Lost Hibernation Function

=?Utf-8?B?c21pdHR5MjY3QGhvdG1haWwuY29t?=

Lost Hibernation Function
Hi All,
I have all other functions i.e. Restart,sleep,shutdown, listed in the menu,
but hibernation is missing. It was there a week ago but it seems to have
disappeared from the list of options. OS is vista premium. Any help on
finding it is very much appreciated. Thanks

smitty
John Gallagher

Re: Lost Hibernation Function
See
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...4dc111033.mspx
for details on sleep isues. As stated there, you may have hybrid sleep
available now. In that case, hibernate would not be available.

BTW, the above site provides great answers on topics like this.

John G.

"smitty267@hotmail.com" <smitty267@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com >
wrote in message news:A9876D7F-4E2F-4E19-8CD3-8CE892C5C31A@microsoft.com...
> Hi All,
> I have all other functions i.e. Restart,sleep,shutdown, listed in the
> menu,
> but hibernation is missing. It was there a week ago but it seems to have
> disappeared from the list of options. OS is vista premium. Any help on
> finding it is very much appreciated. Thanks
>
> smitty

dean-dean

Re: Lost Hibernation Function
If you once had the hibernate option, and now it's gone, you may have used
Disk Cleanup to remove the hiberfil.sys file, thereby removing the option
for hibernate in Power Options. If this is the case, it won't show up on
your Start Menu.

To restore the Hibernate option, open Command Prompt, by right-click on it
and choosing Run as Administrator. Type

powercfg /hibernate on

and push Enter on your keyboard.

"smitty267@hotmail.com" <smitty267@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com >
wrote in message news:A9876D7F-4E2F-4E19-8CD3-8CE892C5C31A@microsoft.com...
> Hi All,
> I have all other functions i.e. Restart,sleep,shutdown, listed in the
> menu,
> but hibernation is missing. It was there a week ago but it seems to have
> disappeared from the list of options. OS is vista premium. Any help on
> finding it is very much appreciated. Thanks
>
> smitty

=?Utf-8?B?c21pdHR5MjY3QGhvdG1haWwuY29t?=

Re: Lost Hibernation Function
Thanks dean.
I think I may have removed the file. I'm new to vista. How do I get to the
command prompt? Apologize for my ignorance. Thanks again

"dean-dean" wrote:

> If you once had the hibernate option, and now it's gone, you may have used
> Disk Cleanup to remove the hiberfil.sys file, thereby removing the option
> for hibernate in Power Options. If this is the case, it won't show up on
> your Start Menu.
>
> To restore the Hibernate option, open Command Prompt, by right-click on it
> and choosing Run as Administrator. Type
>
> powercfg /hibernate on
>
> and push Enter on your keyboard.
>

> "smitty267@hotmail.com" <smitty267@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com >
> wrote in message news:A9876D7F-4E2F-4E19-8CD3-8CE892C5C31A@microsoft.com...
> > Hi All,
> > I have all other functions i.e. Restart,sleep,shutdown, listed in the
> > menu,
> > but hibernation is missing. It was there a week ago but it seems to have
> > disappeared from the list of options. OS is vista premium. Any help on
> > finding it is very much appreciated. Thanks
> >
> > smitty

=?Utf-8?B?c21pdHR5MjY3QGhvdG1haWwuY29t?=

Re: Lost Hibernation Function
thanks

"John Gallagher" wrote:

> See
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...4dc111033.mspx
> for details on sleep isues. As stated there, you may have hybrid sleep
> available now. In that case, hibernate would not be available.
>
> BTW, the above site provides great answers on topics like this.
>
> John G.
>
> "smitty267@hotmail.com" <smitty267@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com >
> wrote in message news:A9876D7F-4E2F-4E19-8CD3-8CE892C5C31A@microsoft.com...
> > Hi All,
> > I have all other functions i.e. Restart,sleep,shutdown, listed in the
> > menu,
> > but hibernation is missing. It was there a week ago but it seems to have
> > disappeared from the list of options. OS is vista premium. Any help on
> > finding it is very much appreciated. Thanks
> >
> > smitty

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Lost Hibernation Function
Complete details are provided in this article.

The hybrid sleep feature and the hibernation feature in Windows Vista may become unavailable after you use the Disk Cleanup Tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928897

Pls note that you'll need to open an "elevated" command prompt using the "Run as administrator", as mentioned in that article.

--
Regards,

"dean-dean" wrote:

> If you once had the hibernate option, and now it's gone, you may have used
> Disk Cleanup to remove the hiberfil.sys file, thereby removing the option
> for hibernate in Power Options. If this is the case, it won't show up on
> your Start Menu.
>
> To restore the Hibernate option, open Command Prompt, by right-click on it
> and choosing Run as Administrator. Type
>
> powercfg /hibernate on
>
> and push Enter on your keyboard.
>

> "smitty267@hotmail.com" <smitty267@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com >
> wrote in message news:A9876D7F-4E2F-4E19-8CD3-8CE892C5C31A@microsoft.com...
> > Hi All,
> > I have all other functions i.e. Restart,sleep,shutdown, listed in the
> > menu,
> > but hibernation is missing. It was there a week ago but it seems to have
> > disappeared from the list of options. OS is vista premium. Any help on
> > finding it is very much appreciated. Thanks
> >
> > smitty

dean-dean

Re: Lost Hibernation Function
The short cut will be here:

Start Menu>Programs>Accessories

Or you could just type Command in the Start Search box of the Start Menu.
Remember to right-click and choose "Run as Administrator". Good luck!

"smitty267@hotmail.com" <smitty267hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:54D17046-E5E1-49F1-8D78-A976DC26699D@microsoft.com...

> Thanks dean.
> I think I may have removed the file. I'm new to vista. How do I get to
> the
> command prompt? Apologize for my ignorance. Thanks again
>

> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> If you once had the hibernate option, and now it's gone, you may have
>> used
>> Disk Cleanup to remove the hiberfil.sys file, thereby removing the option
>> for hibernate in Power Options. If this is the case, it won't show up on
>> your Start Menu.
>>
>> To restore the Hibernate option, open Command Prompt, by right-click on
>> it
>> and choosing Run as Administrator. Type
>>
>> powercfg /hibernate on
>>
>> and push Enter on your keyboard.
>>

>> "smitty267@hotmail.com" <smitty267@hotmail.com@discussions.microsoft.com >
>> wrote in message
>> > Hi All,
>> > I have all other functions i.e. Restart,sleep,shutdown, listed in the
>> > menu,
>> > but hibernation is missing. It was there a week ago but it seems to
>> > have
>> > disappeared from the list of options. OS is vista premium. Any help on
>> > finding it is very much appreciated. Thanks
>> >
>> > smitty

=?Utf-8?B?c21pdHR5MjY3QGhvdG1haWwuY29t?=

Re: Lost Hibernation Function
Thanks a lot dean-dean it worked!! You rock!
Cheers smitty