Opening folders in it's own window?

=?Utf-8?B?RmluYmFycg==?=

Opening folders in it's own window?
I can't get folders to open in their own window. I've been into folder
options and set it for this but with no effect.

I'm using Vista home premium

Anyone got any ideas ?
just bob

Re: Opening folders in it's own window?

"Finbarr" <Finbarr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't get folders to open in their own window. I've been into folder
> options and set it for this but with no effect.
>
> I'm using Vista home premium
>
> Anyone got any ideas ?

No ideas. But to explain further if I may...

If I create a folder on my desktop called TEST, and then right-click and
choose Open, the view looks exactly the same as if I right-click and instead
chose Explore.

I agree: Something is wrong!

dean-dean

Re: Opening folders in it's own window?
Does holding down the CTRL key, and then clicking on a folder to open it,
open a new window?

"Finbarr" <Finbarr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't get folders to open in their own window. I've been into folder
> options and set it for this but with no effect.
>
> I'm using Vista home premium
>
> Anyone got any ideas ?

GTS

Re: Opening folders in it's own window?
The default action for a double click is Explore rather than Open as it was
in XP. The 'Open in own window' items in Folder Options are just ignored.
Others are frustrated with this problem too, but so far there doesn't seem
to be any solution.

"Finbarr" <Finbarr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't get folders to open in their own window. I've been into folder
> options and set it for this but with no effect.
>
> I'm using Vista home premium
>
> Anyone got any ideas ?

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Opening folders in it's own window?
Looks like it's dependent on whether or not the Folder tree is displayed in
the Navigation pane. With the Navigation pane removed from Layout, or with
the Folder tree collapsed to the bottom so that Favorite Links fills the
pane, it works as expected.

At least that's what I'm seeing right now.... :-)

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"GTS" <x@y.net> wrote in message
> The default action for a double click is Explore rather than Open as it
> was in XP. The 'Open in own window' items in Folder Options are just
> ignored. Others are frustrated with this problem too, but so far there
> doesn't seem to be any solution.
>
> "Finbarr" <Finbarr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I can't get folders to open in their own window. I've been into folder
>> options and set it for this but with no effect.
>>
>> I'm using Vista home premium
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas ?

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Opening folders in it's own window?
Looks like it's dependent on whether or not the Folder tree is displayed in
the Navigation pane. With the Navigation pane removed from Layout, or with
the Folder tree collapsed to the bottom so that Favorite Links fills the
pane, it works as expected.

At least that's what I'm seeing right now.... :-)

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Finbarr" <Finbarr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't get folders to open in their own window. I've been into folder
> options and set it for this but with no effect.
>
> I'm using Vista home premium
>
> Anyone got any ideas ?

GTS

Re: Opening folders in it's own window?
That's an interesting find - Thanks for the info. It helps somewhat.
I was just browsing the Vista help file on this issue. It's misleading and
inaccurate in a number of respects. It seems like there probably was an
intention to support the own window option similarly to XP, but that the
implementation was botched.

"Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> Looks like it's dependent on whether or not the Folder tree is displayed
> in the Navigation pane. With the Navigation pane removed from Layout, or
> with the Folder tree collapsed to the bottom so that Favorite Links fills
> the pane, it works as expected.
>
> At least that's what I'm seeing right now.... :-)
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "GTS" <x@y.net> wrote in message
>> The default action for a double click is Explore rather than Open as it
>> was in XP. The 'Open in own window' items in Folder Options are just
>> ignored. Others are frustrated with this problem too, but so far there
>> doesn't seem to be any solution.
>>
>> "Finbarr" <Finbarr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I can't get folders to open in their own window. I've been into folder
>>> options and set it for this but with no effect.
>>>
>>> I'm using Vista home premium
>>>
>>> Anyone got any ideas ?

dean-dean

Re: Opening folders in it's own window?
Explore and Open will only make sense, it seems, if you close the Navigation
pane in Explorer (on the taskbar, go to Organize > Layout > Navigation
Pane).

After, closing the pane, and the folder you used to make the change,
if you right-click the TEST folder and Open it, it will only show the main
window. If you Explore TEST, the window will also have the navigation pane.

"just bob" <kilbyfan-aol@net.com> wrote in message

> "Finbarr" <Finbarr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I can't get folders to open in their own window. I've been into folder
>> options and set it for this but with no effect.
>>
>> I'm using Vista home premium
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas ?

> No ideas. But to explain further if I may...
>
> If I create a folder on my desktop called TEST, and then right-click and
> choose Open, the view looks exactly the same as if I right-click and
> instead chose Explore.
>
> I agree: Something is wrong!

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Opening folders in it's own window?
dean-dean

That's good information.

I have a shortcut to WE that is pinned on the Start Menu to open WE with all
drives showing and the Navigation Pane open. (%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
/e, in the Properties/Target line)

I find that if I open WE with this shortcut, close the Navigation pane and
exit, that the Open/Explore right click options wore properly with a test
folder on the Desktop. The next time I use the start menu shortcut to open
WE, the Navigation Pane is back and the right click options still work
properly.

This sticks even through a reboot.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Explore and Open will only make sense, it seems, if you close the
> Navigation
> pane in Explorer (on the taskbar, go to Organize > Layout > Navigation
> Pane).
>
> After, closing the pane, and the folder you used to make the change,
> if you right-click the TEST folder and Open it, it will only show the main
> window. If you Explore TEST, the window will also have the navigation
> pane.
>

> "just bob" <kilbyfan-aol@net.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Finbarr" <Finbarr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I can't get folders to open in their own window. I've been into folder
>>> options and set it for this but with no effect.
>>>
>>> I'm using Vista home premium
>>>
>>> Anyone got any ideas ?

>> No ideas. But to explain further if I may...
>>
>> If I create a folder on my desktop called TEST, and then right-click and
>> choose Open, the view looks exactly the same as if I right-click and
>> instead chose Explore.
>>
>> I agree: Something is wrong!

=?Utf-8?B?RmluYmFycg==?=

Re: Opening folders in it's own window?
Thanks people, that works perfectly. The only minor irritant so far in an
otherwise good system