resize partition

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyY2VsbG8=?=

resize partition
My new notebook cam with two partitions (systempartition and a logical drive
for data). Now I want to shrink the systempartition and expand the datadrive.
With the drive utility of vista home premium I can only shrink the
partitions. The command for expanding the partitions is on both partitions
inactive.
The actual situation is: c (system) 64.1 GB 28.4 free; d (data) 42.7 GB 12.6
free.
I have also tried to shrink c:. This worked fine, but now not defined 5 GB
e. g. I could not add to d:.
Has anybody an idea what I can do. Thanks in advance from little switzerland.
Marcello

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: resize partition
Marcello

There several issues with expanding a volume. Open Disk Management, click
Help and search for "Expand Volume" to see the step by step process.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Marcello" <Marcello@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My new notebook cam with two partitions (systempartition and a logical
> drive
> for data). Now I want to shrink the systempartition and expand the
> datadrive.
> With the drive utility of vista home premium I can only shrink the
> partitions. The command for expanding the partitions is on both partitions
> inactive.
> The actual situation is: c (system) 64.1 GB 28.4 free; d (data) 42.7 GB
> 12.6
> free.
> I have also tried to shrink c:. This worked fine, but now not defined 5 GB
> e. g. I could not add to d:.
> Has anybody an idea what I can do. Thanks in advance from little
> switzerland.
> Marcello

Michal Kawecki

Re: resize partition
"Marcello" <Marcello@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My new notebook cam with two partitions (systempartition and a logical
> drive
> for data). Now I want to shrink the systempartition and expand the
> datadrive.
> With the drive utility of vista home premium I can only shrink the
> partitions. The command for expanding the partitions is on both
> partitions
> inactive.
> The actual situation is: c (system) 64.1 GB 28.4 free; d (data) 42.7
> GB 12.6
> free.
> I have also tried to shrink c:. This worked fine, but now not defined
> 5 GB
> e. g. I could not add to d:.
> Has anybody an idea what I can do. Thanks in advance from little
> switzerland.
> Marcello

It's because your logical drive is in fact on extended partition. You
must first move that partition in the direction of beginning of free
space, then you can expand it and also logical volume on it. Use BootIt
Next Generation http://www.terabyteunlimited.com , it don't require
installation on hdd.
--
M. [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
/before private reply change px with pl in my e-mail address/

AdamBerko

Re: resize partition

I encountered the same problem. Vista Disk management let me shrink my
left most partition (Lwwhich created free nonallocated space between
my leftmost partition and my rightmost partition (R. when truing to
exppand my rightmost partition (R into the free space on its left,
Vista insisted to convert my disk to a dynamic disk, would not work
otherwise. This was the case both when R: was a primary partition and
when R: was a logical partition within an extended partition. Converting
the disk to a dynamic disk is not a good idea if it contains the
operative system why I had to abort the operation. Seems Vista will
expand without convertion to a dynamic disk only if the free space is to
the right of the expended partition. Naughty Vista.

--
AdamBerko