Weird CHKDSK Problem

John Gallagher

Weird CHKDSK Problem
I am running into a wierd Chkdsk problem with Vista (Ultimate x86). Of
course a Chkdsk requires a check at boot if you want to correct errors. At
times when I do this, the system comes up, shows the scheduled Chkdsk and
then immediately says it is cancelled. This is without me touching the
keyboard or mouse.

I have never seen this before and it prevents a Chkdsk each time. Has anyone
seen anything like this - and even better - know how to fix it?

Thanks.

John G.

Peter

Re: Weird CHKDSK Problem
You aren't trying to do it on an external drive by any chance are you?
Because it wont work.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

"John Gallagher" <jgallagher11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am running into a wierd Chkdsk problem with Vista (Ultimate x86). Of
>course a Chkdsk requires a check at boot if you want to correct errors. At
>times when I do this, the system comes up, shows the scheduled Chkdsk and
>then immediately says it is cancelled. This is without me touching the
>keyboard or mouse.
>
> I have never seen this before and it prevents a Chkdsk each time. Has
> anyone seen anything like this - and even better - know how to fix it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> John G.

John Gallagher

Re: Weird CHKDSK Problem
Nope. It is my main system drive (C.

John G.

"Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
> You aren't trying to do it on an external drive by any chance are you?
> Because it wont work.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate fully updated
> P4 D865GBFL HT @ 3.0ghz 4.0gb DDR 700gb HD
> Sapphire Radeon X1650 Pro Graphics
> Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 Audio
>
> "John Gallagher" <jgallagher11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am running into a wierd Chkdsk problem with Vista (Ultimate x86). Of
>>course a Chkdsk requires a check at boot if you want to correct errors. At
>>times when I do this, the system comes up, shows the scheduled Chkdsk and
>>then immediately says it is cancelled. This is without me touching the
>>keyboard or mouse.
>>
>> I have never seen this before and it prevents a Chkdsk each time. Has
>> anyone seen anything like this - and even better - know how to fix it?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> John G.

Richard Urban

Re: Weird CHKDSK Problem
Run the Command Prompt as Administrator (elevated privileges). Then type in
your chkdsk command string.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"John Gallagher" <jgallagher11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am running into a wierd Chkdsk problem with Vista (Ultimate x86). Of
>course a Chkdsk requires a check at boot if you want to correct errors. At
>times when I do this, the system comes up, shows the scheduled Chkdsk and
>then immediately says it is cancelled. This is without me touching the
>keyboard or mouse.
>
> I have never seen this before and it prevents a Chkdsk each time. Has
> anyone seen anything like this - and even better - know how to fix it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> John G.

John Gallagher

Re: Weird CHKDSK Problem
Why would this change anything?

I know a chkdsk of drive C: allowing for repairs requires it to be done at
boot ragrdless of how it is run. What I do not understand is why it would
immediately be cancelled without my request during boot time, i.e. it starts
running and then immediately says it was canceled.

Note that tis does not happen all the time. It is just peculiar that it
happens at all.

John G.

> Run the Command Prompt as Administrator (elevated privileges). Then type
> in your chkdsk command string.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban MVP
> Microsoft Windows Shell/User
>

> "John Gallagher" <jgallagher11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am running into a wierd Chkdsk problem with Vista (Ultimate x86). Of
>>course a Chkdsk requires a check at boot if you want to correct errors. At
>>times when I do this, the system comes up, shows the scheduled Chkdsk and
>>then immediately says it is cancelled. This is without me touching the
>>keyboard or mouse.
>>
>> I have never seen this before and it prevents a Chkdsk each time. Has
>> anyone seen anything like this - and even better - know how to fix it?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> John G.

Richard Urban

Re: Weird CHKDSK Problem
You didn't say it was cancelled during boot time. I guess that is what you
meant when you said "when the system comes up". I never would have known.

I never have problems when I initiate a "chkdsk c: /f" from an elevated
command prompt.

You may want to try it this way.