Unable to select multiple files in explorer

=?Utf-8?B?S2lyayBCLg==?=

Unable to select multiple files in explorer
I'm unable to select multiple files in explorer. The clicking methods with
the shift key and ctrl key do not work. ctrl-a does not work.
Organize-->Select All is grayed out.

The solutions found on in numerous threads relating to the registry keys for
Bags and Streams failed to fix this problem.

Also, this appears for all accounts on my computer.

Is there a fix for this problem?
Keith Miller MVP

Re: Unable to select multiple files in explorer
Had you used the 'Apply to Folders' button found on the 'View' tab of the
Folder Properties dialog?

Here's a link to a script I've written that is designed to fix both the
'Bag' keys and the 'Streams\Default' key, which holds the settings for
template defaults. Right-click the link & select 'Save Target As...' You
can then extract the script file from the zip folder and run the script.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res18hr7/FixSingleSelect.zip

You can give it a try, though both of these keys are under HKCU. From what
you say, that all users are affected, it sounds like there might be a
problem under HKLM. You never created a custom default user profile, did
you?

If the script doesn't work for you, I'd really like to work with you via
e-mail to get a look at some registry exports from your machine as well as
gather more info regarding Vista version, OEM or self-install, installed
software, etc. No one seems to yet know what's causing this behavior to
appear.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Kirk B." <KirkB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm unable to select multiple files in explorer. The clicking methods
> with
> the shift key and ctrl key do not work. ctrl-a does not work.
> Organize-->Select All is grayed out.
>
> The solutions found on in numerous threads relating to the registry keys
> for
> Bags and Streams failed to fix this problem.
>
> Also, this appears for all accounts on my computer.
>
> Is there a fix for this problem?

=?Utf-8?B?S2lyayBCLg==?=

Re: Unable to select multiple files in explorer
I saw your script and tried it. It didn't fix the problem. No custom
default profiles.

It is OEM through Dell.

You can reach me at kdborg over on gmail.com.

Kirk B.

"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

> Had you used the 'Apply to Folders' button found on the 'View' tab of the
> Folder Properties dialog?
>
> Here's a link to a script I've written that is designed to fix both the
> 'Bag' keys and the 'Streams\Default' key, which holds the settings for
> template defaults. Right-click the link & select 'Save Target As...' You
> can then extract the script file from the zip folder and run the script.
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res18hr7/FixSingleSelect.zip
>
> You can give it a try, though both of these keys are under HKCU. From what
> you say, that all users are affected, it sounds like there might be a
> problem under HKLM. You never created a custom default user profile, did
> you?
>
> If the script doesn't work for you, I'd really like to work with you via
> e-mail to get a look at some registry exports from your machine as well as
> gather more info regarding Vista version, OEM or self-install, installed
> software, etc. No one seems to yet know what's causing this behavior to
> appear.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "Kirk B." <KirkB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm unable to select multiple files in explorer. The clicking methods
> > with
> > the shift key and ctrl key do not work. ctrl-a does not work.
> > Organize-->Select All is grayed out.
> >
> > The solutions found on in numerous threads relating to the registry keys
> > for
> > Bags and Streams failed to fix this problem.
> >
> > Also, this appears for all accounts on my computer.
> >
> > Is there a fix for this problem?

=?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGggQw==?=

RE: Unable to select multiple files in explorer
If you go to Folder Options/View/Advanced Settings in Explorer, have you
checked "use check boxes to select items"? This worked for me: a check box
column appears on the left hand side of your file listing - just check all
the files you want to select.

"Kirk B." wrote:

> I'm unable to select multiple files in explorer. The clicking methods with
> the shift key and ctrl key do not work. ctrl-a does not work.
> Organize-->Select All is grayed out.
>
> The solutions found on in numerous threads relating to the registry keys for
> Bags and Streams failed to fix this problem.
>
> Also, this appears for all accounts on my computer.
>
> Is there a fix for this problem?

=?Utf-8?B?S0Zsb3lkZQ==?=

RE: Unable to select multiple files in explorer
I just found a solution that finally worked for me... and it was almost too
easy! In Explorer, go to Tools > Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Click the Reset Folders button. That's all it took for me to now be able to
select multiple files with my SHIFT and CTRL keys, just like the good old
(pre-Vista) days.

Life is good again...
Kim.

Xiaoyang

Re: Unable to select multiple files in explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934548/en-us

On a Windows Vista-based computer, you cannot use keyboard shortcuts
to select more than one item in Windows Explorer

View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 934548
Last Review : April 24, 2007
Revision : 1.0

SYMPTOMS
On a Windows Vista-based computer, you cannot use keyboard shortcuts
to select more than one item in Windows Explorer. For example, you
cannot use the CTRL+A keyboard shortcut to select all the items in a
Windows Explorer window. Also, you cannot select multiple items in a
Windows Explorer window by holding the SHIFT key or the CTRL key while
you click the items.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, use the Reset Folders command. To use the Reset
Folders command, follow these steps:
1. In the Windows Explorer window where this issue occurs, click
Organize, and then click Folder and Search Options.
2. On the View tab, click Reset Folders.