Serious Acronis TrueImage problem

Synapse Syndrome

Serious Acronis TrueImage problem
When restoring a system drive with TrueImage, all symbolic links, hard links
and directory junctions seem to turn into normal folders!

Isn't this a major problem?? How come nobody has mentioned this before??

ss.

Richard Urban

Re: Serious Acronis TrueImage problem
I have restored my drive about 10-15 times now (lots of testing). I am also
using the latest version of TrueImage HOME (Vista ready). I have never had
this happen. Maybe you are an anomaly.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote in message
> When restoring a system drive with TrueImage, all symbolic links, hard
> links and directory junctions seem to turn into normal folders!
>
> Isn't this a major problem?? How come nobody has mentioned this before??
>
> ss.

Billy

Re: Serious Acronis TrueImage problem
I too have restored an HP laptop several times with HOME TI 10 and have had
no issues at all. perect each time! Hope that you get a solution.

Billy
>I have restored my drive about 10-15 times now (lots of testing). I am also
>using the latest version of TrueImage HOME (Vista ready). I have never had
>this happen. Maybe you are an anomaly.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban MVP
> Microsoft Windows Shell/User
>

> "Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote in message
>> When restoring a system drive with TrueImage, all symbolic links, hard
>> links and directory junctions seem to turn into normal folders!
>>
>> Isn't this a major problem?? How come nobody has mentioned this before??
>>
>> ss.

MICHAEL

Re: Serious Acronis TrueImage problem

"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote in message
> When restoring a system drive with TrueImage, all symbolic links, hard links and directory
> junctions seem to turn into normal folders!
>
> Isn't this a major problem?? How come nobody has mentioned this before??
>
> ss.

Strange.
I've tested the images I created with TrueImage a few times,
and I've not had any problems.

-Michael

Mark Rae

"Billy" <billynicol@btinternet.com> wrote in message

>I too have restored an HP laptop several times with HOME TI 10 and have had
>no issues at all. perect each time!

Me too.

Dennis_N

Re: Serious Acronis TrueImage problem
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 15:24:01 -0000, "Synapse Syndrome"
<synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote:

>When restoring a system drive with TrueImage, all symbolic links, hard links
>and directory junctions seem to turn into normal folders!
>
>Isn't this a major problem?? How come nobody has mentioned this before??
>
>ss.

I saw something about that happening if you made some registry
changes/hack to move the users folder away from the system drive.

It was in one of the ms.public.vista groups.

Regards
philo

Re: Serious Acronis TrueImage problem

<snip>

.. Maybe you are an anomaly.

Are you saying the OP is an anomaly or simply that his results have been
anomalous <G>

Synapse Syndrome

"Dennis_N" <dn@nospam.dk> wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 15:24:01 -0000, "Synapse Syndrome"
> <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote:
>
>>When restoring a system drive with TrueImage, all symbolic links, hard
>>links
>>and directory junctions seem to turn into normal folders!
>>
>>Isn't this a major problem?? How come nobody has mentioned this before??
>>
>>ss.
>>

> I saw something about that happening if you made some registry
> changes/hack to move the users folder away from the system drive.
>
> It was in one of the ms.public.vista groups.

Yes! this is what I have done. I have moved all but Desktop onto a RAID1
array. So that narrows it down at least.

This is really pretty bad, as there are a lot of standard hardlinks in the
User folder, and I have added a bunch of junctions as well. It will be
quite painstaking to find them all and make a batch file to delete them and
remake them.

I just checked the virtual machines with TrueImage and they are just single
drive/partition installations which don't suffer from this problem, but with
my new way of organising things it looks like restoring images is going to
be more work this way rather than less.

ss.

Dennis_N

Re: Serious Acronis TrueImage problem
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 16:16:16 -0000, "Synapse Syndrome"
<synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote:

>Yes! this is what I have done. I have moved all but Desktop onto a RAID1
>array. So that narrows it down at least.
>
>This is really pretty bad, as there are a lot of standard hardlinks in the
>User folder, and I have added a bunch of junctions as well. It will be
>quite painstaking to find them all and make a batch file to delete them and
>remake them.

Ups...

>I just checked the virtual machines with TrueImage and they are just single
>drive/partition installations which don't suffer from this problem, but with
>my new way of organising things it looks like restoring images is going to
>be more work this way rather than less.
>
>ss.

Yeah.. but one wonders though... Shouldn't Acronis make an 'image' of
the HDD ? - then why is these changes not backed up with the image ? ¨
That's kind of odd....

Your image was created AFTER you made these changes right ?

Regards
DevilsPGD

Re: Serious Acronis TrueImage problem
In message <uDuSW1KaHHA.1508@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl> "philo"
<philo@privacy.net> wrote:

><snip>
>

>. Maybe you are an anomaly.
>>

>Are you saying the OP is an anomaly or simply that his results have been
>anomalous <G>

Can't it be both?
--
Insert something clever here.