Windows Search Crashing Constantly

Ingram Barclay

Windows Search Crashing Constantly
Over the weekend Windows Search started crashing constantly on my Vista SP1
system. By constantly, I mean that if I let Windows close it, then within
one minute it will crash again.

My problem is almosty certainly related to Outlook 2007's offline file, as
not having Outlook running keeps the crash from happening.

I have forced Outlook to recreate the ost by deleting it, and I have forced
an index rebuild in Windows Search. The problem continues.

Any help offered would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Ingram Barclay
Ted L

RE: Windows Search Crashing Constantly
Over the last few days Windows Explorer searches always lead to a crash,
irrespective what else is or isn't running. Error message as follows:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library.
Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Windows\Explorer.exe
abnormal program termination

Closing the message simply clears the desktop and returns to default
desktop. Other programs which are running in general seem to continue.

I understood W Explorer has similarities to I.Explorer so tried the old
chestnut of disabling third party extensions from the Internet Options, but
to no avail.

Not having Outlook running makes no difference.

May be the same problem? Absolute pain not being able to search any more.

Any ideas, anyone out there?

"Ingram Barclay" wrote:

> Over the weekend Windows Search started crashing constantly on my Vista SP1
> system. By constantly, I mean that if I let Windows close it, then within
> one minute it will crash again.
>
> My problem is almosty certainly related to Outlook 2007's offline file, as
> not having Outlook running keeps the crash from happening.
>
> I have forced Outlook to recreate the ost by deleting it, and I have forced
> an index rebuild in Windows Search. The problem continues.
>
> Any help offered would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Ingram Barclay

Ted L

RE: Windows Search Crashing Constantly
I will copy this thread across to a different area, namely "Explorer Crash"
as that seems to have more about this sort of problem!

See:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...2-8c4fd1a964ce

Hope this helps both of us! Ted L

"Ted L" wrote:

> Over the last few days Windows Explorer searches always lead to a crash,
> irrespective what else is or isn't running. Error message as follows:
>
> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library.
> Runtime Error!
> Program: C:\Windows\Explorer.exe
> abnormal program termination
>
> Closing the message simply clears the desktop and returns to default
> desktop. Other programs which are running in general seem to continue.
>
> I understood W Explorer has similarities to I.Explorer so tried the old
> chestnut of disabling third party extensions from the Internet Options, but
> to no avail.
>
> Not having Outlook running makes no difference.
>
> May be the same problem? Absolute pain not being able to search any more.
>
> Any ideas, anyone out there?
>
> ================================================== ==
>
> "Ingram Barclay" wrote:
>
> > Over the weekend Windows Search started crashing constantly on my Vista SP1
> > system. By constantly, I mean that if I let Windows close it, then within
> > one minute it will crash again.
> >
> > My problem is almosty certainly related to Outlook 2007's offline file, as
> > not having Outlook running keeps the crash from happening.
> >
> > I have forced Outlook to recreate the ost by deleting it, and I have forced
> > an index rebuild in Windows Search. The problem continues.
> >
> > Any help offered would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --
> > Ingram Barclay

Ingram Barclay

RE: Windows Search Crashing Constantly
Ted, did you find your resolution? If not, let me know and I'll help you out.
--
Ingram Barclay