Reordering Files

coll12345

Reordering Files
Is there a way to stop Vista reordering files every time you change the name
of one? I often have to go down a long list of files changing their names to
fit our cataloging system (I use Details view). Every time you change one,
it moves. This makes the whole process pretty annoying and the use of
keyboard shortcuts more difficult. When I change a filename, I want it to
stay put.
Thanks
Dave

Re: Reordering Files
Sort by another column before you rename.

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"coll12345" <coll12345@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to stop Vista reordering files every time you change the
> name
> of one? I often have to go down a long list of files changing their names
> fit our cataloging system (I use Details view). Every time you change
> one,
> it moves. This makes the whole process pretty annoying and the use of
> keyboard shortcuts more difficult. When I change a filename, I want it to
> stay put.
> Thanks

Donald Lessau

Re: Reordering Files
"coll12345" <coll12345@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Is there a way to stop Vista reordering files every time you change the
> name
> of one? I often have to go down a long list of files changing their names
> fit our cataloging system (I use Details view). Every time you change
> one,
> it moves. This makes the whole process pretty annoying and the use of
> keyboard shortcuts more difficult. When I change a filename, I want it to
> stay put.

Don't know about Vista's Explorer, but FYI there are other file managers
like XYplorer that will do what you want (even when you sort by Name).

http://www.xyplorer.com/

Don

coll12345

Re: Reordering Files
Thanks, but I generally need to keep them in name order. For example, I work
a lot with word docs and their associated PDFs. When changing the name of
each file in a large number of pairs, it doesn't help when files jump all
over the place.

Easy in XP. More difficult in Vista. (How many times have I said that to
myself?)

Cheers anyway

"Dave" wrote:

> Sort by another column before you rename.
>

> --
> Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>

> "coll12345" <coll12345@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to stop Vista reordering files every time you change the
> > name
> > of one? I often have to go down a long list of files changing their names
> > fit our cataloging system (I use Details view). Every time you change
> > one,
> > it moves. This makes the whole process pretty annoying and the use of
> > keyboard shortcuts more difficult. When I change a filename, I want it to
> > stay put.
> > Thanks

coll12345

Re: Reordering Files
Thanks - I'll check that out. Seems a shame that Vista makes simple file
operations so difficult. I find merging folders particularly torturous in
Vista, and still hop onto my Win 2000 backup PC to pull files across, rather
than trying to push them across from the Vista side ("About 27 hours and 13
minutes remaining"). Hmmm.
Cheers