File associations gone haywire

Peter

File associations gone haywire
...and I can't use System restore as I dual boot = no restore available.
File associations for some files have changed to either neromix or
intervideo files and they should be whatever their default is.
For instance: in both XP and Vista same thing. 1st two items in Pinball
folder in Program files/Windows NT - at the top is Font 4kb and Pinball
907kb and they have now been associated as Neromix media files...how I don't
know. The balance of the folder looks normal
I have no idea how to restore this as I don't know what the original file
associations were. Would a repair installation of Windows do it? By the
way I had transferred Pinball over to Vista manually.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

Jane C

Re: File associations gone haywire
Peter, going by the file sizes of those 2 files, they are .dat files.
Font.dat and Pinball.dat. Just checked in my Pinball folder. Windows Shell
Common Dll is the normal file association for dat files, as opposed to an
application that opens them.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
"Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
> ..and I can't use System restore as I dual boot = no restore available.
> File associations for some files have changed to either neromix or
> intervideo files and they should be whatever their default is.
> For instance: in both XP and Vista same thing. 1st two items in Pinball
> folder in Program files/Windows NT - at the top is Font 4kb and Pinball
> 907kb and they have now been associated as Neromix media files...how I
> don't know. The balance of the folder looks normal
> I have no idea how to restore this as I don't know what the original file
> associations were. Would a repair installation of Windows do it? By the
> way I had transferred Pinball over to Vista manually.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate fully updated
> P4 D865GBFL HT @ 3.0ghz 4.0gb DDR 700gb HD
> Sapphire Radeon X1650 Pro Graphics
> Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 Audio

Peter

Re: File associations gone haywire
Thanks very much. Actually, that's what I meant...association rather than
open with...getting my semantics all mixed up.

--

"Jane C" <jellybean@NOSPAMxjgarage.org> wrote in message
> Peter, going by the file sizes of those 2 files, they are .dat files.
> Font.dat and Pinball.dat. Just checked in my Pinball folder. Windows
> Shell Common Dll is the normal file association for dat files, as opposed
> to an application that opens them.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
>> ..and I can't use System restore as I dual boot = no restore available.
>> File associations for some files have changed to either neromix or
>> intervideo files and they should be whatever their default is.
>> For instance: in both XP and Vista same thing. 1st two items in Pinball
>> folder in Program files/Windows NT - at the top is Font 4kb and Pinball
>> 907kb and they have now been associated as Neromix media files...how I
>> don't know. The balance of the folder looks normal
>> I have no idea how to restore this as I don't know what the original file
>> associations were. Would a repair installation of Windows do it? By
>> the way I had transferred Pinball over to Vista manually.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista Ultimate fully updated
>> P4 D865GBFL HT @ 3.0ghz 4.0gb DDR 700gb HD
>> Sapphire Radeon X1650 Pro Graphics
>> Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 Audio

Peter

Re: File associations gone haywire
Can't find that one in the "New" "Advanced" list.