no 'undo' for deleted files on USB!

=?Utf-8?B?U2FtdWVs?=

no 'undo' for deleted files on USB!
why can files not be retrieved via edit undo or the recycle bin when they are
deleted from USB, is there a setting to change this?
Myweb

Re: no 'undo' for deleted files on USB!
Hello Samuel,

Because they wan't be moved to the recycle bin. The will be deleted directly.
In the recycle bin you only find files/folders if you delete them from the
machine desktop itself. Everything else, e.g. network mapping will be deleted
directly. If you have recovery software you maybe can restore it.

Best regards

Myweb
no rights.

> why can files not be retrieved via edit undo or the recycle bin when
> they are deleted from USB, is there a setting to change this?

just bob

"Myweb" <meiweb@gmx.de> wrote in message
news:ff16fb66169c98c93ae4402582e0@msnews.microsoft .com...
> Hello Samuel,
>
> Because they wan't be moved to the recycle bin. The will be deleted
> directly. In the recycle bin you only find files/folders if you delete
> them from the machine desktop itself. Everything else, e.g. network
> mapping will be deleted directly. If you have recovery software you maybe
> can restore it.

Strange. I could see if the path was UNC, but this is a hard drive letter,
to the OS it should look like a directly attached disk drive (it is,
actually). That just wrong.

Myweb

Re: no 'undo' for deleted files on USB!
Hello just,

It was the same with 98, nt4, 2000 and xp.

Best regards

Myweb
no rights.

> "Myweb" <meiweb@gmx.de> wrote in message
> news:ff16fb66169c98c93ae4402582e0@msnews.microsoft .com...
>
>> Hello Samuel,
>>
>> Because they wan't be moved to the recycle bin. The will be deleted
>> directly. In the recycle bin you only find files/folders if you
>> delete them from the machine desktop itself. Everything else, e.g.
>> network mapping will be deleted directly. If you have recovery
>> software you maybe can restore it.
>>

> Strange. I could see if the path was UNC, but this is a hard drive
> letter, to the OS it should look like a directly attached disk drive
> (it is, actually). That just wrong.

just bob

Re: no 'undo' for deleted files on USB!
Works OK on XP for me.

1. I plugged up a Maxtor external drive to my XP laptop

2. On the external dive I created a text file full of gibberish called
textexteranlbackup.txt

3. I deleted the file from the external hard drive.

4. Opened Recycle Bin from my Desktop

5. Found file, click restore.

6. Found file was restored to external drive.

Now I'll go test in on Vista.

I delete the file.
news:ff16fb6616a018c93ae6b1835a50@msnews.microsoft .com...

"Samuel" <Samuel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> why can files not be retrieved via edit undo or the recycle bin when they
> are
> deleted from USB, is there a setting to change this?

It works OK for me. Did you delete the file using the windows shell or
command prompt?

When I connected a 250GB Maxtor to my VistaU machine and right-click to
delete file it prompts me to ask if I'm sure I want to move the file to the
Recycle bin (or words to that affect).

After the delete, the file is in my recycle bin.

After an attempted restore from the recycle bin, UAC asks me if I'm sure I
want to move the file from the recycle bin.

I say yes and the file is restored.

So... it works OK on my machine.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: no 'undo' for deleted files on USB!
Samuel just mentioned USB, he did not say whether it was a USB HD or a USB
flash drive? If it's a flash drive, the files will not go to the RB.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"just bob" <kilbyfan-aol@net.com> wrote in message
> Works OK on XP for me.
>
> 1. I plugged up a Maxtor external drive to my XP laptop
>
> 2. On the external dive I created a text file full of gibberish called
> textexteranlbackup.txt
>
> 3. I deleted the file from the external hard drive.
>
> 4. Opened Recycle Bin from my Desktop
>
> 5. Found file, click restore.
>
> 6. Found file was restored to external drive.
>
> Now I'll go test in on Vista.
>

> I delete the file.
> "Myweb" <meiweb@gmx.de> wrote in message
> news:ff16fb6616a018c93ae6b1835a50@msnews.microsoft .com...
>> Hello just,
>>
>> It was the same with 98, nt4, 2000 and xp.
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Myweb
>> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
>> confers no rights.
>>
>>> "Myweb" <meiweb@gmx.de> wrote in message
>>> news:ff16fb66169c98c93ae4402582e0@msnews.microsoft .com...

>>> Strange. I could see if the path was UNC, but this is a hard drive
>>> letter, to the OS it should look like a directly attached disk drive
>>> (it is, actually). That just wrong.

just bob

Re: no 'undo' for deleted files on USB!
Ohhhh. OK, I just tested it on XP and it recycles but not on Vista.

Another addition to the list of file management issues with Vista.

This groups is going to be very popular!

> Samuel just mentioned USB, he did not say whether it was a USB HD or a USB
> flash drive? If it's a flash drive, the files will not go to the RB.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "just bob" <kilbyfan-aol@net.com> wrote in message
>> Works OK on XP for me.
>>
>> 1. I plugged up a Maxtor external drive to my XP laptop
>>
>> 2. On the external dive I created a text file full of gibberish called
>> textexteranlbackup.txt
>>
>> 3. I deleted the file from the external hard drive.
>>
>> 4. Opened Recycle Bin from my Desktop
>>
>> 5. Found file, click restore.
>>
>> 6. Found file was restored to external drive.
>>
>> Now I'll go test in on Vista.
>>

>> I delete the file.
>> "Myweb" <meiweb@gmx.de> wrote in message
>> news:ff16fb6616a018c93ae6b1835a50@msnews.microsoft .com...
>>> Hello just,
>>>
>>> It was the same with 98, nt4, 2000 and xp.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>>
>>> Myweb
>>> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
>>> confers no rights.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: no 'undo' for deleted files on USB!
If you mean deleting a file from a flash drive recycles on XP, this is
incorrect. XP does not store deletions from a flash drive in the recycle
bin, they are permanently deleted.

> If you mean deleting a file from a flash drive recycles on XP, this is
> incorrect. XP does not store deletions from a flash drive in the recycle
> bin, they are permanently deleted.

It works for me. You want to connect to my XP machine and see? I tested
this with a Memorex "Traveldrive" 1GB USB flash (aka thumb) drive on my
WidnowsXP SP2 Dell Latitude D800 and I can restore files from the Recycle
bin

As I stated in my previous post, when I delete a file from the USB drive on
XP it asks me if I want to send it to the recycle bin. I can, and I can then
restore it from the Recycle bin, too.

On my Dell D820 runnign VistaU, it does not say it goes to Recycle, it warns
me the file will be permanentyly deleted, and when I do it is gone and it is
not coming back (without some 3rd party tool).

This is new for Vista, as far as I can tell.

-Bob