying to figure this program out -
not worth it! I really wanted something that would maybe tell me if I had
fonts that were close dups to others (i.e. at least they look similar) so I
could weed things out some but I think I'm better off leaving things alone.

Again, thanks for the responses.