MS Search Protocol Host has stopped working...

Mills Architect

MS Search Protocol Host has stopped working...
Once the Indexing function of Vista is complete, I find that if I have my
Outlook2007 (OL) open for more than about 10-15 min, I get the message "MS
Search Protocol Host has stopped working...". Once this happens, my e-mails
will usually not be available. Also, Calendar, Contacts, etc. True, all you
have to do is close out of OL and reopen. But it will be short time then The
Message shows again. Before Vista and Office 2007, I did not have this
problem. I'd like to mention that when I do not have The Message, the search
functions work really well (i.e. OL, Explorer, etc).

Following is generally what I have system-wise...
SOFTWARE
- Vista Ultimate x86 - MS Office 2007 Pro - MS Office Accounting
7 - AutoCAD 2007 LT - Norton 360 - Live Messenger - MS Streets
2006 - Adobe Acrobat v8 - Adobe Photoshop Elements v5 - Family
Treemaker 2006
HARDWARE
- MachSpeed MoBo - AMD 64 +3700 CPU - 2GB DDR 400 RAM

I'm sure there are other specs I haven't mentioned. Hopefully the above
helps. To the best of my knowlege, I have all updates, patches, etc. Also,
when I install a new OS, I always reformat for a clean install.

HELP. I'd like to be able to have my OL on all the time as I used to. Surely
I'm not the only one with these symptoms. This is the only
fly-in-the-ointment I've run across with Vista and Office 2007. Would love
to get a fix for this too...

DMills

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: MS Search Protocol Host has stopped working...
Since this appears to be an Outlook issue, you should also post in the
outlook.general group. Several Instant Search issues are starting to appear
there. Make sure you specify your settings for Instant Search and whether
these were clean installs of Office and Vista or upgrades. Also post what
you see in Outlook's Indexing Status... before you get the error message.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Mills Architect" <millsaia@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Once the Indexing function of Vista is complete, I find that if I have my
> Outlook2007 (OL) open for more than about 10-15 min, I get the message "MS
> Search Protocol Host has stopped working...". Once this happens, my
> e-mails will usually not be available. Also, Calendar, Contacts, etc.
> True, all you have to do is close out of OL and reopen. But it will be
> short time then The Message shows again. Before Vista and Office 2007, I
> did not have this problem. I'd like to mention that when I do not have The
> Message, the search functions work really well (i.e. OL, Explorer, etc).
>
> Following is generally what I have system-wise...
> SOFTWARE
> - Vista Ultimate x86 - MS Office 2007 Pro - MS Office Accounting
> - AutoCAD 2007 LT - Norton 360 - Live Messenger - MS Streets
> 2006 - Adobe Acrobat v8 - Adobe Photoshop Elements v5 - Family
> Treemaker 2006
> HARDWARE
> - MachSpeed MoBo - AMD 64 +3700 CPU - 2GB DDR 400 RAM
>
> I'm sure there are other specs I haven't mentioned. Hopefully the above
> helps. To the best of my knowlege, I have all updates, patches, etc. Also,
> when I install a new OS, I always reformat for a clean install.
>
> HELP. I'd like to be able to have my OL on all the time as I used to.
> Surely I'm not the only one with these symptoms. This is the only
> fly-in-the-ointment I've run across with Vista and Office 2007. Would love
> to get a fix for this too...
>
> DMills

Mills Architect

Re: MS Search Protocol Host has stopped working...
Thanks for the advice and direction. The info I know right now...

PDF notes (tried to attache screen shots but file too big) of times and
settings...
1.) Page 1 - copy screen at 11:58 pm - Control Panel>Indexing
Options>Modify - selected locations (MS Office Outlook (outlook.pst, Bus
Contact Mgr) and Offline Files (default locations) - note that INDEXING IS
COMPLETE at 144,335 items; I do not have the .pst files specified in the
Modify button.
2.) Page 2 - copy screen at 12:16 am - open OL to get search options; using
default search settings from install.
3.) Page 3 - copy screen at 12:18 am - note that "MS Search Protocol Host
has stopped working..." error message appeared. [2] minutes after opening
OL. Barely [15] minutes after indexing showed being complete.
4.) Page 4 - copy screen at 12:22 am - note settings of OL com add-ins;
Windows Search e-mail indexer is checked (cannot turn off it seems).

Software install notes...
1.) Vista Ultimate x86, Upgrade version - installed using method that
installs not activated, then formats C: drive, then "upgrade" to Vista
Ultimate x86. This is as clean as I could figure. I have WinXP Pro, have
installed and upgraded from that also. Just trying to get as clean an
install as possible.
2.) MS Office 2007 Pro - Have downloaded from MS purchase on line. Doing
clean, full install, not upgrade.

By the way, I have installed a trial of OneNote2007 (OneNote) for a bit.
While OneNote is open, and Outlook2007 (OL) closed, the same Phenomenon ("MS
Search Protocol Host has stopped working...") occurs.
So I don't think it is exclusively OL. The Phenomenon does not occur when
OneNote and/or OL are closed. It does not occur when any other applications
(i.e. Office (not including OL or OneNote) or any others) are open.

I am not a programmer, however, I've dealt with "funny acting" programs in
the past (esp in beta testing). Anyway, the similarity between OL and
OneNote is that as long as they are open, the file size tends to be dynamic,
changing all the time. Is it that Search and Indexing want to have files
that are not continually changing in size, or character, or whatever? If
that's the case, surely there's a way to keep that phenom from happening.
Didn't happen in WinXP or Office2003 (that I'm aware of anyway). Maybe
this'll help. Again, I can't be the only one this happens to. :=(

Sorry to be so wordy. Posting this also to the outlook.general group. Thanks
for any and all help.

DMills

> Since this appears to be an Outlook issue, you should also post in the
> outlook.general group. Several Instant Search issues are starting to
> appear there. Make sure you specify your settings for Instant Search and
> whether these were clean installs of Office and Vista or upgrades. Also
> post what you see in Outlook's Indexing Status... before you get the error
> message.
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Mills Architect" <millsaia@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Once the Indexing function of Vista is complete, I find that if I have my
>> Outlook2007 (OL) open for more than about 10-15 min, I get the message
>> "MS Search Protocol Host has stopped working...". Once this happens, my
>> e-mails will usually not be available. Also, Calendar, Contacts, etc.
>> True, all you have to do is close out of OL and reopen. But it will be
>> short time then The Message shows again. Before Vista and Office 2007, I
>> did not have this problem. I'd like to mention that when I do not have
>> The Message, the search functions work really well (i.e. OL, Explorer,
>> etc).
>>
>> Following is generally what I have system-wise...
>> SOFTWARE
>> - Vista Ultimate x86 - MS Office 2007 Pro - MS Office Accounting -
>> AutoCAD 2007 LT - Norton 360 - Live Messenger - MS Streets
>> 6 - Adobe Acrobat v8 - Adobe Photoshop Elements v5 - Family
>> Treemaker 2006
>> HARDWARE
>> - MachSpeed MoBo - AMD 64 +3700 CPU - 2GB DDR 400 RAM
>>
>> I'm sure there are other specs I haven't mentioned. Hopefully the above
>> helps. To the best of my knowlege, I have all updates, patches, etc.
>> Also, when I install a new OS, I always reformat for a clean install.
>>
>> HELP. I'd like to be able to have my OL on all the time as I used to.
>> Surely I'm not the only one with these symptoms. This is the only
>> fly-in-the-ointment I've run across with Vista and Office 2007. Would
>> love to get a fix for this too...
>>
>> DMills

Dave Wood [MS]

Re: MS Search Protocol Host has stopped working...
Hi there,

Could you take a look in Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> Problem
Reports and Solutions and then go to View Problem History? Are there any
problem listed there for "MS Search Protocol Host" or similar? If so we
might be able to do some investigation ...

Dave Wood

> [...]
>>> AutoCAD 2007 LT - Norton 360 - Live Messenger - MS Streets
>>> - Adobe Acrobat v8 - Adobe Photoshop Elements v5 - Family
>>> Treemaker 2006
>>> HARDWARE
>>> - MachSpeed MoBo - AMD 64 +3700 CPU - 2GB DDR 400 RAM
>>>
>>> I'm sure there are other specs I haven't mentioned. Hopefully the above
>>> helps. To the best of my knowlege, I have all updates, patches, etc.
>>> Also, when I install a new OS, I always reformat for a clean install.
>>>
>>> HELP. I'd like to be able to have my OL on all the time as I used to.
>>> Surely I'm not the only one with these symptoms. This is the only
>>> fly-in-the-ointment I've run across with Vista and Office 2007. Would
>>> love to get a fix for this too...
>>>
>>> DMills

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: MS Search Protocol Host has stopped working...
Note: You can only access these dialogs if you use Vista's new view of
Control Panel, which nearly all Outlook users had to abandon long ago. It
hides access to the Mail configuration dialog we need to be able to keep
Outlook functioning.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Dave Wood [MS]" <davewood@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> whatever? If that's the case, surely there's a way to keep that phenom
>> from happening. Didn't happen in WinXP or Office2003 (that I'm aware of
>> anyway). Maybe this'll help. Again, I can't be the only one this happens
>> to. :=(
>>
>> Sorry to be so wordy. Posting this also to the outlook.general group.
>> Thanks for any and all help.
>>
>> DMills
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Since this appears to be an Outlook issue, you should also post in the
>>> outlook.general group. Several Instant Search issues are starting to
>>> appear there. Make sure you specify your settings for Instant Search and
>>> whether these were clean installs of Office and Vista or upgrades. Also
>>> post what you see in Outlook's Indexing Status... before you get the

Dave Wood [MS]

Re: MS Search Protocol Host has stopped working...
Not to get too off-topic, but I think I have the default Start Menu and
Control Panel setup, and I can get to the Outlook Mail control panel in one
of three ways:
- Type "mail" in the Start Menu;
- Open Control Panel and type "mail" in the search box there;
- Open Control Panel and select the "User Accounts" option.

Would these work for you if you switched back to the default view? Also if
you are using Classic View I think Control Panel -> Problem Reports and
Solutions -> View problem history will get you to the place I mentionned
below.

Dave

> [...]
>>> when OneNote and/or OL are closed. It does not occur when any other
>>> applications (i.e. Office (not including OL or OneNote) or any others)
>>> are open.
>>>
>>> I am not a programmer, however, I've dealt with "funny acting" programs
>>> in the past (esp in beta testing). Anyway, the similarity between OL and
>>> OneNote is that as long as they are open, the file size tends to be
>>> dynamic, changing all the time. Is it that Search and Indexing want to
>>> have files that are not continually changing in size, or character, or
>>> whatever? If that's the case, surely there's a way to keep that phenom
>>> from happening. Didn't happen in WinXP or Office2003 (that I'm aware of
>>> anyway). Maybe this'll help. Again, I can't be the only one this happens
>>> to. :=(
>>>
>>> Sorry to be so wordy. Posting this also to the outlook.general group.

Mills Architect

Re: MS Search Protocol Host has stopped working...
OK. Have looked at problem reports. Between 2-28-07 and today (3-27-07),
there have been [297] Search Protocol Stopped Working reports. Most, not
all, have been sent to MS. Of interest, in that time, OL2007 has dumped [15]
times.

Do i need to gather reports and send the whole bunch? Thanks for your help,
and interest...

DMills

> [...]
>> whatever? If that's the case, surely there's a way to keep that phenom
>> from happening. Didn't happen in WinXP or Office2003 (that I'm aware of
>> anyway). Maybe this'll help. Again, I can't be the only one this happens
>> to. :=(
>>
>> Sorry to be so wordy. Posting this also to the outlook.general group.
>> Thanks for any and all help.
>>
>> DMills
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Since this appears to be an Outlook issue, you should also post in the
>>> outlook.general group. Several Instant Search issues are starting to
>>> appear there. Make sure you specify your settings for Instant Search and
>>> whether these were clean installs of Office and Vista or upgrades. Also
>>> post what you see in Outlook's Indexing Status... before you get the

Dave Wood [MS]

Re: MS Search Protocol Host has stopped working...
Excellent! Now what I need is the Bucket ID for the SearchProtocolHost
crashes. This is one of the fields listed when you double-click on a problem
report entry. It may be that it's the same value for every crash or there
may be a few different ones.

You can either post the ID(s) or send to me at davewood@microsoft.com. Then
{hopefully} I can look up your problem report in our database and debug it

Dave

> [...]
>>> when OneNote and/or OL are closed. It does not occur when any other
>>> applications (i.e. Office (not including OL or OneNote) or any others)
>>> are open.
>>>
>>> I am not a programmer, however, I've dealt with "funny acting" programs
>>> in the past (esp in beta testing). Anyway, the similarity between OL and
>>> OneNote is that as long as they are open, the file size tends to be
>>> dynamic, changing all the time. Is it that Search and Indexing want to
>>> have files that are not continually changing in size, or character, or
>>> whatever? If that's the case, surely there's a way to keep that phenom
>>> from happening. Didn't happen in WinXP or Office2003 (that I'm aware of
>>> anyway). Maybe this'll help. Again, I can't be the only one this happens
>>> to. :=(
>>>
>>> Sorry to be so wordy. Posting this also to the outlook.general group.

Mills Architect

Re: MS Search Protocol Host has stopped working...
Sent you e-mail with pdf attachment of the Bucket ID and other info. There
are two Bucket IDs associated with the Search Host thing: 14667760 (most
prevelent) and 11640871. As of this writting (28Mar07, 2:12pm EST), there
are now [314] "MS Search Protocol Host" problems, and now [19] "MS Outlook"
problems noted. The OL problems seem to have varied Bucket IDs. But the
Search Host probelms are predominently 14667760. How can I help???

DMills

> Excellent! Now what I need is the Bucket ID for the SearchProtocolHost
> crashes. This is one of the fields listed when you double-click on a
> problem report entry. It may be that it's the same value for every crash
> or there may be a few different ones.
>
> You can either post the ID(s) or send to me at davewood@microsoft.com.
> Then {hopefully} I can look up your problem report in our database and
> debug it ...
>
> Dave
>
> "Mills Architect" <millsaia@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> OK. Have looked at problem reports. Between 2-28-07 and today (3-27-07),
>> there have been [297] Search Protocol Stopped Working reports. Most, not
>> all, have been sent to MS. Of interest, in that time, OL2007 has dumped
>> [15] times.
>>
>> Do i need to gather reports and send the whole bunch? Thanks for your
>> help, and interest...
>>
>> DMills
>>

>> "Dave Wood [MS]" <davewood@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> Could you take a look in Control Panel -> System and Maintenance ->
>>> Problem Reports and Solutions and then go to View Problem History? Are
>>> there any problem listed there for "MS Search Protocol Host" or similar?
>>> If so we might be able to do some investigation ...
>>>
>>> Dave Wood

Dave Wood [MS]

Re: MS Search Protocol Host has stopped working...
I just had a look at these buckets. We're still in the process on
investigating, but it appears that this is an issue related to the "Business
Contacts Manager" add-in for Outlook. Did you install this add-on?

I'm really not an expert on Business Contacts Manager but I'm thinking there
may be a workaround to prevent search from indexing its data. I think if you
open the Indexing Options control panel and hit Modify, then under Outlook
there may be a location defined there for BCM. If you disable indexing for
this location then search will stop trying to index your BCM contacts.

Let me know if this helps ...

Dave