Search Function flaws?

=?Utf-8?B?c2hlcmxvY2s=?=

Search Function flaws?
I am writer and I have been happily using the Search function in Windows XP
to find every instance of say the name "Jacob Riis" in my hundreds of WORD
2002 documents. For instance, I do the search on my old XP machine and get 71
hits (great for building the character). I do the search over the same files
on VISTA and I get 10 hits. I have tried the little search box, the Advanced
search. I have said to include non-indexed. I have included Text in the file.
I have indexed the directory, I have rebuilt the index. I have checked the
Attributes for the Word files, and they allow archiving and indexing.

Is there any help or a fix for this?

Thanks, author of "History Laid Bare", etc.
dean-dean

Re: Search Function flaws?
You may have already been down this road, but there's the "Search" tab when
you click on Control Panel (Classic View) > Folder Options, which has What,
How, and When search options.

"sherlock" <sherlock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsE9CD8CE-DEA1-4B93-8C43-009837B81B95@microsoft.com...
>I am writer and I have been happily using the Search function in Windows XP
> to find every instance of say the name "Jacob Riis" in my hundreds of WORD
> 2002 documents. For instance, I do the search on my old XP machine and get
> 71
> hits (great for building the character). I do the search over the same
> files
> on VISTA and I get 10 hits. I have tried the little search box, the
> search. I have said to include non-indexed. I have included Text in the
> file.
> I have indexed the directory, I have rebuilt the index. I have checked the
> Attributes for the Word files, and they allow archiving and indexing.
>
> Is there any help or a fix for this?
>
> Thanks, author of "History Laid Bare", etc.

=?Utf-8?B?c2hlcmxvY2s=?=

Re: Search Function flaws?
thanks for the tip but it turns out that the index just needed more time...
now it works fine on day five of owning the computer. it did not work before.

My new headache is that the D/Recovery drive says it has used up its 6 GB (C
has 320GB) and I have never filled D with anything on purpose. Very annoying
that an automatic Vista function could cause me to have to do drive
maintenance on day five. I compressed D and that has given me 250MB free but
I assume it will happen again.

"dean-dean" wrote:

> You may have already been down this road, but there's the "Search" tab when
> you click on Control Panel (Classic View) > Folder Options, which has What,
> How, and When search options.
>

> "sherlock" <sherlock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsE9CD8CE-DEA1-4B93-8C43-009837B81B95@microsoft.com...
> >I am writer and I have been happily using the Search function in Windows XP
> > to find every instance of say the name "Jacob Riis" in my hundreds of WORD
> > 2002 documents. For instance, I do the search on my old XP machine and get
> > 71
> > hits (great for building the character). I do the search over the same
> > files
> > on VISTA and I get 10 hits. I have tried the little search box, the
> > search. I have said to include non-indexed. I have included Text in the
> > file.
> > I have indexed the directory, I have rebuilt the index. I have checked the
> > Attributes for the Word files, and they allow archiving and indexing.
> >
> > Is there any help or a fix for this?
> >
> > Thanks, author of "History Laid Bare", etc.

dean-dean

Re: Search Function flaws?
Yes, the Indexer has to have had your computer running for a certain amount
of time to complete its initial Index. To know the status of the Index you
can go to Control Panel (Classic View) > Indexing Options, and look at the
top of the window.

Your recovery drive D, I assume, is the OEM drive to restore your Computer
to its original, factory default state, should disaster strike, or some
other need arise. It's not a function of Windows Vista (i.e., Windows
doesn't add to it, or maintain it in any way, except point to it as a fact
of your computer). In other words it's static, and yes, pretty much full (6
GB sounds normal), only containing files to restore your computer, a lot of
them, I daresay, already compressed. Given the size of your hard drive,
more compression isn't necessary; I would probably leave it alone. It may
have a relatively small amount of unused real estate, but yes, Vista will
report it as pretty much full. Don't add to it, or subtract from it; it's
best considered out of bounds.

Vista does maintain a hidden folder on your C drive (called System Volume
Information), for it's own restore functions, and it is not static.