Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Duplicate Documents Folder inside of Home Folder

microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2007
=?Utf-8?B?VmFsZWsgSGF3a2U=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Duplicate Documents Folder inside of Home Folder
I changed the location of the default Documents folder to a separate HDD. I
accepted the prompt about merging the two locations or whatnot; However, when
I open up my Home folder (C:\Users\Brian) there are two documents folders
displayed. The Shell folder (I believe) which points to the above path, and
the one that was apparently created when I changed the location to D:\ . Can
I hide, or get rid of the folder that is not being used? Will doing so like
recreate the disaster at Cherynobyl only in the Northeast US?

This really is nothing more than a nuisance as I can tell at a glance which
one is which, and the Documents folder in the favorites section points to the
correct location, but I guess it's more of an OCD type thing. In my mind
there should be only ONE Documents folder.

Thank You All So Much for your help...
--
UNTIL it blows up I think I can fix it. IF it blows up I didn''''''''t touch
it!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-19-2007
Keith Miller MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Duplicate Documents Folder inside of Home Folder
If the properties dialog for the folder just has five tabs, its nothing
special & can be deleted.

However, be aware of the normally hidden junctions (i.e. My Documents).
These appear with the shortcut arrow icon overlay but are file system
junctions rather than .lnk files. These exist for compatibility with older
programs & MAY not be needed by the software you run, but it's a good idea
to keep them around. For example: on a fresh install of Vista, The
'C:\Users\Username' folder will contain both the 'Documents' folder & a
junction named 'My Documents' that points to the 'Documents' folder. If you
move the 'Documents' folder via the 'Location' tab in its Properties dialog,
the 'My Documents' link is now broken -- it points to a non-existent folder.
So, after moving the 'Documents' folder, you should open a Command prompt
window to your Username folder & execute the following commands: (assuming
that 'Documents' has been pointed at the folder 'D:\Docs')

rd "My Documents"
mklink /j "My Documents" "D:\Docs"
attrib +h +s "My Documents" /L


--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Valek Hawke" <ValekHawke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:39F7F138-8DC5-4BEA-9F31-60D91C7CA036@microsoft.com...
>I changed the location of the default Documents folder to a separate HDD. I
> accepted the prompt about merging the two locations or whatnot; However,
> when
> I open up my Home folder (C:\Users\Brian) there are two documents folders
> displayed. The Shell folder (I believe) which points to the above path,
> and
> the one that was apparently created when I changed the location to D:\ .
> Can
> I hide, or get rid of the folder that is not being used? Will doing so
> like
> recreate the disaster at Cherynobyl only in the Northeast US?
>
> This really is nothing more than a nuisance as I can tell at a glance
> which
> one is which, and the Documents folder in the favorites section points to
> the
> correct location, but I guess it's more of an OCD type thing. In my mind
> there should be only ONE Documents folder.
>
> Thank You All So Much for your help...
> --
> UNTIL it blows up I think I can fix it. IF it blows up I didn''''''''t
> touch
> it!


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-19-2007
=?Utf-8?B?VmFsZWsgSGF3a2U=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Duplicate Documents Folder inside of Home Folder
Keith,

Thank you so much for the reply, however when I open Windows Explorer and
navigate to C:\Users\%Username% I do not see a My Documents Folder. Now, that
may be because that while I have the option to show hidden files and folders
unchecked, I have the option to Hide Protected Operating System Files
checked. I don't really know. The location in that Documents folder still
points to C:\Users\%Username% and it only has 5 tabs so I'm not really sure
what's going on. As I mentioned earlier though, when I open up the link to my
Personal folder, either through Windows Explorer, on my Desktop, or in any
other folder there are two Documents folders. One points to D:\Documents
(that is the one I use) and the other one which I am believing is the
"original" one created from the clean install of Vista points to
C:\Users\Brian and has 5 Tabs whereas the Documents folder that points to my
D:\Documents has 6 Tabs.
--
UNTIL it blows up I think I can fix it. IF it blows up I didn''''''''t touch
it!


"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

> If the properties dialog for the folder just has five tabs, its nothing
> special & can be deleted.
>
> However, be aware of the normally hidden junctions (i.e. My Documents).
> These appear with the shortcut arrow icon overlay but are file system
> junctions rather than .lnk files. These exist for compatibility with older
> programs & MAY not be needed by the software you run, but it's a good idea
> to keep them around. For example: on a fresh install of Vista, The
> 'C:\Users\Username' folder will contain both the 'Documents' folder & a
> junction named 'My Documents' that points to the 'Documents' folder. If you
> move the 'Documents' folder via the 'Location' tab in its Properties dialog,
> the 'My Documents' link is now broken -- it points to a non-existent folder.
> So, after moving the 'Documents' folder, you should open a Command prompt
> window to your Username folder & execute the following commands: (assuming
> that 'Documents' has been pointed at the folder 'D:\Docs')
>
> rd "My Documents"
> mklink /j "My Documents" "D:\Docs"
> attrib +h +s "My Documents" /L
>
>
> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "Valek Hawke" <ValekHawke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:39F7F138-8DC5-4BEA-9F31-60D91C7CA036@microsoft.com...
> >I changed the location of the default Documents folder to a separate HDD. I
> > accepted the prompt about merging the two locations or whatnot; However,
> > when
> > I open up my Home folder (C:\Users\Brian) there are two documents folders
> > displayed. The Shell folder (I believe) which points to the above path,
> > and
> > the one that was apparently created when I changed the location to D:\ .
> > Can
> > I hide, or get rid of the folder that is not being used? Will doing so
> > like
> > recreate the disaster at Cherynobyl only in the Northeast US?
> >
> > This really is nothing more than a nuisance as I can tell at a glance
> > which
> > one is which, and the Documents folder in the favorites section points to
> > the
> > correct location, but I guess it's more of an OCD type thing. In my mind
> > there should be only ONE Documents folder.
> >
> > Thank You All So Much for your help...
> > --
> > UNTIL it blows up I think I can fix it. IF it blows up I didn''''''''t
> > touch
> > it!

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-19-2007
Keith Miller MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Duplicate Documents Folder inside of Home Folder
Response Inline:

"Valek Hawke" <ValekHawke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5A9888FD-5F6E-4692-BFB5-49F5C4B9E6E6@microsoft.com...
> Keith,
>
> Thank you so much for the reply, however when I open Windows Explorer and
> navigate to C:\Users\%Username% I do not see a My Documents Folder. Now,
> that
> may be because that while I have the option to show hidden files and
> folders
> unchecked, I have the option to Hide Protected Operating System Files
> checked. I don't really know.


That would be the reason -- the junction is flagged as both hidden and
system.

> The location in that Documents folder still
> points to C:\Users\%Username% and it only has 5 tabs so I'm not really
> sure
> what's going on.


There is a 'Location:' field on the general tab of all folders -- that
displays the path to the parent folder. Only the User Shell Folders have a
sixth TAB labeled 'Location.

> As I mentioned earlier though, when I open up the link to my
> Personal folder, either through Windows Explorer, on my Desktop, or in any
> other folder there are two Documents folders. One points to D:\Documents
> (that is the one I use) and the other one which I am believing is the
> "original" one created from the clean install of Vista points to
> C:\Users\Brian and has 5 Tabs whereas the Documents folder that points to
> my
> D:\Documents has 6 Tabs.


You can safely delete the one with 5 tabs.


--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]



> UNTIL it blows up I think I can fix it. IF it blows up I didn''''''''t
> touch
> it!
>
>
> "Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
>
>> If the properties dialog for the folder just has five tabs, its nothing
>> special & can be deleted.
>>
>> However, be aware of the normally hidden junctions (i.e. My Documents).
>> These appear with the shortcut arrow icon overlay but are file system
>> junctions rather than .lnk files. These exist for compatibility with
>> older
>> programs & MAY not be needed by the software you run, but it's a good
>> idea
>> to keep them around. For example: on a fresh install of Vista, The
>> 'C:\Users\Username' folder will contain both the 'Documents' folder & a
>> junction named 'My Documents' that points to the 'Documents' folder. If
>> you
>> move the 'Documents' folder via the 'Location' tab in its Properties
>> dialog,
>> the 'My Documents' link is now broken -- it points to a non-existent
>> folder.
>> So, after moving the 'Documents' folder, you should open a Command prompt
>> window to your Username folder & execute the following commands:
>> (assuming
>> that 'Documents' has been pointed at the folder 'D:\Docs')
>>
>> rd "My Documents"
>> mklink /j "My Documents" "D:\Docs"
>> attrib +h +s "My Documents" /L
>>
>>
>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>
>> "Valek Hawke" <ValekHawke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:39F7F138-8DC5-4BEA-9F31-60D91C7CA036@microsoft.com...
>> >I changed the location of the default Documents folder to a separate
>> >HDD. I
>> > accepted the prompt about merging the two locations or whatnot;
>> > However,
>> > when
>> > I open up my Home folder (C:\Users\Brian) there are two documents
>> > folders
>> > displayed. The Shell folder (I believe) which points to the above path,
>> > and
>> > the one that was apparently created when I changed the location to D:\
>> > .
>> > Can
>> > I hide, or get rid of the folder that is not being used? Will doing so
>> > like
>> > recreate the disaster at Cherynobyl only in the Northeast US?
>> >
>> > This really is nothing more than a nuisance as I can tell at a glance
>> > which
>> > one is which, and the Documents folder in the favorites section points
>> > to
>> > the
>> > correct location, but I guess it's more of an OCD type thing. In my
>> > mind
>> > there should be only ONE Documents folder.
>> >
>> > Thank You All So Much for your help...
>> > --
>> > UNTIL it blows up I think I can fix it. IF it blows up I didn''''''''t
>> > touch
>> > it!

>>
>>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2007
=?Utf-8?B?RG91YmxlZmFjZQ==?=
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Duplicate Documents Folder inside of Home Folder
Hi,

I have the exact same problem, but still can't solve it. I installed Vista
RC1 into C:\ partition, but I want to store my personal files on D:\
partition so when I reinstall Windows I wouldn't have to copy all of them.

So I created D:\Doubleface folder and all those Pictures, Music, ... folders
within. Then I changed the location of all those folders from
c:\Users\Doubleface\... to D:\Doubleface\... and merged them. At first,
everything looked allright except that the Doubleface icon on the desktop
still pinpointed to C:\Users\Doubleface.

Later, duplicate folders started popping up in C:\Users\Doubleface. What the
reason for that?! Should I just delete them and thats it or am I doing sth
wrong? because some of those folders delete, but contacts (with 5 tabs,
the fake one) won't delete. I also see .gtk-bookmarks and ntuser.dat files ,
which is very annoying..

so, is there some clean and easy solution to all this mess?

"Valek Hawke" wrote:

> I changed the location of the default Documents folder to a separate HDD. I
> accepted the prompt about merging the two locations or whatnot; However, when
> I open up my Home folder (C:\Users\Brian) there are two documents folders
> displayed. The Shell folder (I believe) which points to the above path, and
> the one that was apparently created when I changed the location to D:\ . Can
> I hide, or get rid of the folder that is not being used? Will doing so like
> recreate the disaster at Cherynobyl only in the Northeast US?
>
> This really is nothing more than a nuisance as I can tell at a glance which
> one is which, and the Documents folder in the favorites section points to the
> correct location, but I guess it's more of an OCD type thing. In my mind
> there should be only ONE Documents folder.
>
> Thank You All So Much for your help...
> --
> UNTIL it blows up I think I can fix it. IF it blows up I didn''''''''t touch
> it!

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2007
Keith Miller MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Duplicate Documents Folder inside of Home Folder
On a fresh install, the content of 'C:\Users\UserName' and
'Desktop\UserName' appear identical -- user shell folders and, if you're
showing hidden/system files, various NTUSER.DAT files & compatibility
junction points. However, if you opt to relocate some of the shell folders
via the 'Move' button on the 'Location' tab, and accept the option to move
all contents so that the original folder is deleted, you will notice that
the shell folders still appear under 'Desktop\UserName' but not
'C:\Users\UserName'.

The reason for this is that 'Desktop\UserName' is a namespace folder
designed to show the contents of 'C:\Users\UserName' AND the user shell
folders, regardless of their location.

The easiest way to avoid seeing NTUSER.DAT and other clutter is to not show
hidden/system files -- but you probably already knew that and, like me,
prefer seeing everything that's there. You can clean up the look of
'Desktop\UserName' so that it only shows shell folders and not the contents
of 'C:\Users\UserName' by doing the following:

Start Search -> regedit<Enter>

Navigate to:

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ex plorer\UsersFiles\NameSpace\DelegateFolders"

Export this key so you have a way to undo this modification, then delete the
'DelegateFolders' key.

As for the duplicate Documents folder, in the Start Search box on the Start
menu, type:

shellersonal

click in the Breadcrumbs bar to see the actual path of the folder that Vista
thinks is your Documents folder. If it's your 'D:\Doubleface\Documents'
folder, great -- you should be able to delete C:\users\doubleface\Documents
without problem. If 'C:\...\Documents' opens, use the 'Move' button on the
'Location' tab to point it at 'D:\...\Documents', accept the option to move
all files as the will also delete the 'C:\...\Documents' folder.

I think the inability to delete the five tab Contacts folder is probalbly
just a permissions issue -- search Help & Support for 'take ownership'.


--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Doubleface" <Doubleface@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:39752BA4-8C0A-4B68-8387-B8AB7A8D0EF1@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have the exact same problem, but still can't solve it. I installed Vista
> RC1 into C:\ partition, but I want to store my personal files on D:\
> partition so when I reinstall Windows I wouldn't have to copy all of them.
>
> So I created D:\Doubleface folder and all those Pictures, Music, ...
> folders
> within. Then I changed the location of all those folders from
> c:\Users\Doubleface\... to D:\Doubleface\... and merged them. At first,
> everything looked allright except that the Doubleface icon on the desktop
> still pinpointed to C:\Users\Doubleface.
>
> Later, duplicate folders started popping up in C:\Users\Doubleface. What
> the
> reason for that?! Should I just delete them and thats it or am I doing sth
> wrong? because some of those folders delete, but contacts (with 5 tabs,
> the fake one) won't delete. I also see .gtk-bookmarks and ntuser.dat files
> ,
> which is very annoying..
>
> so, is there some clean and easy solution to all this mess?
>
> "Valek Hawke" wrote:
>
>> I changed the location of the default Documents folder to a separate HDD.
>> I
>> accepted the prompt about merging the two locations or whatnot; However,
>> when
>> I open up my Home folder (C:\Users\Brian) there are two documents folders
>> displayed. The Shell folder (I believe) which points to the above path,
>> and
>> the one that was apparently created when I changed the location to D:\ .
>> Can
>> I hide, or get rid of the folder that is not being used? Will doing so
>> like
>> recreate the disaster at Cherynobyl only in the Northeast US?
>>
>> This really is nothing more than a nuisance as I can tell at a glance
>> which
>> one is which, and the Documents folder in the favorites section points to
>> the
>> correct location, but I guess it's more of an OCD type thing. In my mind
>> there should be only ONE Documents folder.
>>
>> Thank You All So Much for your help...
>> --
>> UNTIL it blows up I think I can fix it. IF it blows up I didn''''''''t
>> touch
>> it!


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2007
=?Utf-8?B?RG91YmxlZmFjZQ==?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Duplicate Documents Folder inside of Home Folder
Thanks for the reply, now everything is clear

"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

> On a fresh install, the content of 'C:\Users\UserName' and
> 'Desktop\UserName' appear identical -- user shell folders and, if you're
> showing hidden/system files, various NTUSER.DAT files & compatibility
> junction points. However, if you opt to relocate some of the shell folders
> via the 'Move' button on the 'Location' tab, and accept the option to move
> all contents so that the original folder is deleted, you will notice that
> the shell folders still appear under 'Desktop\UserName' but not
> 'C:\Users\UserName'.
>
> The reason for this is that 'Desktop\UserName' is a namespace folder
> designed to show the contents of 'C:\Users\UserName' AND the user shell
> folders, regardless of their location.
>
> The easiest way to avoid seeing NTUSER.DAT and other clutter is to not show
> hidden/system files -- but you probably already knew that and, like me,
> prefer seeing everything that's there. You can clean up the look of
> 'Desktop\UserName' so that it only shows shell folders and not the contents
> of 'C:\Users\UserName' by doing the following:
>
> Start Search -> regedit<Enter>
>
> Navigate to:
>
> "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ex plorer\UsersFiles\NameSpace\DelegateFolders"
>
> Export this key so you have a way to undo this modification, then delete the
> 'DelegateFolders' key.
>
> As for the duplicate Documents folder, in the Start Search box on the Start
> menu, type:
>
> shellersonal
>
> click in the Breadcrumbs bar to see the actual path of the folder that Vista
> thinks is your Documents folder. If it's your 'D:\Doubleface\Documents'
> folder, great -- you should be able to delete C:\users\doubleface\Documents
> without problem. If 'C:\...\Documents' opens, use the 'Move' button on the
> 'Location' tab to point it at 'D:\...\Documents', accept the option to move
> all files as the will also delete the 'C:\...\Documents' folder.
>
> I think the inability to delete the five tab Contacts folder is probalbly
> just a permissions issue -- search Help & Support for 'take ownership'.
>
>
> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "Doubleface" <Doubleface@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:39752BA4-8C0A-4B68-8387-B8AB7A8D0EF1@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have the exact same problem, but still can't solve it. I installed Vista
> > RC1 into C:\ partition, but I want to store my personal files on D:\
> > partition so when I reinstall Windows I wouldn't have to copy all of them.
> >
> > So I created D:\Doubleface folder and all those Pictures, Music, ...
> > folders
> > within. Then I changed the location of all those folders from
> > c:\Users\Doubleface\... to D:\Doubleface\... and merged them. At first,
> > everything looked allright except that the Doubleface icon on the desktop
> > still pinpointed to C:\Users\Doubleface.
> >
> > Later, duplicate folders started popping up in C:\Users\Doubleface. What
> > the
> > reason for that?! Should I just delete them and thats it or am I doing sth
> > wrong? because some of those folders delete, but contacts (with 5 tabs,
> > the fake one) won't delete. I also see .gtk-bookmarks and ntuser.dat files
> > ,
> > which is very annoying..
> >
> > so, is there some clean and easy solution to all this mess?
> >
> > "Valek Hawke" wrote:
> >
> >> I changed the location of the default Documents folder to a separate HDD.
> >> I
> >> accepted the prompt about merging the two locations or whatnot; However,
> >> when
> >> I open up my Home folder (C:\Users\Brian) there are two documents folders
> >> displayed. The Shell folder (I believe) which points to the above path,
> >> and
> >> the one that was apparently created when I changed the location to D:\ .
> >> Can
> >> I hide, or get rid of the folder that is not being used? Will doing so
> >> like
> >> recreate the disaster at Cherynobyl only in the Northeast US?
> >>
> >> This really is nothing more than a nuisance as I can tell at a glance
> >> which
> >> one is which, and the Documents folder in the favorites section points to
> >> the
> >> correct location, but I guess it's more of an OCD type thing. In my mind
> >> there should be only ONE Documents folder.
> >>
> >> Thank You All So Much for your help...
> >> --
> >> UNTIL it blows up I think I can fix it. IF it blows up I didn''''''''t
> >> touch
> >> it!

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2008
jowe
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Duplicate Documents Folder inside of Home Folder

Ok, I moved my users ducuments, music and pictures to my NAS, but I
cannot create a link to the networkdrive, not even if I mount it as Z:.
Is this working as designed?
TIA,
Jos.


--
jowe
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Documents folder =?Utf-8?B?VGhvbWFz?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 3 03-19-2007 18:40
My Documents folder being emptied =?Utf-8?B?Y25jZ3V5MjAwMA==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 1 03-19-2007 07:14
Duplicate Favorites Folder in Documents =?Utf-8?B?QWRyaWFuIEI=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 5 03-10-2007 01:11
Documents Folder Playing Up =?Utf-8?B?UFBL?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 3 03-09-2007 19:21
Deleted Documents Folder =?Utf-8?B?dGlwcGllMjAwMA==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 03-01-2007 08:42




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:48.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120