Saving files with name variation

=?Utf-8?B?Y3NjajAx?=

Saving files with name variation
Under XP, if I wanted to save a new file in a directory from an application,
I could navigate to that directory, pick a file from that directory, change
its name in the filename box, and click save, and my new file was saved. If
I try to do the same with Vista, I am prompted as to whether I want to
replace the original file I clicked rather than saving the file with the new
name I have altered in the filename box. Obviously, I have selected a new
name for the file, but Vista seems to think I am trying to replace the one I
chose for a file name template. What is going on here?
=?Utf-8?B?QXV4Q294?=

RE: Saving files with name variation
I'm looking for an answer to the same question. This is one of the numerous
quirks in Vista that make it very unfriendly.
--
AuxCox, Beverly, MA

"cscj01" wrote:

> Under XP, if I wanted to save a new file in a directory from an application,
> I could navigate to that directory, pick a file from that directory, change
> its name in the filename box, and click save, and my new file was saved. If
> I try to do the same with Vista, I am prompted as to whether I want to
> replace the original file I clicked rather than saving the file with the new
> name I have altered in the filename box. Obviously, I have selected a new
> name for the file, but Vista seems to think I am trying to replace the one I
> chose for a file name template. What is going on here?

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Saving files with name variation
I only see this behavior if 'Single Click to Open an Item' has been selected
in Folder Options. If you say 'No' to replace, you then have the text
waiting to be altered in the filename box. If 'Double-click to open an
item' is selected, it will work the way you expect.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

> I only see this behavior if 'Single Click to Open an Item' has been selected
> in Folder Options. If you say 'No' to replace, you then have the text
> waiting to be altered in the filename box. If 'Double-click to open an
> item' is selected, it will work the way you expect.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "cscj01" <cscj01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Under XP, if I wanted to save a new file in a directory from an
> > application,
> > I could navigate to that directory, pick a file from that directory,
> > change
> > its name in the filename box, and click save, and my new file was saved.
> > If
> > I try to do the same with Vista, I am prompted as to whether I want to
> > replace the original file I clicked rather than saving the file with the
> > new
> > name I have altered in the filename box. Obviously, I have selected a new
> > name for the file, but Vista seems to think I am trying to replace the one
> > chose for a file name template. What is going on here?

> Unfortunately, that is not a solution for me. I have "Double-click to open an item (single-click to select)" checked. I have NEVER had "Single-click to open an item (point to select)" checked.

Keith Miller MVP

> "Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
>
>> I only see this behavior if 'Single Click to Open an Item' has been
>> selected
>> in Folder Options. If you say 'No' to replace, you then have the text
>> waiting to be altered in the filename box. If 'Double-click to open an
>> item' is selected, it will work the way you expect.
>>

>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>
>> "cscj01" <cscj01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Under XP, if I wanted to save a new file in a directory from an
>> > application,
>> > I could navigate to that directory, pick a file from that directory,
>> > change
>> > its name in the filename box, and click save, and my new file was
>> > saved.
>> > If
>> > I try to do the same with Vista, I am prompted as to whether I want to
>> > replace the original file I clicked rather than saving the file with
>> > the
>> > new
>> > name I have altered in the filename box. Obviously, I have selected a
>> > new
>> > name for the file, but Vista seems to think I am trying to replace the
>> > one
>> > chose for a file name template. What is going on here?

>> Unfortunately, that is not a solution for me. I have "Double-click to
>> open an item (single-click to select)" checked. I have NEVER had
>> "Single-click to open an item (point to select)" checked.

Hmm...Do the filenames become underlined when you mouse-over them in the
Save As dialog?

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

=?Utf-8?B?Y3NjajAx?=

Re: Saving files with name variation
No, the file names do not change in any way. The strange thing is, I can
select the overwrite function while the varied name remains in the file name
box. Later, I find that the original file is there along with the new file.
While this seems to be s bug in MS, the action has been over the last couple
of weeks has been as if he file did not exist and one was created without
replacing the other.

Sorry for the delay, but I am recovering from back surgery and have been out
of action for the last few weeks.