Unzipping Files

amc1991

Unzipping Files
I've had some pictures sent from my uncle in America of his house and they
were sent in a zipped folder...
i unzipped it...but then the files inside are for some reason are zipped and
it wont allow me to extract the file...im so confused and i have no idea
about what i need to do...

anyone care to help???
Malke

Re: Unzipping Files
amc1991 wrote:

> I've had some pictures sent from my uncle in America of his house and they
> were sent in a zipped folder...
> i unzipped it...but then the files inside are for some reason are zipped
> and it wont allow me to extract the file...im so confused and i have no
> idea about what i need to do...

You forgot to tell us what happens when you try to extract the files. Such
as if there is an error message, exactly what it says. Or even "nothing
happens at all".

In the short term, it sounds to me like your uncle doesn't know how to
create a zipped archive and has done something wonky. Ask him to get help
making a zipped archive and resend the pictures or suggest that posting
them to an online web album (Google Web Album, Flickr) would be an even
better alternative.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
amc1991

Re: Unzipping Files

"Malke" wrote:

> amc1991 wrote:
>
> > I've had some pictures sent from my uncle in America of his house and they
> > were sent in a zipped folder...
> > i unzipped it...but then the files inside are for some reason are zipped
> > and it wont allow me to extract the file...im so confused and i have no
> > idea about what i need to do...

> You forgot to tell us what happens when you try to extract the files. Such
> as if there is an error message, exactly what it says. Or even "nothing
> happens at all".
>
> In the short term, it sounds to me like your uncle doesn't know how to
> create a zipped archive and has done something wonky. Ask him to get help
> making a zipped archive and resend the pictures or suggest that posting
> them to an online web album (Google Web Album, Flickr) would be an even
> better alternative.
>

> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

oh...it says that it cannot open the file and acces denied

Justin Martin [MSFT]

Re: Unzipping Files
"amc1991" wrote:

> "Malke" wrote:
>
> > amc1991 wrote:
> >
> > > I've had some pictures sent from my uncle in America of his house and they
> > > were sent in a zipped folder...
> > > i unzipped it...but then the files inside are for some reason are zipped
> > > and it wont allow me to extract the file...im so confused and i have no
> > > idea about what i need to do...

> > You forgot to tell us what happens when you try to extract the files. Such
> > as if there is an error message, exactly what it says. Or even "nothing
> > happens at all".
> >
> > In the short term, it sounds to me like your uncle doesn't know how to
> > create a zipped archive and has done something wonky. Ask him to get help
> > making a zipped archive and resend the pictures or suggest that posting
> > them to an online web album (Google Web Album, Flickr) would be an even
> > better alternative.
> >

> > Malke
> > --
> > MS-MVP
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > Don't Panic!
> >

> oh...it says that it cannot open the file and acces denied

Your uncle should be able to select the files that he wants to send
(drag-select or ctrl/shift+left click), and then right click one and choose
"Send To > Compressed (zipped) folder". If he's using some other application
to create the zip file we may or may not be able to extract them. Your other
option is to get the same application he used to create the Zip. Also, make
sure you save the file on the local machine before trying to extract the
contents. That may cause issues otherwise.