Install for all users

O_P

Install for all users

I HAVE to be able to install a program so that there is at least a
shortcut available to all users. Since there is not an all users
directory anymore does anyone know how to do it?

Does one of the new versions of Installshield allow for this kind of
configuration?

--
O_P
Bruce Chambers

Re: Install for all users
O_P wrote:
> I HAVE to be able to install a program so that there is at least a
> shortcut available to all users. Since there is not an all users
> directory anymore does anyone know how to do it?
>
> Does one of the new versions of Installshield allow for this kind of
> configuration?

Any application that's been properly designed for use on Vista would
either give the person performing the installation the option of making
the application available to all users, or do so automatically, by
default. So, the easiest way, of course, is to use an application
that's designed for a multi-user OS. But, sadly, that isn't always an
option.

If the legacy application you're installing places its shortcuts only
in the Start Menu of the person performing the installation, all that
you may have to do is move those Start Menu entries to the same location
in the All Users profile.

Further, such an incompatible application may offer additional
"challenges:"

You may experience some problems if the software was designed for
Win9x/Me, or if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP,Vista, but was
improperly designed. Quite simply, the application doesn't "know" how to
handle individual user profiles with differing security permissions
levels, or the application is designed to make to make changes to
"off-limits" sections of the Windows registry or protected Windows
system folders.

For example, saved data are often stored in a sub-folder under the
application's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
inexperienced or limited user should ever have write permissions.

It may even be that the software requires "write" access to parts
of the registry or protected systems folders/files that are not normally
accessible to regular users. (This *won't* occur if the application is
properly written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're
often left with three options: Either grant the necessary users
appropriate higher access privileges (either as Power Users or local
administrators), explicitly grant normal users elevated privileges to
the affected folders and/or part(s) or the registry, or replace the
application with one that was properly designed specifically for
WinNT/2K/XP.

Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account

Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

"If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
is the default.

C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

If you wish to undo these changes, then run

C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

If you still have a problem with running the program or saving settings
on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on the registry
keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app, where
"vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your specific
program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users full control."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Brink

Re: Install for all users

O_P;803873 Wrote:
> I HAVE to be able to install a program so that there is at least a
> shortcut available to all users. Since there is not an all users
> directory anymore does anyone know how to do it?
>
> Does one of the new versions of Installshield allow for this kind of
> configuration?

Hi O_P,

Some programs have the option to install for current or all users
during installation. If your program does not, then you can install it
and place a shortcut of it in the "All Users" Start Menu location. This
way all users will have a shortcut for it that they can copy and place
where they like also. Option Two (step 2) for the Normal Start Menu in
this tutorial will help show you how to if needed.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...shortcuts.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Hank Arnold (MVP)

Re: Install for all users
O_P wrote:
> I HAVE to be able to install a program so that there is at least a
> shortcut available to all users. Since there is not an all users
> directory anymore does anyone know how to do it?
>
> Does one of the new versions of Installshield allow for this kind of
> configuration?

It looks like there is a "Public" directory....

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
WCGal

Re: Install for all users

::*When one D/L's and installs whatever program, how does one make it
available to all users? Is there an 'All Users' D/L folder or ?? It's
kind of ridiculous to have to D/L a program twice - once for each user.

My latest instance is a gadget which I D/L'd and installed under my
user name. Now I want to add it to my DH's user name/interface. I
can't figure out how to do that without D/L'ing again?

I also D/L'd Open Office, again in my user name. It shows under
programs on both user names. I never clicked on anything - it just
showed up. So why the differentiation?

Links Bar -- I added the links bar and it shows up on both users with
the appropriate links, but on my links bar the icons show, on DH's = no
icons. I don't really care about that but why the inconsistency?

Another weird - though totally O/T - is often it seems one needs to
click on an arrow rather than just hitting enter? Even just choosing
which user, entering the password then one needs (at least I do) to
click on the arrow. Hitting enter does nothing. What's that? Have I
set something up incorrectly?

Thanks for any help.*::

--
WCGal