Registering missing .ocx & .dll files

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBN?=

Registering missing .ocx & .dll files
No matter what I do, I cannot succesfully register these files. I have even
downloaded 3rd party "registering programs". I have placed the files in my
system32 folder, and have also tried Run, regsvr32 protocol. Is this because
Vista is not supporting VB 6.0 ? What alternatives do I have? Microsoft,
you really should address this issue.
dean-dean

Re: Registering missing .ocx & .dll files
Did you try running regsvr32 in Command Prompt, by right-clicking on Command
Prompt and choosing "Run as Administrator"?

"Mike M" <Mike M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No matter what I do, I cannot succesfully register these files. I have
> even
> downloaded 3rd party "registering programs". I have placed the files in my
> system32 folder, and have also tried Run, regsvr32 protocol. Is this
> because
> Vista is not supporting VB 6.0 ? What alternatives do I have? Microsoft,
> you really should address this issue.

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBN?=

Re: Registering missing .ocx & .dll files

I just did. There is no such option when I right click.

This is a very odd problem that doesnt make much sense.

Im now getting this message when I try to register -

"The module "c\windows\system\........" was loaded but the call to
DllRegister server failed with error code 0x80004005"

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Did you try running regsvr32 in Command Prompt, by right-clicking on Command
> Prompt and choosing "Run as Administrator"?
>
> "Mike M" <Mike M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No matter what I do, I cannot succesfully register these files. I have
> > even
> > downloaded 3rd party "registering programs". I have placed the files in my
> > system32 folder, and have also tried Run, regsvr32 protocol. Is this
> > because
> > Vista is not supporting VB 6.0 ? What alternatives do I have? Microsoft,
> > you really should address this issue.

dean-dean

Re: Registering missing .ocx & .dll files
In my experience, a number of commands, including regsvr32, will not work
unless cmd.exe is run as administrator. The Command Prompt window will
clearly indicate when it is running with administrative privileges, with
"Administrator: Command Prompt" written in the title bar. All .exe type
files (and the shortcuts pointing to them) should have a tab in the file's
Properties, called "Compatibility", where you can put a check in a box for
"Run this program as an administrator', as well as having the right-click
option I mentioned before. With UAC turned off, I believe cmd.exe, by
default, is run as administrator.

The Dependency Walker tool, http://www.dependencywalker.com/, might help
point to what you're missing if your .dll' and .ocx's are dependent on a
certain runtime, etc.

> I just did. There is no such option when I right click.
>
> This is a very odd problem that doesnt make much sense.
>
> Im now getting this message when I try to register -
>
> "The module "c\windows\system\........" was loaded but the call to
> DllRegister server failed with error code 0x80004005"
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> Did you try running regsvr32 in Command Prompt, by right-clicking on
>> Command
>> Prompt and choosing "Run as Administrator"?
>>
>> "Mike M" <Mike M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > No matter what I do, I cannot succesfully register these files. I have
>> > even
>> > downloaded 3rd party "registering programs". I have placed the files in
>> > my
>> > system32 folder, and have also tried Run, regsvr32 protocol. Is this
>> > because
>> > Vista is not supporting VB 6.0 ? What alternatives do I have?
>> > Microsoft,
>> > you really should address this issue.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Registering missing .ocx & .dll files
Mike

I don't mean to bounce you around, but these newsgroups are primarily
focused on the end user of Microsoft products, although some folks involved
in developement do post here occasionally.

MSDN has a very comprehensive forum where software developers can speak
directly with the developers at Microsoft. These forums cover every aspect
of building software, drivers, etc, for every product that Microsoft
produces. It's likely that the problem you are experiencing has already been
addressed and a solution found.

Go there, select the most appropriate forum and post your question.

MSDN Forums:
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?SiteID=1

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Mike M" <Mike M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No matter what I do, I cannot succesfully register these files. I have
> even
> downloaded 3rd party "registering programs". I have placed the files in my
> system32 folder, and have also tried Run, regsvr32 protocol. Is this
> because
> Vista is not supporting VB 6.0 ? What alternatives do I have? Microsoft,
> you really should address this issue.

=?Utf-8?B?amFyYTg4ODg0?=

Re: Registering missing .ocx & .dll files

I'm one of the end users mentioned, and have a problem registering a .ocx
file. The install program will not register it, I have uninstalled it,
reinstalled it, using the option "run as administrator", and it still will
not do so. The file is installed in system32. I have tried using regsvr32,
but keep getting error of "need binary name", the only name I have is the
file name "pklink.ocx". What is the exact wording to use with regsvr32? Can
someone tell a dummy how to do it?
John

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Mike
>
> I don't mean to bounce you around, but these newsgroups are primarily
> focused on the end user of Microsoft products, although some folks involved
> in developement do post here occasionally.
>
> MSDN has a very comprehensive forum where software developers can speak
> directly with the developers at Microsoft. These forums cover every aspect
> of building software, drivers, etc, for every product that Microsoft
> produces. It's likely that the problem you are experiencing has already been
> addressed and a solution found.
>
> Go there, select the most appropriate forum and post your question.
>
> MSDN Forums:
> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?SiteID=1
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Mike M" <Mike M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No matter what I do, I cannot succesfully register these files. I have
> > even
> > downloaded 3rd party "registering programs". I have placed the files in my
> > system32 folder, and have also tried Run, regsvr32 protocol. Is this
> > because
> > Vista is not supporting VB 6.0 ? What alternatives do I have? Microsoft,
> > you really should address this issue.

Neil Harley

jara88884 wrote:
> I'm one of the end users mentioned, and have a problem registering a
> .ocx file. The install program will not register it, I have
> uninstalled it, reinstalled it, using the option "run as
> administrator", and it still will not do so. The file is installed in
> system32. I have tried using regsvr32, but keep getting error of
> "need binary name", the only name I have is the file name
> "pklink.ocx". What is the exact wording to use with regsvr32? Can
> someone tell a dummy how to do it?
> John

All you need to do to register the OCX is to open a CMD window and type:

regsvr32 pklink.ocx

If that isn't working have you contacted the developer and asked them why
you can't register the OCX? They may know about an issue with this OCX file
being registered.