restoring from full PC backup set

John DeStefano

restoring from full PC backup set
Before repartitioning my hard drive, I used Vista's Home Premium's
full PC backup option to save all my files to another drive. It
created a directory named after my machine, which contains a "Backup
Set (date)" directory that has a Catalogs and a Backup Files (date)
directory. The process completed just fine, so I went ahead with
repartitioning and reinstalled Vista.

Now, when I try to restore these files, Vista doesn't see them, and it
says I have no files to restore. I also tried sharing this folder so
that I could enter the path in the Network field, but that didn't work
either. I tried to manually copy the backed-up files, but it seems
that the backup application split up all files that were larger than a
certain size, and I can't manually put them back together.

How can I restore these files?

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: restoring from full PC backup set
Did you move the backup files to a different location by chance? Or did you
just make the backup, save it on your other drive, and then you are now
attempting to restore?

news:1174942703.095265.320210@n59g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...

On Mar 26, 7:10 pm, "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <j...@online.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Did you move the backup files to a different location by chance? Or did you
> just make the backup, save it on your other drive, and then you are now
> attempting to restore?

I created the backup directly on another drive (USB external), and I
haven't moved them. I'm trying to restore them from that location.

> "John DeStefano" <john.destef...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Before repartitioning my hard drive, I used Vista's Home Premium's
> > full PC backup option to save all my files to another drive. It
> > created a directory named after my machine, which contains a "Backup
> > Set (date)" directory that has a Catalogs and a Backup Files (date)
> > directory. The process completed just fine, so I went ahead with
> > repartitioning and reinstalled Vista.

> > Now, when I try to restore these files, Vista doesn't see them, and it
> > says I have no files to restore. I also tried sharing this folder so
> > that I could enter the path in the Network field, but that didn't work
> > either. I tried to manually copy the backed-up files, but it seems
> > that the backup application split up all files that were larger than a
> > certain size, and I can't manually put them back together.

> > How can I restore these files?

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: restoring from full PC backup set
John, can you generate an output file and email it to me? I need you to run
the following command from an elevated command prompt, replacing x: with the
volume that contains the backup.

dir /b /s /a x:\ > c:\output.txt

To email this to me, remove "online" from my address.

(To start an elevated command prompt, type "command prompt" in the Start
Search area on the Start menu. Right-click the Command Prompt icon that
appears and then click Run As Administrator.)

news:1174953910.222943.53370@y80g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...