Files merge when I replace a folder?

just bob

Files merge when I replace a folder?
When I drag and drop a folder to replace a folder with the same name,
instead of replacing the contents it leaves behind files it should have
deleted in the replace action.

Setup a test as if you have two folders with the same name and same contents
on two different drives (you can actually do the test on one drive). One
folder is your backup and one is your working folder. You decide to cleanup
the working folder and delete one or more files. Then you decide to replace
the backup folder. When you copy the primary folder to the parent of the
backup folder, you are asked if you want to replace the folder. When you
answer Yes, the folder is copied to the destination, but the files you
deleted from the primary folder are still there in the backup folder. Now I
can see how this would be a benefit to those who often make mistakes when
doing backups and file management like this but for me this feature is
annoying. It means I have to first delete the backup folder before making a
backup.

Here is another way to explaining this:

C:\Working\Photos\Image1.jpg, image2.jpg
D:\Backup\Photos\Image1.jpg, image2.jpg

Delete Image2.jpg from folder C:\Working\Photos

Drag and drop C:\Working\Photos to D:\Backup

Prompted to replace folder D:\Backup\Photos

Contents of D:\Backup\Photos still contains image2.jpg

Instead of replacing D:\Backup\Photos it merged the files.

I would really like to know what MS calls this feature and how to turn it
off.

-Bob

just bob

Re: Files merge when I replace a folder?
So... does everyone accept this is the way it is supposed to happen? Maybe
I'm stuck in Windows 95 shell mode!

My Dad tried it on his Windows 2000 box and said that is how his works, too.
Was it as far bas as Windows when replacing a folder didn't really replace a
folder?

"just bob" <kilbyfan-aol@net.com> wrote in message
> When I drag and drop a folder to replace a folder with the same name,
> instead of replacing the contents it leaves behind files it should have
> deleted in the replace action.
>
> Setup a test as if you have two folders with the same name and same
> contents on two different drives (you can actually do the test on one
> drive). One folder is your backup and one is your working folder. You
> decide to cleanup the working folder and delete one or more files. Then
> you decide to replace the backup folder. When you copy the primary folder
> to the parent of the backup folder, you are asked if you want to replace
> the folder. When you answer Yes, the folder is copied to the destination,
> but the files you deleted from the primary folder are still there in the
> backup folder. Now I can see how this would be a benefit to those who
> often make mistakes when doing backups and file management like this but
> for me this feature is annoying. It means I have to first delete the
> backup folder before making a backup.
>
> Here is another way to explaining this:
>
> C:\Working\Photos\Image1.jpg, image2.jpg
> D:\Backup\Photos\Image1.jpg, image2.jpg
>
> Delete Image2.jpg from folder C:\Working\Photos
>
> Drag and drop C:\Working\Photos to D:\Backup
>
> Prompted to replace folder D:\Backup\Photos
>
> Contents of D:\Backup\Photos still contains image2.jpg
>
> Instead of replacing D:\Backup\Photos it merged the files.
>

> I would really like to know what MS calls this feature and how to turn it
> off.
>
> -Bob

=?Utf-8?B?YXJ0?=

Re: Files merge when I replace a folder?
Bob,

I hear you. Recently I bought a second computer and I've been copying my
working folder between work and home and today I realize this. What a piss
off! I too seem to be stuck in the good old days of DOS and 95. By trying to
oversimplify an operating system, it's reaching a point where it's becoming a
problem if you've an iota of brain in you. I asked my IT guy and he didn't
even know what it used to be otherwise, he thinks this is the way it always
worked. Bill, please don't do this to us ....