Outlook 2007 lost emails when moved to Vista

geezerdiamond

Outlook 2007 lost emails when moved to Vista

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum (and Vista!) and have a slight problem...

I had a PC with XP and Office 2007 installed - this PC recently died
(motherboard went) so I bit the bullet and bought a new PC with Vista
Home Premium on it.

Once up and running and with Office 2007 installed, I put the hard
drive from my old PC in, copied the Outlook.pst and Outlook.nk2 files
over.

When I started Outlook up again on the new PC, my email folders were
there and everything looked fine until I noticed that the newest email
was May 2007 - it appears to have lost everything for the last year.

I even tried doing an import from the pst on the old drive but it came
up with the same emails.

Some background:
I used to have Office 2003 on the old PC which was then upgraded to
2007 (roughly a year ago) - did 2007 introduce a different storage file
and my emails since that point are in there instead of the PST file?

I've searched the hard drive for *.pst but only this one showed up.

Any help/advice would be greatly welcomed - there are numerous emails I
need back that contain software licence keys etc

Cheers,
Matt

--
geezerdiamond
h8k

Re: Outlook 2007 lost emails when moved to Vista

You can try to use ScanPST.exe to repair your .pst file...
This is a Microsoft tool installed with Outlook.

--
h8k
Mike Hall - MVP

"geezerdiamond" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi there,
>
> I'm new to this forum (and Vista!) and have a slight problem...
>
> I had a PC with XP and Office 2007 installed - this PC recently died
> (motherboard went) so I bit the bullet and bought a new PC with Vista
> Home Premium on it.
>
> Once up and running and with Office 2007 installed, I put the hard
> drive from my old PC in, copied the Outlook.pst and Outlook.nk2 files
> over.
>
> When I started Outlook up again on the new PC, my email folders were
> there and everything looked fine until I noticed that the newest email
> was May 2007 - it appears to have lost everything for the last year.
>
> I even tried doing an import from the pst on the old drive but it came
> up with the same emails.
>
> Some background:
> I used to have Office 2003 on the old PC which was then upgraded to
> 2007 (roughly a year ago) - did 2007 introduce a different storage file
> and my emails since that point are in there instead of the PST file?
>
> I've searched the hard drive for *.pst but only this one showed up.
>
> Any help/advice would be greatly welcomed - there are numerous emails I
> need back that contain software licence keys etc
>
> Cheers,
> Matt
>

> --
> geezerdiamond

If you still have the drive, do an advanced search on

*.pst

ensuring that you include non-indexed and hidden files in the search..

and include no

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

geezerdiamond

Re: Outlook 2007 lost emails when moved to Vista

Hi.

Unfortunately I already did that, nothing else found :-(

Cheers,
Matt

--
geezerdiamond
geezerdiamond

h8k;778645 Wrote:
> You can try to use ScanPST.exe to repair your .pst file...
> This is a Microsoft tool installed with Outlook.

Cheers, I'll give that a try - I'd be surprised if it was corrupted but
you never know!

geezerdiamond
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Outlook 2007 lost emails when moved to Vista
So in essence, you transferred the wrong file and can't find the right file?
How can we help you?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

> Hi.
>
> Unfortunately I already did that, nothing else found :-(
>
> Cheers,
> Matt
>

> --
> geezerdiamond

DL

Re: Outlook 2007 lost emails when moved to Vista
When you upgraded OL2003 to OL2007 under normal circumstance the upgrade
would have connected to your origonal pst file.
The first pst created is named outlook.pst, by default, subsequently created
pst files are named outlook1.pst again by default.
Check the name of your current pst.
When you copied your old pst to Vista did you ovewrite any existing pst? -
as this is a good way to corrupt a pst.
You are sure you searched your old drive, to include hidden files, for pst?

"geezerdiamond" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi.
>
> Unfortunately I already did that, nothing else found :-(
>
> Cheers,
> Matt
>

> --
> geezerdiamond

geezerdiamond

Re: Outlook 2007 lost emails when moved to Vista

Hi Russ,

I'm 99% sure it's the right one - I was kind of hoping there may have
been another reason (such as finding out that OL2007 stored them
somewhere else) as to why my emails have gone and that someone on here
would have been able to tell me.

Matt

--
geezerdiamond
geezerdiamond

Re: Outlook 2007 lost emails when moved to Vista

Hi there,

On the new PC, I installed OL2007, copied over my PST file and then
started OL.

Just in case that did something wrong, I've tried to do an import from
my file but with the same results.

Does anyone know if there's a config file that I can look for on the
old PC's drive that would contain the location of the pst on that
installation? I could then open that config and go and look in the
location it states.
I'm guessing it's in the registry in which case, is there a way of
exploring a registry file taken from another machine? (obviously without
exporting from RegEdit since I can't boot the old PC)

Cheers,
Matt

--
geezerdiamond
DL

Re: Outlook 2007 lost emails when moved to Vista
The default locations being;

a.. Make sure you include hidden and system files and folders when
searching for pst-file
b.. By default it is located in
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook\
For Windows Vista the default is
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outloo k\
c.. You can also locate the file by using
Rightclick the root folder (probably Outlook Today)-> Properties-> button
Advanced-> field Filename