Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Speed up thumbnails loading?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-18-2008
MeZelf
 

Posts: n/a
Speed up thumbnails loading?
Hi,

I have a couple of folders with quite a number of pictures in them and have
the folders set to display them as thumbnails.
But sadly only the files within the view of explorer get 'loaded' to
thumbnails.
And quitte slowly too.

In XP if I scrolled down, explorer would load all graphic files as
thumbnails from the bottom of the list all the way up.
Is there is way of having Vista do this as well?
Of am I stuck on loading thumbnails on 'view-range' only?

Sebastiaan

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2008
David Deley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Speed up thumbnails loading?
I noticed the same thing and found a couple free thumbnail & image
viewing programs which do load all the thumbnails when you move to a
folder (CPU goes to near 100% while it loads all the thumbnails, but
afterward you can scroll up/down and all the thumbnails are instantly
there.)

Try these free programs:
XnView
FastStone Image Viewer (free for home use)


There's also a nice Duplicate Image Finder ($10) at
http://www.rmsft.com/
(not an exact duplicate file finder, more of a fuzzy "these two pictures
look quite alike" finder.)


MeZelf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of folders with quite a number of pictures in them and
> have the folders set to display them as thumbnails.
> But sadly only the files within the view of explorer get 'loaded' to
> thumbnails.
> And quitte slowly too.
>
> In XP if I scrolled down, explorer would load all graphic files as
> thumbnails from the bottom of the list all the way up.
> Is there is way of having Vista do this as well?
> Of am I stuck on loading thumbnails on 'view-range' only?
>
> Sebastiaan

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2008
MeZelf
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Speed up thumbnails loading?
Those programs do preload all thumbnails, but those are more like
catalogmanagers.
In my situation I have thumbnails done by explorer and use Picaview to view
pictures I would like to view on screen.

And the programs don't use explorer as a way to work with the pictures.
Picaview in this matter is a plugin to explorer.exe which allows to preview
and open the picture (lightweight, not with fat programs like Picture
Galary).


Sebastiaan


"David Deley" <deleyd@cox.net> wrote in message
news:NGFqk.33773$KZ.32086@newsfe03.iad...
>I noticed the same thing and found a couple free thumbnail & image viewing
>programs which do load all the thumbnails when you move to a folder (CPU
>goes to near 100% while it loads all the thumbnails, but
> afterward you can scroll up/down and all the thumbnails are instantly
> there.)
>
> Try these free programs:
> XnView
> FastStone Image Viewer (free for home use)
>
>
> There's also a nice Duplicate Image Finder ($10) at
> http://www.rmsft.com/
> (not an exact duplicate file finder, more of a fuzzy "these two pictures
> look quite alike" finder.)
>
>
> MeZelf wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a couple of folders with quite a number of pictures in them and
>> have the folders set to display them as thumbnails.
>> But sadly only the files within the view of explorer get 'loaded' to
>> thumbnails.
>> And quitte slowly too.
>>
>> In XP if I scrolled down, explorer would load all graphic files as
>> thumbnails from the bottom of the list all the way up.
>> Is there is way of having Vista do this as well?
>> Of am I stuck on loading thumbnails on 'view-range' only?
>>
>> Sebastiaan


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2008
Donald Lessau
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Speed up thumbnails loading?
"MeZelf" <usul_atreides--not--@hotmail.not.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:%234EpHUkAJHA.3284@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Those programs do preload all thumbnails, but those are more like
> catalogmanagers.
> In my situation I have thumbnails done by explorer and use Picaview to
> view pictures I would like to view on screen.
>
> And the programs don't use explorer as a way to work with the pictures.
> Picaview in this matter is a plugin to explorer.exe which allows to
> preview and open the picture (lightweight, not with fat programs like
> Picture Galary).


If you are looking for a file manager that preloads all thumbnails in a
list: check out XYplorer. On the bottom of this page you find a screenshot
of a thumbnail listing:
http://www.xyplorer.com/release_7.50.htm
XYplorer optionally caches thumbnails, so any non-first visit to a folder is
lightning fast. Plus it has the so-called Mouse-Down-Blow-Up feature: left
mouse button down on a thumbnail will pop up a full size preview as long as
you hold the button down. Very useful!

http://www.xyplorer.com/

Don

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2008
MeZelf
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Speed up thumbnails loading?
It's not completely what I was looking for (its still outside explorer
itself) but this program will definitely helpout weeding out the majority of
files to ditch.
Sofar I use it with 'Details with Thumbnails #1 128x96' and it works
decently sofar.

Thanks for the tip on this program.

Sebastiaan


"Donald Lessau" <don@oflex.com> wrote in message
news:g8gg38$10p$1@newsreader2.netcologne.de...
....
>> Those programs do preload all thumbnails, but those are more like
>> catalogmanagers.
>> In my situation I have thumbnails done by explorer and use Picaview to
>> view pictures I would like to view on screen.

....
> If you are looking for a file manager that preloads all thumbnails in a
> list: check out XYplorer. On the bottom of this page you find a screenshot
> of a thumbnail listing:
> http://www.xyplorer.com/release_7.50.htm

....
> http://www.xyplorer.com/
>
> Don


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
blue screen, vista not loading, error says stopped loading to prot altimber microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 1 11-14-2009 04:29
Vista connection speed & email speed Gailinka Internet 0 07-14-2008 15:24
It's back: "HI-SPEED USB Device Attached To non-HI-SPEED Hub" Opinicus microsoft.public.windowsupdate 7 07-03-2008 16:14
Network speed is half or one third of speed on XP power 3 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 04-10-2008 22:50
How to check your Speed Boost tested memory speed Bob microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 02-23-2007 01:22




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:00.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120