File Managent is making me dislike Vista

just bob

File Managent is making me dislike Vista
It's been about 18 days since I've complained about this so here I go again
with a similar but different explanation:

The one thing that really bothers me, which really makes Vista unusable for
my production work the file management, and this "Calculating Time
Remaining" when you try to copy or move files.

My problem is, when I drag and drop to move a folder of 20GB of photos to a
different subfolder on my C drive of my Dell D820 laptop running Vista
Ultimate, there is a dialog box which says "Calculating time remaining". And
it stays there for a LONG time.

When I try moving around folders of an even larger size, forget it. Send
everyone on a break because we're not getting any work done for a while.

The other thing is the visual you get when you drag and drop folders.

I'm used to the XP Explorer when you can drag a folder from the right pane
and drop it on a folder in the left pane. While this still works, the
animated icon covers up the folders you are trying to drop on. Now, there is
this little blue arrow, which (hopefully) appears to tell you which folder
you are dropping on, but the precision is so poor because it doesn't really
point to the folder that on more than one occasional I've put the files in
the wrong folder. And then guess what happens: Yep! I've got to wait for
the bloody "Calculation time..." message to go away before I can even begin
to fix the problem, which of course it has to Calculate all over again.

I'm trying to stick with Vista but for my last assignment, where I shot as
much as 20GB of RAW photos in day three days and I had to prepare a
compilation at the end of the event, I put the XP hard drive back in my
laptop after three wasted hours on the first day because I just couldn't
stand the frustration of managing files in Vista.

I'll post again in another 15 days until this is fixed...

bazad

Re: File Managent is making me dislike Vista
I guess that for those things you can try using somehting as simple as
2xExplorer. I use it when I need a old fashioned search in files, copy,
mirrowed browsing and quick file views. It is a freeware.

"just bob" <kilbyfan-aol@net.com> wrote in message
> It's been about 18 days since I've complained about this so here I go
> again with a similar but different explanation:
>
> The one thing that really bothers me, which really makes Vista unusable
> for my production work the file management, and this "Calculating Time
> Remaining" when you try to copy or move files.
>
> My problem is, when I drag and drop to move a folder of 20GB of photos to
> a different subfolder on my C drive of my Dell D820 laptop running Vista
> Ultimate, there is a dialog box which says "Calculating time remaining".
> And it stays there for a LONG time.
>
> When I try moving around folders of an even larger size, forget it. Send
> everyone on a break because we're not getting any work done for a while.
>
> The other thing is the visual you get when you drag and drop folders.
>
> I'm used to the XP Explorer when you can drag a folder from the right pane
> and drop it on a folder in the left pane. While this still works, the
> animated icon covers up the folders you are trying to drop on. Now, there
> is this little blue arrow, which (hopefully) appears to tell you which
> folder you are dropping on, but the precision is so poor because it
> doesn't really point to the folder that on more than one occasional I've
> put the files in the wrong folder. And then guess what happens: Yep!
> I've got to wait for the bloody "Calculation time..." message to go away
> before I can even begin to fix the problem, which of course it has to
> Calculate all over again.
>
> I'm trying to stick with Vista but for my last assignment, where I shot as
> much as 20GB of RAW photos in day three days and I had to prepare a
> compilation at the end of the event, I put the XP hard drive back in my
> laptop after three wasted hours on the first day because I just couldn't
> stand the frustration of managing files in Vista.
>
> I'll post again in another 15 days until this is fixed...

Per

Re: File Managent is making me dislike Vista
> The one thing that really bothers me, which really makes Vista unusable
> for my production work the file management, and this "Calculating Time
> Remaining" when you try to copy or move files.

I agree! It seems like the whole calculating thing takes almost as long as
the actual file copy! Also I can't seem to get rid of that lame "Favorite
links" section in the top left side of explorer. That is useless and just
takes up space. The explorer in XP was much better and easier to use.

Try FreeCommander and see if you like it. It works fine in Vista
http://www.freecommander.com/index_en.htm

Kerry Brown

Re: File Managent is making me dislike Vista
Actually while it is calculating it is also copying. This can be confirmed
by watching the destination in another explorer window and hitting F5 to
update once in a while. You'll see the file size growing.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> skrev i meddelelsen
> Actually while it is calculating it is also copying. This can be confirmed
> by watching the destination in another explorer window and hitting F5 to
> update once in a while. You'll see the file size growing.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Ok, so you are saying that file copy does NOT take any longer than i XP?

DevilsPGD

Re: File Managent is making me dislike Vista
In message <#rCW9FVbHHA.4552@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl> "Kerry Brown"
<kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:

>Actually while it is calculating it is also copying. This can be confirmed
>by watching the destination in another explorer window and hitting F5 to
>update once in a while. You'll see the file size growing.

Sometimes, but not always -- Monitoring network traffic can confirm that
it's not consistent.
--
Insert something clever here.
Kerry Brown

Re: File Managent is making me dislike Vista
No, I didn't say that. I said while it is calculating it is also copying. It
does seem to take longer sometimes. Why, I don't know.

--

> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> skrev i meddelelsen
>> Actually while it is calculating it is also copying. This can be
>> confirmed by watching the destination in another explorer window and
>> hitting F5 to update once in a while. You'll see the file size growing.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>>

> Ok, so you are saying that file copy does NOT take any longer than i XP?

Kerry Brown

Re: File Managent is making me dislike Vista
It confirms there's enough room at the new location before it starts
copying. Once this is done the copy starts as far as I know. This may make
it seem inconsistent depending on how long large the file is and how
responsive the destination is.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User