Documents folder not recognized as "My Documents"

David Witus

Documents folder not recognized as "My Documents"
I have a Documents folder in my username folder but somehow Vista no longer
recognizes it as such. So, whenever I re-start my PC, Vista creates a new,
empty Documents folder in the same username folder and makes that the
Documents folder for purposes of Favorite Links, etc. I must have deleted an
attribute of some sort of the pre-existing Documents folder so now the
system views it as just a plain old folder in the username folder.

I just tried merging the two folders thinking that might accomplish it, but
I get a message that says "you need permission to do that" then asks me to
retry or cancel - neither of which, or course, get me there.

So, how do I give it back whatever attribute the Documents folder needs to
make Vista recognize it as the Documents that should be treated as "My
Documents" was treated in Windows XP?

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Documents folder not recognized as "My Documents"
In the 'Start Search' box on the Start Menu, type:

shellersonal<Enter>

This should open the folder that Vista thinks is your user's 'Documents'
folder.

If you view the Properties for this folder, there should be a 'Location' TAB
(not to be confused with the Location label on the 'General' tab. The
textbox contains the file system path to the folder. If it's not the folder
you want, use the 'Move' button to point it to the location you want.

However, you mention the new folder containing 'Favorites' & 'Links', and
those are normally under the User Profile folder (C:\Users\UserName).

If you could run the following commands from 'Start Search', each will open
an Explorer window. If you right-click once in the 'BreadCrumbs' bar and
select 'Copy Address', you can paste those addresses into a text file and
post them back with your reply.

shell:Personal
shell:Favorites
shell:Links

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"David Witus" <dwitus@msn.com> wrote in message
>I have a Documents folder in my username folder but somehow Vista no longer
>recognizes it as such. So, whenever I re-start my PC, Vista creates a new,
>empty Documents folder in the same username folder and makes that the
>Documents folder for purposes of Favorite Links, etc. I must have deleted
>an attribute of some sort of the pre-existing Documents folder so now the
>system views it as just a plain old folder in the username folder.
>
> I just tried merging the two folders thinking that might accomplish it,
> but I get a message that says "you need permission to do that" then asks
> me to retry or cancel - neither of which, or course, get me there.
>
> So, how do I give it back whatever attribute the Documents folder needs to
> make Vista recognize it as the Documents that should be treated as "My
> Documents" was treated in Windows XP?

=?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHkgSg==?=

Re: Documents folder not recognized as "My Documents"
I am having the same issues as David and I tried your suggestion but didn't
get anywhere. When I click on "Properties" for the Documents folder, nothing
opens.

"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

> In the 'Start Search' box on the Start Menu, type:
>
> shellersonal<Enter>
>
> This should open the folder that Vista thinks is your user's 'Documents'
> folder.
>
> If you view the Properties for this folder, there should be a 'Location' TAB
> (not to be confused with the Location label on the 'General' tab. The
> textbox contains the file system path to the folder. If it's not the folder
> you want, use the 'Move' button to point it to the location you want.
>
> However, you mention the new folder containing 'Favorites' & 'Links', and
> those are normally under the User Profile folder (C:\Users\UserName).
>
> If you could run the following commands from 'Start Search', each will open
> an Explorer window. If you right-click once in the 'BreadCrumbs' bar and
> select 'Copy Address', you can paste those addresses into a text file and
> post them back with your reply.
>
> shell:Personal
> shell:Favorites
> shell:Links
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "David Witus" <dwitus@msn.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Documents folder in my username folder but somehow Vista no longer
> >recognizes it as such. So, whenever I re-start my PC, Vista creates a new,
> >empty Documents folder in the same username folder and makes that the
> >Documents folder for purposes of Favorite Links, etc. I must have deleted
> >an attribute of some sort of the pre-existing Documents folder so now the
> >system views it as just a plain old folder in the username folder.
> >
> > I just tried merging the two folders thinking that might accomplish it,
> > but I get a message that says "you need permission to do that" then asks
> > me to retry or cancel - neither of which, or course, get me there.
> >
> > So, how do I give it back whatever attribute the Documents folder needs to
> > make Vista recognize it as the Documents that should be treated as "My
> > Documents" was treated in Windows XP?

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Documents folder not recognized as "My Documents"
In an Explorer window or on the Start Menu?

--

"Sandy J" <SandyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having the same issues as David and I tried your suggestion but didn't
> get anywhere. When I click on "Properties" for the Documents folder,
> nothing
> opens.
>
> "Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
>
>> In the 'Start Search' box on the Start Menu, type:
>>
>> shellersonal<Enter>
>>
>> This should open the folder that Vista thinks is your user's 'Documents'
>> folder.
>>
>> If you view the Properties for this folder, there should be a 'Location'
>> TAB
>> (not to be confused with the Location label on the 'General' tab. The
>> textbox contains the file system path to the folder. If it's not the
>> folder
>> you want, use the 'Move' button to point it to the location you want.
>>
>> However, you mention the new folder containing 'Favorites' & 'Links', and
>> those are normally under the User Profile folder (C:\Users\UserName).
>>
>> If you could run the following commands from 'Start Search', each will
>> open
>> an Explorer window. If you right-click once in the 'BreadCrumbs' bar and
>> select 'Copy Address', you can paste those addresses into a text file and
>> post them back with your reply.
>>
>> shell:Personal
>> shell:Favorites
>> shell:Links
>>

>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>
>> "David Witus" <dwitus@msn.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a Documents folder in my username folder but somehow Vista no
>> >longer
>> >recognizes it as such. So, whenever I re-start my PC, Vista creates a
>> >new,
>> >empty Documents folder in the same username folder and makes that the
>> >Documents folder for purposes of Favorite Links, etc. I must have
>> >deleted
>> >an attribute of some sort of the pre-existing Documents folder so now
>> >the
>> >system views it as just a plain old folder in the username folder.
>> >
>> > I just tried merging the two folders thinking that might accomplish it,
>> > but I get a message that says "you need permission to do that" then
>> > asks
>> > me to retry or cancel - neither of which, or course, get me there.
>> >
>> > So, how do I give it back whatever attribute the Documents folder needs
>> > make Vista recognize it as the Documents that should be treated as "My
>> > Documents" was treated in Windows XP?

=?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHkgSg==?=

Re: Documents folder not recognized as "My Documents"
It is in the Explorer window that opens when I type shellersonal in the
start search box. It opens to the documents folder that windows thinks my
documents are in, but they are in the other one. This folder has a blue
icon, the one where my docments are is a yellow folder icon. I have tried
moving my documents to the blue folder, but that just creates another folder
in the document folder and buries the documents one layer deeper. I cannot
rename or remove either document folder.

"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

> In an Explorer window or on the Start Menu?
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "Sandy J" <SandyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having the same issues as David and I tried your suggestion but didn't
> > get anywhere. When I click on "Properties" for the Documents folder,
> > nothing
> > opens.
> >
> > "Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> In the 'Start Search' box on the Start Menu, type:
> >>
> >> shellersonal<Enter>
> >>
> >> This should open the folder that Vista thinks is your user's 'Documents'
> >> folder.
> >>
> >> If you view the Properties for this folder, there should be a 'Location'
> >> TAB
> >> (not to be confused with the Location label on the 'General' tab. The
> >> textbox contains the file system path to the folder. If it's not the
> >> folder
> >> you want, use the 'Move' button to point it to the location you want.
> >>
> >> However, you mention the new folder containing 'Favorites' & 'Links', and
> >> those are normally under the User Profile folder (C:\Users\UserName).
> >>
> >> If you could run the following commands from 'Start Search', each will
> >> open
> >> an Explorer window. If you right-click once in the 'BreadCrumbs' bar and
> >> select 'Copy Address', you can paste those addresses into a text file and
> >> post them back with your reply.
> >>
> >> shell:Personal
> >> shell:Favorites
> >> shell:Links
> >>

> >> --
> >> Good Luck,
> >>
> >> Keith
> >> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Documents folder not recognized as "My Documents"
If Favorite Links are filling the left-pane of Explorer, click the up-arrow
at the bottom where it says 'Folders' so you can see your folder tree. You
should be able to right-click the blue folder icon and view properties -- is
that not working?

Click once in the Breadcrumbs bar of each folder to view the path to each
folder.

If you want the empty folder that Vista currently thinks is Documents folder
to remain your Documents folder, just open the other folder, press <Ctrl>+A
to select everything, right-click & select 'Copy'. Open the empty folder,
right-click & select 'Paste'. Once you're sure everything has copied over,
you can delete the contents from the other folder.

If you want the folder that currently has your documents to be designated as
the Documents folder, use the 'Move' button I mentioned in the previous post
to point it at the folder that currently contains your documents, say yes
when asked about moving all files, this will give your Documents folder its
special icon & delete the now unused folder.

--

> It is in the Explorer window that opens when I type shellersonal in the
> start search box. It opens to the documents folder that windows thinks my
> documents are in, but they are in the other one. This folder has a blue
> icon, the one where my docments are is a yellow folder icon. I have tried
> moving my documents to the blue folder, but that just creates another
> folder
> in the document folder and buries the documents one layer deeper. I
> cannot
> rename or remove either document folder.
>
> "Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
>
>> In an Explorer window or on the Start Menu?
>>

>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>
>> "Sandy J" <SandyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am having the same issues as David and I tried your suggestion but
>> >didn't
>> > get anywhere. When I click on "Properties" for the Documents folder,
>> > nothing
>> > opens.

=?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHkgSg==?=

Re: Documents folder not recognized as "My Documents"
OK, I was able to right-click and get the properties tab to open.
The Blue icon folder has a location tab that reads:
C:\Users\Sandy\Documents\New Folder\Documents. It is empty. But it is the
default Document folder.
The Yellow icon folder has no location tab but it says in the General screen
that the location is: C:\Users\Sandy. It has all my documents in it.
When I follow your instructions to move the Blue icon folder into the Yellow
icon folder I get this error message: Cannot redirect descendant into
parent. The specified path is invalid.

How did I screw things up so badly? Is there a magical way to just delete
the empty folder? If I could, then wouldn't the default automatically go to
the folder named Documents? I can't delete either folder so the name must
have some signficance.

Thanks for your help.

"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

> If Favorite Links are filling the left-pane of Explorer, click the up-arrow
> at the bottom where it says 'Folders' so you can see your folder tree. You
> should be able to right-click the blue folder icon and view properties -- is
> that not working?
>
> Click once in the Breadcrumbs bar of each folder to view the path to each
> folder.
>
> If you want the empty folder that Vista currently thinks is Documents folder
> to remain your Documents folder, just open the other folder, press <Ctrl>+A
> to select everything, right-click & select 'Copy'. Open the empty folder,
> right-click & select 'Paste'. Once you're sure everything has copied over,
> you can delete the contents from the other folder.
>
> If you want the folder that currently has your documents to be designated as
> the Documents folder, use the 'Move' button I mentioned in the previous post
> to point it at the folder that currently contains your documents, say yes
> when asked about moving all files, this will give your Documents folder its
> special icon & delete the now unused folder.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "Sandy J" <SandyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It is in the Explorer window that opens when I type shellersonal in the
> > start search box. It opens to the documents folder that windows thinks my
> > documents are in, but they are in the other one. This folder has a blue
> > icon, the one where my docments are is a yellow folder icon. I have tried
> > moving my documents to the blue folder, but that just creates another
> > folder
> > in the document folder and buries the documents one layer deeper. I
> > cannot
> > rename or remove either document folder.
> >
> > "Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> In an Explorer window or on the Start Menu?
> >>

> >> --
> >> Good Luck,
> >>
> >> Keith
> >> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Documents folder not recognized as "My Documents"
Attached is a zip file which contains a .reg file that will reset your
Documents folder. Save the zip file to your Desktop, then right-click it &
select 'Extract All...'. If you accept the defaults from expansion, you'll
now have a folder on your Desktop containing a single file,
'DefaultDocumentsEntry.reg'. Double-click this file to merge it, you'll get
a warning, but proceed through it. Log off & log back on and your Documents
folder should be reset to 'C:\Users\Sandy\Documents'.

--

> [...]
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>
>> "Sandy J" <SandyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It is in the Explorer window that opens when I type shellersonal in
>> > the
>> > start search box. It opens to the documents folder that windows thinks
>> > my
>> > documents are in, but they are in the other one. This folder has a
>> > blue
>> > icon, the one where my docments are is a yellow folder icon. I have
>> > tried
>> > moving my documents to the blue folder, but that just creates another
>> > folder
>> > in the document folder and buries the documents one layer deeper. I
>> > cannot
>> > rename or remove either document folder.

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Documents folder not recognized as "My Documents"
I suppose the actual attachment would help!!! :-)

--
> [...]

>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>
>> "Sandy J" <SandyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It is in the Explorer window that opens when I type shellersonal in
>> > the
>> > start search box. It opens to the documents folder that windows thinks
>> > my
>> > documents are in, but they are in the other one. This folder has a
>> > blue
>> > icon, the one where my docments are is a yellow folder icon. I have
>> > tried
>> > moving my documents to the blue folder, but that just creates another
>> > folder
>> > in the document folder and buries the documents one layer deeper. I
>> > cannot
>> > rename or remove either document folder.

=?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHkgSg==?=

Re: Documents folder not recognized as "My Documents"
Thanks for all your help, Keith, it is very much appreciated. I hate to be
such a dummy, but I can't find the attached zip file to extract onto my
desktop.