Can't modify a folder I created myself

Daniel Noll

Can't modify a folder I created myself
I have a folder I copied from another computer, which contains a bunch of
stuff.

The problem is I'd now like to move some of the stuff out of that folder and
into the proper locations, but Vista won't let me -- even as Administrator?

This is what happens:
1. Try to rename a folder.
2. Dialog box: "You need to confirm this operation". I say "Continue",
and then "Continue" again.
3. Dialog box: "You need permission to perform this action", I say "Try
again".
4. Repeat from step 3

Properties on the folder show that the read-only checkbox has the blue
filled box icon, but when I uncheck it, it doesn't actually change state.

The Security tab lists three ACLs, all of which are inherited from parent
folders:
SYSTEM -- Full control
Daniel (Monolith\Daniel) -- Full control
Administrators -- Full control

The only checkbox in the Security tab which isn't checked is "Special
permissions".

At this rate the folder will be here until the computer is reformatted (I'd
like to say that hopefully it will be reinstalled with a better OS, but this
is probably the wrong newsgroup in which to say it. Whoops, too late.)

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

Nuix Pty Ltd
Suite 79, 89 Jones St, Ultimo NSW 2007, Australia Ph: +61 2 9280 0699
Web: http://nuix.com/ Fax: +61 2 9212 6902

Jimmy Brush

Re: Can't modify a folder I created myself
Hello,

Sometimes the security tab is deceptively simplified.

Can you to this:

- Open an administrative command prompt (right-click command prompt, click
run as administrator)
- Browse to the location where the folder is located
- Issue this command:

icacls foldername

- Report back the output

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

=?Utf-8?B?Q29yeQ==?=

Re: Can't modify a folder I created myself
Hi, I am having this same problem. Before I installed Vista, I copied some
of my folders to my secondary partition. I copied them back to the main
drive after installing Vista and now find out that I cannot rename the folder
or delete it. I set myself as the owner and gave myself full permissions (it
changed the ownership/permissions of all subobjects as well), but it still
will not cooperate and continues to tell me I do not have permission to
perform the action.

This is the output I receive from the command you requested:

C:\>icacls programs
programs visual-dev\cburkOI)(CI)(F)
BUILTIN\AdministratorsI)(F)
BUILTIN\AdministratorsI)(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMI)(F)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMI)(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
BUILTIN\UsersI)(OI)(CI)(RX)
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated UsersI)(M)
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated UsersI)(OI)(CI)(IO)(M)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files